User Tag List

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Default Gun Laws and the Fools of Chelm

@Beorn @DiscoBiscuit

Quote Originally Posted by David Mamet
    The Founding Fathers, far from being ideologues, were not even politicians. They were an assortment of businessmen, writers, teachers, planters; men, in short, who knew something of the world, which is to say, of Human Nature. Their struggle to draft a set of rules acceptable to each other was based on the assumption that we human beings, in the mass, are no damned good—that we are biddable, easily confused, and that we may easily be motivated by a Politician, which is to say, a huckster, mounting a soapbox and inflaming our passions.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mamet
    My grandmother came from Russian Poland, near the Polish city of Chelm. Chelm was celebrated, by the Ashkenazi Jews, as the place where the fools dwelt. And my grandmother loved to tell the traditional stories of Chelm.

Its residents, for example, once decided that there was no point in having the sun shine during the day, when it was light out—it would be better should it shine at night, when it was dark. Similarly, we modern Solons delight in passing gun laws that, in their entirety, amount to “making crime illegal.”
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...vid-mamet.html
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Excellent post!!! Thanks for this article. Men in power want more power. Power Corrupts. That's why we have the Second Amendment. To protect against the government as any of the elected will desire and try to get more and more power.

A government should be afraid of its people. That way it shall be kept in-check. To do the directives of the Constitution. To uphold it. Not to go out of hand or out of control.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Yeah, constitutionalism didnt prevent the US growing its own mega machine government, a militarist one into the bargain, which first and foremost serves the business interests in an imperial carve up.

I think the founding fathers wherent the wisened men of myth and legend, I think they wherent guarding against mass man and hucksters, they were the hucksters seeking to control or manipulate mass man.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

To me, the Civil War kind of proves that the federal government isn't particularly intimidated by our possession of small arms. They let you believe you have power but if you actually look like you might be any kind of a real threat you get a Ruby Ridge or Waco-style party courtesy of the ATF.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Sniffles

I explained the origins of the Second Ammendment here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1464833

It was largely meant to help build up a system of national defense similar to the kind Switzerland has. The anti-government element to certain Gun Rights rhetoric seems to be largely a post-Vietnam legacy as far as I can tell.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

horses and bayonets
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post

I was shocked that that article was published by The Daily Beast (Newsweek).

Thanks for posting!

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

You guys might want to check this out.

White House gun push narrows to background checks

They've effectively given up on the AWB and magazine limits.