User Tag List

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default What's this? What's this? Gay Scouts, oh gee, officially? Could it be?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...193808487.html

Boy Scouts considering end to ban on gays

The Boy Scouts of America is considering an end to its longstanding policy of banning gay Scouts and Scout leaders, the organization said on Monday.

The new policy would eliminate the ban on gays from the organization's national rules, allowing local chapters to decide for themselves.

“The BSA is discussing potentially removing the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation," Deron Smith, a spokesman for the Boy Scouts of America, wrote in an email to Yahoo News. "This would mean there would no longer be any national policy regarding sexual orientation, but that the chartered organizations that oversee and deliver Scouting would accept membership and select leaders consistent with their organization’s mission, principles or religious beliefs..."
    Basically, they'd stop dictating "no gay scouts" and just let the local chapters choose what they wanted to do.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I would be so happy if this change was adopted. I'm tired of being called a homophobe for proudly supporting the BSA and all the good work they do.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I would be so happy if this change was adopted. I'm tired of being called a homophobe for proudly supporting the BSA and all the good work they do.
    My impression from scanning the news over the last few years has been that there are those in the organization who are fine with gay scouts; they evaluate young men and leaders on merit and contribution, not on sexual preference. The whole preference thing seems to have become an unfortunate derail, overshadowing positive aspects of Scouting.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

I thought Scouts are gay.

Maybe it's high time the word pansy is used instead of gay.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I thought Scouts are gay.

Maybe it's high time the word pansy is used instead of gay.
    That's so pansy for you to say.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's so pansy for you to say.
    Accusing others of being pansy is the best way to not sound pansy.

That's what jerks and bullies do.

That's what I did and that's what you just did.

Meanie!

Delegating shame. Good idea.

My impression from scanning the news over the last few years has been that there are those in the organization who are fine with gay scouts; they evaluate young men and leaders on merit and contribution, not on sexual preference. The whole preference thing seems to have become an unfortunate derail, overshadowing positive aspects of Scouting.
    This is absolutely true. On a local level, the national edict against gay Scouts and gay leaders is frequently ignored. The proposed change in national policy is already the de facto policy for many localities. It would still be nice to hear them say it.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...193808487.html

Basically, they'd stop dictating "no gay scouts" and just let the local chapters choose what they wanted to do.
    There probably isn't going to be a lot of change occurring.