User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    So basically there's more ability to create yet not proportionally more creative people. Right?
    Yes, exactly.

Wouldn't that in fact demonstrate that creativity is actually lagging behind?
    I can see how you arrive at that conclusion, but I don't think that's the case. If you handed five trombone players a trombone, you'd have a 100% success rate. But if you handed fifty random people trombones, and only five did well, that 10% success rate isn't materially any different.

Let's presume that a university lowers its admissions standards, and students with less impressive credentials are admitted. I think your argument is akin to comparing the overall credentials of the student body before and after the change and saying it points to a downturn in the quality of incoming students. It doesn't point to that, it only means that you're drawing students from a larger pool where the talent is less concentrated.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Yes, exactly.

I can see how you arrive at that conclusion, but I don't think that's the case. If you handed five trombone players a trombone, you'd have a 100% success rate. But if you handed fifty random people trombones, and only five did well, that 10% success rate isn't materially any different.

Let's presume that a university lowers its admissions standards, and students with less impressive credentials are admitted. I think your argument is akin to comparing the overall credentials of the student body before and after the change and saying it points to a downturn in the quality of incoming students. It doesn't point to that, it only means that you're drawing students from a larger pool where the talent is less concentrated.
    Yeah, I see that. It makes sense that way. I wasn't trying to say that there's a downturn, though. Just that there is not much of an upturn.

Sure there are plenty of people out there who make great use of new technology, I'm not trying to argue that this isn't the case at all. I'm just saying that the creative powers available may be greatly utilized by a few (as always) but seem to be increasingly underutilized by most.

Take the household PC for example. Or the internet even. Getting faster and faster and more powerful every day, and what do most people do? Open websites a bit faster.

Attending to Presence

Creativity is now the content of the electric media and as we are now all online, we are now all creative.

So creativity is to now to distract the mind, while the emedia go to work on our sensibilities.

Creativity is our old environment and the emedia are our new environment.

So what does the emedia favour? We can tell what the emedia favours because we devalue it.

So what do we devalue? We devalue celebrity. We say, they are only famous for being famous.

So of course creativity is now passe and presence is the new black, an attention is the new currency.

And so we pay attention to the presence of celebrities.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Creativity is now the content of the electric media and as we are now all online, we are now all creative.

So creativity is to now to distract the mind, while the emedia go to work on our sensibilities.

Creativity is our old environment and the emedia are our new environment.

So what does the emedia favour? We can tell what the emedia favours because we devalue it.

So what do we devalue? We devalue celebrity. We say, they are only famous for being famous.

So of course creativity is now passe and presence is the new black, an attention is the new currency.

And so we pay attention to the presence of celebrities.
    Mostly for ironic purposes.

Mostly for ironic purposes.
    The irony is to defend us against the new overwhelming value of presence. So we rattle on about creativity rather than facing the new reality of presence.

Hey, look at me, look at me, I have established my presence on Central. I am now regarded as part of the furniture.

And naturally I am devalued, constantly devalued. In this way we ward off the reality of presence.

By devaluing presence through irony, we are able to deny the power of presence.

Look sweet Sprinkles you can't avoid paying attention to my presence.

And just as Perseus held up a mirror to the face of Medusa lest he gaze upon her face and be turned to stone, so you dear Sprinkles hold up irony to the face of presence lest you be rendered comatose.

Sure there are plenty of people out there who make great use of new technology, I'm not trying to argue that this isn't the case at all. I'm just saying that the creative powers available may be greatly utilized by a few (as always) but seem to be increasingly underutilized by most.

Take the household PC for example. Or the internet even. Getting faster and faster and more powerful every day, and what do most people do? Open websites a bit faster.
    That's very true, but I think most people have no need for the full utility of most technology. I don't know if I'd call that technology underutilized by most people as much as unnecessary for most people.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    That's very true, but I think most people have no need for the full utility of most technology. I don't know if I'd call that technology underutilized by most people as much as unnecessary for most people.
    The net is not about creativity, it is about presence. And what - about a billion people are now present on the internet. And they make their presence felt not by being creative but by telling us about their daily life.

Why, even on the bus my neighbour will make their presence felt by telling someone on their mobile, "I am on the bus". There is nothing creative about this, but they have become present.

Look around you. I am present here. And you are present here. And neither of us is being creative.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I was watching a BBC TV show about the latest developments in technology and they were talking about the latests super high definition TVs, at present the prototypes are too expensive for any mass consumer market, insanely advanced technology which is reportedly as good as actually being there.

They made some jokes about so many million pixels but nothing on, its a variation on the saying about millions of channels and nothing on which people used to say, probably still do, about sky broadcasting and the multiplication of channels from the original three or four.

I read bits and pieces from a net guru's book "you are not a gadget" a while back which mentioned just this dilemma, in theory access to means of producing, in the narrower sense of media and similar content at least, has never been greater but the content which is produced is not that innovative or interesting for the most part, ie I Can Haz Cheezeburger memes are not Shakespeare.

What's your thoughts? Is creativity always going to lag behind technological innovation? Content behind presentation?
    There's a misnomer here. Technology is a result of creativity. The two are inseparable. i mean, you can have creativity without technology, but there is no technology without creativity. Whether it is designed or manufactured or conceived by people is a result of creative process.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

WALMART

Higher resolution for my videogames will forever be a driving factor.

So idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    There's a misnomer here. Technology is a result of creativity. The two are inseparable. i mean, you can have creativity without technology, but there is no technology without creativity. Whether it is designed or manufactured or conceived by people is a result of creative process.
    Creativity is over. The author is dead. God died in the nineteenth century. So you are driving forward looking in the rear vision mirror, while presence is rushing towards you through the windshield.

Can't get your mind around it?