User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

Life's too short to worry about what I'd do in a situation where we'd all be fucked anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    We're realistically looking at an outbreak of incurable gonorrhea in North America. That's the 2nd most common STD. If there was ever a reason to become extra cautious about using protection during sex, this is it.
    It's a real erection killer though.

Trying to decide which is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i would continue to do what all the smart people should do today; avoid antibiotics as much as possible. sadly most people are ignorant fools who cant think even half step beyond their own belly button in the current situation, so they just take the antibiotics described by the idiot doctor(who is dictated by the pharmaceutical industry), even when there is no real reason for taking them. i wont even start to talk about idiots running some countries which allow some common antibiotics to be sold over the counter..
    I wish this was the case in Britain, you can have 120 degrees body temperature and the bastards won't give you an antibiotic.

In the other country I lived you're right, it's freely available over counter.

I don't consider myself a fool for not knowing something which is not widely publicised and I'd have no reason to suspect. Maybe you are right about the risk though.

A question though have you ever had an ear infection?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Wash your hands
    The major risk is infection when taken to a hospital especially if you have surgery.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP

Not just in a hospital, but anywhere and everywhere

We know this, but we won't often make use of this knowledge

MBTI
    ISTP

This might help:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-21187598

"Eventually this could be used to separate white blood cells, for example."

Just imagine what else it could target...

Although, I am not terribly concerned with this at least on a mass epidemic scale. If a certain disease becomes incurable, it'll just go on the list with all the rest of the diseases without a cure. Although every single on of those is a gigantic problem in itself, they're not threatening to wipe out humanity.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    I wish this was the case in Britain, you can have 120 degrees body temperature and the bastards won't give you an antibiotic.

In the other country I lived you're right, it's freely available over counter.

I don't consider myself a fool for not knowing something which is not widely publicised and I'd have no reason to suspect. Maybe you are right about the risk though.

A question though have you ever had an ear infection?
    you dont always need antibiotics if you have a high fever, they are only needed vs some specific bacteria which your body has hard time getting rid of on its own.

the risks have been widely publicized, at least in some countries and personally i see this info as a common knowledge that everyone should be aware of.

yes, i used to have ear infections as a kid and yes i had to take some antibiotics. but you know my point is that antibiotics should be used more carefully, so that bacteria doesent come resistant to it. also when going against different types of bacteria(like these ear infections you mentioned vs common flu), they use different antibiotics and bacteria starts to develop resistance against a particular antibiotics and while developing more resistance, the antibiotics need to be modified so that the bacteria would lack the resistance, but if this new antibiotic is abused, the bacteria develops resistances against this new antibiotic also, so you need to make a new one to fight the bacteria, then it gets resistances against that one too and its a cycle that makes the bacteria worse and worse and in no time we wont be able to fight it anymore. if you take penicillin for example and go back before it was abused, it was like some miracle drug that could cure all, now the earlier strains are useless against pretty much anything and we had to develop new strains, out of which many are also useless now..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i hope people who have abused antibiotics are happy about this
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's kind of ironic that something that once helped us could now kill us.

Antibiotic resistant bacteria is scary as fuck. Why aren't people more concerned about this as an issue? You hear people talk about global warming and terrorism but rarely is this issue mentioned.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post

Antibiotic resistant bacteria is scary as fuck. Why aren't people more concerned about this as an issue? You hear people talk about global warming and terrorism but rarely is this issue mentioned.
    Because antibiotics are important for the profits of the medical industry, pharmaceutical companies, and the agricultural industry. Something akin to 80% of all antibiotic use is actually on livestock - not humans. If you take a look at some of the biggest lobbyists in the United States... Medical, Pharma, and Agriculture are all way up there. Which means any legislation that might regulate antibiotic use doesn't make it anywhere on Capitol Hill because it's being shot down by the politicians that rely on money from those lobbyists.

Agriculture companies have too much to lose to worry about a silly little thing like a pandemic.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

There are no new antibiotics (the way that antibiotics are perceived) but there are so many new alternatives to antibiotics right now.
    That's number one. Number two is that resistance to antibiotics is intrinsically linked to abuse in their usage. So first thing to do is re-educate doctors that prescribe antibiotics and the general public that takes them. Or regulate in some way the ridiculous amounts of money that are made by pharmaceutic companies. Another road to go is to regulate the antibiotics given to poultry and other animals in the nutrition market, so that these antibiotics don't trickle down to us. Europe has regulations on this since 2005, but the same can't be said of the US and Asia (and Europe imports a lot of poultry from Asia).
    So, at the end of the day, I don't want to imagine what would happen if there was a case of antibiotic resistant pandemics (it's not even anything new, just think about the black plague or any other pandemics that has happened in history), but I'd like to discuss the facts and do something about it.