User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Lance Armstrong interview

I’m not an authority on the world of professional cycling, so I don’t know. But I wonder if it was a “level playing field,” like he said, seeming to imply that most other serious contenders use PEDs, or was he really the only one or one of the few who did?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What I've read is that serious contenders use it (just like in baseball, when all those guys were smacking homers some years back), which is why doping and all these sneaky ways to dope are a problem. At that level of competition, every little edge counts. Only if the punishment is severe enough, I suppose, will people not seek an edge or get right on the line where they might lose everything they've worked for.

But I haven't seen any statistics or surveys. I mean, the survey itself is pretty impossible to get; no one is going to admit it, unless they've been caught. Even retired winners aren't going to risk having their victories voided by finking on themselves, and if they fink on others, everyone will fink.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What I've read is that serious contenders use it (just like in baseball, when all those guys were smacking homers some years back), which is why doping and all these sneaky ways to dope are a problem. At that level of competition, every little edge counts. Only if the punishment is severe enough, I suppose, will people not seek an edge or get right on the line where they might lose everything they've worked for.

But I haven't seen any statistics or surveys. I mean, the survey itself is pretty impossible to get; no one is going to admit it, unless they've been caught. Even retired winners aren't going to risk having their victories voided by finking on themselves, and if they fink on others, everyone will fink.

I suspect you are right, not that I care all that much. Just that whenever someone like this guy takes the fall, there are, it seems, worse people (or people just as bad) getting away with it. And there is something about this that pisses me off, when one guy takes the fall and the media crowd cheers, while the real bad guys (like most of the sociopaths who wrecked the economy) go unpunished. But hey, it's all entertainment, right?

Redemption

Redemption is part of Americanism. And having confessed his sins to Oprah, he is on the path to redemption.

In Americanism even a pathological liar can find redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Redemption is part of Americanism. And having confessed his sins to Oprah, he is on the path to redemption.

I highly doubt he's redeemed. He'll take what money he has and disappear, if he knows what's good for him.

Don't listen to the Americans at this site. It's full of NFs who will redeem anyone.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I highly doubt he's redeemed. He'll take what money he has and disappear, if he knows what's good for him.
    Yeah, I haven't watched the Oprah interview, but she sure wasn't pitching him slowballs, from what I've heard.

i don't think anyone considers him "redeemed" either. He seems like more of the shithead, considering how he besmirched the reputations of innocent people who were having the courage to blow the whistle, people who he had a lot more power and money than and still he destroyed their reputations needlessly just to save his own skin.

What an ass.

One day he might find public redemption, but it's only going to be after a prolonged rebirth involving blood, sweat, and tears.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

Maybe in the 19th century redemption was part of Americanism. No one cares about Oprah. No one cares that Lance Armstrong was on her show. Her influence has faded very quickly the past few years and many people didn't take her seriously even when she was at her peak on daytime TV. Her new network is rather obscure now. I really don't like sports, but it's my impression that many people are not fond of cheaters. I don't expect Lance Armstrong to be redeemed any more than Pete Rose. Both most likely will remain pathetic, disgraced figures in society's eyes.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by trancemode View Post
    I suspect you are right, not that I care all that much. Just that whenever someone like this guy takes the fall, there are, it seems, worse people (or people just as bad) getting away with it.
    THIS.

If Armstrong's Tour de France victories should be repealed, then a bloodlust of equivalent magnitude should be waged against anyone who has won that event since him (at minimum).
    It is STUPID to think that by de-frocking Armstrong of his victories, that doping with PEDs in the professional cycling circuit has been eradicated.

Furthermore, look at the IOC's doping thresholds for athletes registering as using testosterone/androgens, etc:

http://www.sharonlbegley.com/the-real-scandal

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...er-bender.html

Unless every professional/international athletic regulatory board is willing to investigate every champion alive to date, they should shut their fucking mouths.

To make one a pariah and villify them is a fucking joke.

You want only "pure" athletes to ever win a game or a medal in any given sporting event?

Then isolate random children at birth, raise them in bubbles (a confined and controlled environment) for the duration of their lives including their training and competitive years) and once they retire (by free-will, or force) disallow them from ever competing again.

Otherwise, shut your pie-hole.

And there is something about this that pisses me off, when one guy takes the fall and the media crowd cheers, while the real bad guys (like most of the sociopaths who wrecked the economy) go unpunished.
    Another excellent point.
    Kenneth Lay might have died in prison, but it took about a decade to make any charges against him stick.
    What about the other fucks in the mark-to-market economy buster?
    Most of the went free.
    What about the assholes that caused the sub-prime market to collapse?
    They are offshore spending their embezzled fortunes and "too big to fail" bonuses while the rest of us sit here and wonder how in the fuck our great-great-grandchildren are going to payoff these most recent societal fleecings (of the populace, by the power elite).

"PRIVATIZE PROFITS; SOCIALIZE LOSSES" = BULLSHIT

Yet somehow we're supposed to feel grateful for all this.
    And in the throws of it all, throw stones at Lance Armstrong to make ourselves feel better.
    My response to the above is = "EAT SHIT and DIE."

But hey, it's all entertainment, right?
    It's not entertainment, although I greatly appreciate your sarcasm.
    Here's what it all is.
    What three things must ANY ruling party/government/regime do to ensure they remain in power?

(1) Convince the people they rule that someone OTHER THAN THEIR GOVERNMENT is their ENEMY.
    (2) Keep the people you rule FED.
    (3) Keep the people you rule ENTERTAINED.

"Entertainment" is actually not directly necessary, confusion will suffice, and is alot cheaper to levey.

KEEP YOUR ENEMIES CONFUSED and you can DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.

The media doesn't necessarily tell us "what to think"; it tells us "what to think about."
    Heads up people: Lance Armstrong, Kim Cardashian, and Brangelina's latest adopted child ARE NOT what really matters in this world.
    More people need to get their heads out of their asses and pay attention.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

^
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by sorenx7 View Post
    Maybe in the 19th century redemption was part of Americanism. No one cares about Oprah. No one cares that Lance Armstrong was on her show. Her influence has faded very quickly the past few years and many people didn't take her seriously even when she was at her peak on daytime TV. Her new network is rather obscure now. I really don't like sports, but it's my impression that many people are not fond of cheaters. I don't expect Lance Armstrong to be redeemed any more than Pete Rose. Both most likely will remain pathetic, disgraced figures in society's eyes.
    You don't think he will follow the path of redemption taken by Tiger Woods?