User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 129

  1. #101
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The USA is a country of ideology rather than a country of history and this is reflected in the Constitution of the USA.

    By contrast the Constitution of Australia is a working document of how to govern. The Australian Constitution is devoid of ideology.

    Unfortunately, under the influence of the USA, attempts are being made to introduce ideology into our Constitution. But fortunately we have made it difficult to change our Constitution so we continue to operate with a practical work-a-day document.

    And naturally we keep in mind that ideology is -

    1. predigested thought

    2. it serves interests

    3. and has a demonology
    Aren't you a fan of the Enlightenment? Or am I mistaking you for someone else? Because that was the ideology behind the American Revolution.

    As for demonology, can you clarify? Most of the things it drives a wedge between is people who want to live without fear of being killed for their beliefs or their property or assembling in protest, and those who would want to establish state religions, sieze property, and silence free speech. The latter are considered "bad", but calling it demonizing is a kind of dramatic. And also makes the ones considered bad to be "victims". When they're not. The constitution tries to protect victims from predators. It's just basic human rights.

    If you want to talk about demonology, Google a video with the query "witch burning Africa". When I saw that, I was stunned. And few things stun me anymore. And that is what America was like before it's Constitution too.. before people finally wrestled it from the grasp of fanatics (to this day, we still have to remain vigilant, but the Constitution has served as a good defense against this behavior).

  2. #102
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Aren't you a fan of the Enlightenment? Or am I mistaking you for someone else?
    The the Scottish and English Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries was based on evidence and reason rather than ideology.

  3. #103
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    the ideology behind the American Revolution.
    The ideology behind the revolt (1775-1783) against lawful authority was bourgeois ideology.

  4. #104
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The the Scottish and English Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries was based on evidence and reason rather than ideology.
    So, the American colonists who are influenced by Locke and Rousseau are somehow not really products of the Enlightenment.... because of why again? Do they somehow magically become void just for being American?

    For someone who is championing Reason, you're not even being remotely logically consistent.

  5. #105
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    As for demonology, can you clarify?
    The bourgeois ideology of the unlawful revolt of 1775 to 1783 demonised the British, your very own people. And even today in American movies the bad guy, the demon, is often British.

  6. #106
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    The constitution tries to protect victims from predators. It's just basic human rights.
    Your Constitution has failed to protect children from institutional child abuse.

    So when you follow the lead of Ireland and Australia and have a Judicial Enquiry into institutional child abuse, you may talk consistently about protecting victims from predators.

  7. #107
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The bourgeois ideology of the unlawful revolt of 1775 to 1783 demonised the British, your very own people. And even today in American movies the bad guy, the demon, is often British.
    American movies? Really? That's how you make assessments? I suggest just talking to more people on the ground. Not the airwaves.

    In any case, I think the two countries shared a lot of fascination and "cross pollination" with the other's pop culture. People tend to like Beatles and Elvis equally. Some of the biggest American pop culture icons are played by British actors (Batman and Spider-Man are both UK actors). Everyone loves Sherlock Holmes and James Bond. Etc..

  8. #108
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    So, the American colonists who are influenced by Locke and Rousseau are somehow not really products of the Enlightenment.... because of why again? Do they somehow magically become void just for being American?

    For someone who is championing Reason, you're not even being remotely logically consistent.
    The revolt against lawful authority was based on the killing of your own people.

    And as well the revolt was based on killing the archtypal father, the King. The revolt was patricidal.

    And just as any revolt eats its own children, you killed huge numbers of your own people in your civil war. And the civil war was based on the killing of your archetypal brother. So the civil war was fratricidal.

    Patricide and fratricide are paranoid rather then reasonable.

    And we see this unreason today in paranoia against your own democratically elected government - I know a reasonable person will find this hard to believe, but you are actually armed against the very government you democratically elect.

    Your patricide and fratricide has driven you to the madness of paranoia.

    And those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make mad.

  9. #109
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The revolt against lawful authority was based on the killing of your own people.

    And as well the revolt was based on killing the archtypal father, the King. The revolt was patricidal.

    And just as any revolt eats its own children, you killed huge numbers of your own people in your civil war. And the civil war was based on the killing of your archetypal brother. So the civil war was fratricidal.

    Patricide and fratricide are paranoid rather then reasonable.

    And we see this unreason today in paranoia against your own democratically elected government - I know a reasonable person will find this hard to believe, but you are actually armed against the very government you democratically elect.

    Your patricide and fratricide had driven you to the madness of paranoia.

    And those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad.
    Next time you write to me, look at my avatar picture. That's me. Picture me in a room talking to you. Then relax. I'm not "driven by patricide and in the madness of paranoia". And whatever else you wrote above. I'm just a guy drinking a late night coffee, and casually writing some forum posts to you.

    I guess I'll cut this short. I'm not going to satisfy your need for this fantasy of whatever I'm supposed to represent. I'll talk again when you come back to reality.

  10. #110
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Next time you write to me, look at my avatar picture. That's me. Picture me in a room talking to you. Then relax. I'm not "driven by patricide and in the madness of paranoia". And whatever else you wrote above. I'm just a guy drinking a late night coffee, and casually writing some forum posts to you.

    I guess I'll cut this short. I'm not going to satisfy your need for this fantasy of whatever I'm supposed to represent. I'll talk again when you come back to reality.
    There's reality and there are the archetypes. I write on both levels at once.

Similar Threads

  1. Taking it again from the top: Root defintions of the functions
    By Eric B in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-25-2017, 04:55 PM
  2. George McFly from "Back to the future"
    By Malcontent in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM
  3. Taking Communism away from the Communists: The Origins of Modern American Liberalism
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 01:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO