User Tag List

Thread: Black Amish?

Default Black Amish?

I was thinking about this watching a TV show earlier which featured some Amish communities, I was wondering is there such a think as black amish or are the amish a sort of exclusive and essentially real monocultural? If there's no black amish are there other black communities which resemble the amish? To what extent do communities like that, which choose and aim to practice a radical departure from the norm or mainstream society, achieve that independent, self-sufficient existence or isnt it possible?

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm not an expert on it or anything, although I did live in an area with a lot of Amish for a while. I believe that anyone can choose to join the church, but it is extremely difficult for anyone who didn't grow up in the community to adjust to the lifestyle, so you don't have many people of any ethnic group outside of their own. I'm not sure what their stance on adoption is though.

I'd probably never be part of any intentional community which would have me but sometimes I think that arcane lifestyle would be interesting to live in for a while, see if it improves or influences my health.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think there are a very few black Amish people, most of whom came into the community as children through the foster care system. But I think for the most part it's a self-contained community that doesn't get a lot of outside air. I don't think they seek converts.

There's also the Mennonites which are sort of similar to the Amish in lifestyle, but not as insular or conservative. It seems like it would be more realistic to convert to the Mennonite faith if someone wanted the "Amish experience" but wasn't born into it or prepared to pretty much renounce everyone and everything they know.

MBTI
    ISTP

It would be interesting, although I think anyone interested in trying it would be better off doing it by themselves so they could gradually ease in to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think there are a very few black Amish people, most of whom came into the community as children through the foster care system. But I think for the most part it's a self-contained community that doesn't get a lot of outside air. I don't think they seek converts.

There's also the Mennonites which are sort of similar to the Amish in lifestyle, but not as insular or conservative. It seems like it would be more realistic to convert to the Mennonite faith if someone wanted the "Amish experience" but wasn't born into it or prepared to pretty much renounce everyone and everything they know.
    I wonder how many colonies of this sort there are in the US, I dont know of anything like it in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

I wonder how many colonies of this sort there are in the US, I dont know of anything like it in the UK.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's probably several hundred settlements but they are semi-invisible to most if you don't know where they are because they kind of avoid too much contact with outside people. There's a few places that are tourist attractions with Amish crafts mysteriously appearing in the shops but it can be difficult to actually get close to them even in this case, because they are kind of ambivalent about such arrangements.

It seems they don't connect very well with non-Amish and don't really understand the great interest in themselves. For the most part they want to be left alone and probably would not encourage outsiders to even join them because people typically want to do it for reasons that are foreign to them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I desperately want to know which sect those people with the frontier-style clothing and black bonnet things are that I sometimes see at ethnic markets in Detroit. They're not Amish...I've seen some Amish when I lived in Pennsylvania, and you generally see them all over the place while car traveling throughout the middle and southern parts of the US (to say nothing of the northwest...but I've traveled there much less frequently.) They're some kind of anabaptists, like Amish, but I can't tell which...Mennonites, Hutterites, what? They're not known to have a community in this state (though they are in parts of Canada...maybe that's where they're coming from?)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I desperately want to know which sect those people with the frontier-style clothing and black bonnet things are that I sometimes see at ethnic markets in Detroit. They're not Amish...I've seen some Amish when I lived in Pennsylvania, and you generally see them all over the place while car traveling throughout the middle and southern parts of the US (to say nothing of the northwest...but I've traveled there much less frequently.) They're some kind of anabaptists, like Amish, but I can't tell which...Mennonites, Hutterites, what? They're not known to have a community in this state (though they are in parts of Canada...maybe that's where they're coming from?)
    The Brethern? They are here in Northern Ireland too. Very patriarchal.