User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: USA attacks Oz

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Most Americans don't even recognize that "Oz" is shorthand for "Australia" in some places.

I admit, having influence behind the scenes into another country's legislative body does not sit well with me, especially as Australia seems to like its gun ban, so I don't support the U.S. "agents" here.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It is not the government of the USA that is attacking us but the National Rifle Association of America together with the big American tobacco companies.
    Did you get that from reading Doonesbury?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    They also have that horrible mining heiress. My impression is, that as a whole, their government isn't quite as dominated by corporate interests as our own, though.

I was thinking the other day about why Australia doesn't have a gun culture like we do, since there are some parallels between the European settlement of both places. I mean, Europe kind of makes sense because by the time guns were being mass produced, most of their big scary animals were mostly extinct and a lot of the forest was just kept as a luxury item so rich people could hunt.

When the US was being colonized and populated, there were still bears and wolves and cougars running around, so Joe Homesteader needed a way to protect himself, his family, and his livestock from those things. Australia has a *lot* of scary critters, but I think the most of the big scary ones live in and near the water and it isn't very effective to shoot spiders, snakes, and other creepy crawlies.

But that was just my ill-informed, half-baked theory. No idea if it has any bearing in reality.
    I think one of the biggest contributors is that most other nations, even when colonized, were established with some kind of order.

The US was too, when it was first made, but then there was an industrial revolution and a mad dash for land and gold and people just clusterfucked to the west faster than things could be organized (leading to the frontiers and the wild west)

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I think one of the biggest contributors is that most other nations, even when colonized, were established with some kind of order.

The US was too, when it was first made, but then there was an industrial revolution and a mad dash for land and gold and people just clusterfucked to the west faster than things could be organized (leading to the frontiers and the wild west)
    Yes, and that was the government's doing for colluding with railroad companies to build railroads to the west at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Did you get that from reading Doonesbury?
    We get on well with the government of the USA. We have three treaties in good repair with the government of the USA, a military treaty, an economic treaty and a land treaty. (As we live on opposite sides of the Earth, can you guess what the land we have a treaty over?)

Also for the last 100 years we have fought beside the USA government in every major conflict.

Doonesbury, though, is a window into the soul of America. But which part of America's soul do you identify with? Is it Zonker? Or Mike Doonesbury perhaps? Or even Drew?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

We get on well with the government of the USA. We have three treaties in good repair with the government of the USA, a military treaty, an economic treaty and a land treaty. (As we live on opposite sides of the Earth, can you guess what the land we have a treaty over?)

Also for the last 100 years we have fought beside the USA government in every major conflict.

Doonesbury, though, is a window into the soul of America. But which part of America's soul do you identify with? Is it Zonker? Or Mike Doonesbury perhaps? Or even Drew?
    It is only someone's humorous interpretation of America's soul, zeitgeist, whatever.

It is only someone's humorous interpretation of America's soul, zeitgeist, whatever.
    In facetia veritas.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

In facetia veritas.
    It's Latin so it must be true, right?

It's Latin so it must be true, right?
    Well, Rome lasted a thousand years speaking Latin.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

It is not the government of the USA that is attacking us but the National Rifle Association of America together with the big American tobacco companies.
    I don't know how "attempting to influence" ever came to mean attack, but whatever. Don't like it, fight back. Don't let us into your back yard if you don't want us there. Your country, your business. You don't have to listen.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window