First 345

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I don't think that's really a problem with "the system," that's a problem with the people electing the wrong representatives, and not holding them responsible for their actions when they accept corporate donations, etc. It's important that the people, (and that includes organizations of people) be able to petition the government for grievances. But the representatives need to be held responsible when they respond to and accept the wrong kind of "petitioning." Trying to legally define what is and isn't allowed though makes the government less sensitive to the needs and demands of the people. We need more powerful watchdog groups, not legislation.
    I think I disagree. I mean, watchdog groups are great as far as they go, but until we have real campaign finance reform and deal with legal bribery, it doesn't matter who we vote for, they are going to be bought and paid for by the people who paid to get them in office and who reward them and their families for favoring their interests. Doing something about Citizens United and maybe switching to the public funding of elections would, IMO, be a step in the right direction. And it's a pipe dream, but compulsory voting would also improve things. Right now we darn near go out of our way to exclude certain groups of citizens from voting. I think it ought to be the other way around.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    xxTP

Scandinavian countries are pretty un-corrupt. As is the UK and Northern Europe as a whole

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Scandinavian countries are pretty un-corrupt. As is the UK and Northern Europe as a whole
    The UK is not corruption free. I don't know enough about the Scandinavian countries to argue with you about them, but I doubt they're really shining beacons either.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    The UK is not corruption free. I don't know enough about the Scandinavian countries to argue with you about them, but I doubt they're really shining beacons either.
    I didn'tsay corruption-free, as that would be impossible to know. I said pretty un-corrupt.

To be clear I was comparing to most of the world, and not to USA as I don't have much knowledge of that latter country. Though I don't believe it to be especiallly corrupt, obviously they had a much greater mixing of cultures than UK, which had its effects.

I do consider Scandinavian countries to be shining beacons in many senses, including this one. I doubt you will find many studies criticisng their transparency or corruption.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Got to love Ausermany
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Corruption by Country

If we want to know how corrupt our country is click on http://transparency.org/country and type our country's name in the upper right hand corner under 'Country/Territory'.

And if we are concerned about corruption, we can join our local chapter of Transparency International.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Border and country is not a label.
    every label has a border
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I do consider Scandinavian countries to be shining beacons in many senses, including this one. I doubt you will find many studies criticisng their transparency or corruption.
    Well, I'd be willing to accept that they may be an ideal example of how to run a country in other ways (welfare, etc), if that's what you look for in a country, but that's a separate issue from corruption, which I think is pretty much present to a similar degree in most first-world countries, regardless of any other differences.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    every label has a border
    Every santa has white beard and rosy cheeks.