User Tag List

123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default Just a reminder; Nobody does anything about corporate greed.

Corporate Profits Have Grown By 171 Percent Under Obama

Another interesting thing to look at.

Capital Wins, Labor Loses, But Andrew Smithers Says It Can't Go On

That graph isn't a complete picture, though. You see that labor shares exploded during the great depression, which was not a great time to be a worker. What's important is to compare that graph along with the other current economic realities I'm sure you know, the unemployment, slow GDP growth, and stagnating wages. Those profit margins exploded while everything else in the economy went south.

Just think that my only practical alternative to Obama in 2012 was to vote for a guy who would have favored corporations more. In the midst of all the yakking about gun control, Libya, and whatever else is the hot ticket of the day, I always keep in mind that no one important seems to give a crap about this.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Corporate Profits Have Grown By 171 Percent Under Obama

Another interesting thing to look at.

Capital Wins, Labor Loses, But Andrew Smithers Says It Can't Go On

That graph isn't a complete picture, though. You see that labor shares exploded during the great depression, which was not a great time to be a worker. What's important is to compare that graph along with the other current economic realities I'm sure you know, the unemployment, slow GDP growth, and stagnating wages. Those profit margins exploded while everything else in the economy went south.

Just think that my only practical alternative to Obama in 2012 was to vote for a guy who would have favored corporations more. In the midst of all the yakking about gun control, Libya, and whatever else is the hot ticket of the day, I always keep in mind that no one important seems to give a crap about this.
    Globalism at work
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Well, boo-fucking-hoo.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I suggest holding your breath until the utopia you envision comes into being.

If you hold it long enough, you might just find it.

Well, the good thing is, most CEOs don't have the Secret Service following them around.

Do with that information as you will.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

If the graphing mimics the past it will be interesting when the next change over commences. One plague (subtracting out any type of Wat Tyler/statute of laborers interference) or development (like business figuring out the uselessness of most management) could one day (for a little while) place workers in the position where one person is able to support a family again.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I suggest holding your breath until the utopia you envision comes into being.

If you hold it long enough, you might just find it.
    If you consider a time and place where a faltering economy isn't coinciding with massive corporate profits utopian, you've condemned yourself to some really depressingly low standards.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

what exactly can one do?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    what exactly can one do?
    Read about Californian history and see where the railroad companies went.

Start a movement, get into government, run a business that isn't like corporate greed, stop supporting corporations that are only there for total profits. Bring more Representatives and Senators like Elizabeth Warren... or someone that doesn't have a corporate mantra into office. Blah Blah Blah.

Many of these things didn't happen all of a suddenly. Most of these perceptions didn't happen just yesterday. People need to perceive those ideas before it happens. When people think that corporations are there only to receive as much profit for their shareholders as possible, I call bullshit.

Join a union bank instead of your typical banks like BoA, WF, Chase, etc. Most union banks are supported only by the people that use the bank. Join those instead, I am sure your typical banks would be willing to lose another customer at the expense of increasing profits for no disregard. Ohhh, have you heard? After thanking the public for keeping their business from taking a nosedive, AIG wants to sue the government because they thought the loan was unfair to it. That is your tax money that it wants to take from you, AGAIN.

Become a hipster.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Not to defend them, but a simple economic analysis of the graph shows:

- That total ouput has decreased during the great depression;
    - That companies have kept their nomial profits stable, thus their share of profits over total output has increased;
    - That, in order to keep their profits stable, companies have (also) progressively laid off workers.

Now, you may argue against the long-term sustainabilty of this strategy, especially for a country with historically strong internal demand like the USA. But you can't argue against companies trying to keep their profits at the very least stable, since it's the definition of a "healthy" company.

Other minor points:

- The decoupling starts in 2001, so Obama can hardly be blamed.
    - An increase from 71 to 77% is hardly consistent with the number "171%" which has been quoted, even when trying to account for potentially different computational procedures.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp