User Tag List

Default Would you like some E. Coli with that?

Remember pink slime? Well, there seems to be another beef with the industry itself.

Full Site with multiple articles, infographic, and history

A year long investigation by the Kansas City Star has found that the beef industry is increasingly using a mechanical tenderizing process that increases E. Coli risk for consumers. They have done an in depth study of processing, packing and health, Overuse of antibiotics, Big Beef and U.S. diets, and Meatpacking History in KC.

The study that has been done show that tenderizing meat has made consumers more vulnerable to E. Coli. Not only is it making it vulnerable to consumers to catch E. Coli, studies have also shown that antibiotics use for cows are also allowing the E. coli to become increasingly resistant to the drug itself. Even in a partially cooked steak/beef, a consumer runs a higher chance to catch E. Coli than in other countries solely because the tenderizing process pushes many of these same bacteria further inside the meat. If your meat isn't well-done, you are at a higher risk to catch E. Coli in your system.

Infographic of tenderized meat

Don't have enough time?

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Ewww
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

your resident asshole

I don't know anything about cooking.

Aren't you supposed to tenderize the meat yourself? What is the point of tenderizing it in the factory? It just seems kind of silly. Have they always tenderized the meat in the factory even before this new method?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I don't know anything about cooking.

Aren't you supposed to tenderize the meat yourself? What is the point of tenderizing it in the factory? It just seems kind of silly. Have they always tenderized the meat in the factory even before this new method?
    Pre-made meat are most likely tenderized beforehand. It save the consumers time so that they don't have to do the majority of the tenderizing themselves (at the cost of their own health.)

The industry has been mechanically tenderizing it for at least a decade+ (I've been searching when they began, but couldn't find a simple answer.) As for just tenderizing, it has occurred since the end of WWII.

The problem is the mechanical tenderizing versus hand done tenderizing(using a mallet or similar item to soften the meat, marinating it, or using powders to soften the outside.) At most, hand done tenderizing would only effect the surface area while making the inside softer, but mechanical tenderizing goes further inside the meat and pushes those surface materials deeper into the meat. So those that don't fully cook their meat risk getting sick (the more likely case for people eating their steak medium rare/rare.)

MBTI
    xxTP

So what is the actual probability of getting E-Coli from this food, not just the increase relative to before? It may actually be very, very, very low.

Everyone in Britain went hysterical because they were secretly putting horse meat in economy "beef" burgers. The ironic thing is that the horse meat was probably healthier than the beef they were knowingly eating.

I love beef though, just not cheap crap.