User Tag List

123 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Obama's Gun Control Proposals

He's going to have a bigger fight on his hands, and will consequently have to spend more political capital, than he anticipated.

I don't think an AR ban will go through.

A mag limit may, but I hope not.

We are most likely to see stronger background checks, and more thorough mental evaluations.

Starting a registry or closing the private purchase provision ("gun show loophole") will be prohibitively expensive, and massively unpopular with shooters.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    He's going to have a bigger fight on his hands, and will consequently have to spend more political capital, than he anticipated.

I don't think an AR ban will go through.

A mag limit may, but I hope not.

We are most likely to see stronger background checks, and more thorough mental evaluations.

Starting a registry or closing the private purchase provision ("gun show loophole") will be prohibitively expensive, and massively unpopular with shooters.
    I haven't been following much of it for the last few weeks, but I think the stronger background checks and mental evals are probably the easiest things to get through and might be the most helpful at this time.

Considering the ban did not prove effective before, these mass shootings seem to only comprise a small amount percentage-wise of gun deaths a year, and the impossibility of tracking all the guns that already exist legally in this country, I'm just not sure any legislation tossed out within a few months of an incident is going to be well-thought-out enough and aimed in a way that will make it effective at ending these kinds of incidents. Most of the conversation seems emotionally driven, rather than rational... and I say that even as someone who will probably never own a gun and doesn't have much attachment either way to the gun control issue.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how politically it would impact Obama to diminish the issue by devoting less time to it, since there are many people now leaning on the horn and judging his performance by it. I wish he could have focused on other things like fixing the economy / economic issues, etc.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I haven't been following much of it for the last few weeks, but I think the stronger background checks and mental evals are probably the easiest things to get through and might be the most helpful at this time.

Considering the ban did not prove effective before, these mass shootings seem to only comprise a small amount percentage-wise of gun deaths a year, and the impossibility of tracking all the guns that already exist legally in this country, I'm just not sure any legislation tossed out within a few months of an incident is going to be well-thought-out enough and aimed in a way that will make it effective at ending these kinds of incidents. Most of the conversation seems emotionally driven, rather than rational... and I say that even as someone who will probably never own a gun and doesn't have much attachment either way to the gun control issue.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how politically it would impact Obama to diminish the issue by devoting less time to it, since there are many people now leaning on the horn and judging his performance by it. I wish he could have focused on other things like fixing the economy / economic issues, etc.
    The media generally has such an engorged, tumescent boner over this issue that it's going to take some other story to knock it out of the national spot light.

Obama and Biden seem to be trying to portray the calls for gun control by the media as a massive wave of popular support among the people, which it is not.

I think this is kind of a meh issue for most folks.

Now is the time to start selling stun guns, like this:

Stun Guns for Self-defenders
    Lethal Weapons for Killers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Now is the time to start selling stun guns, like this:

Stun Guns for Self-defenders
    Lethal Weapons for Killers
    Maybe Mel Gibson will start a new movie franchise, as he's older now and probably doddering around home:

Stun Gun 1
    Stun Gun 2
    Stun Gun 3
    Stun Gun 4
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Maybe Mel Gibson will start a new movie franchise, as he's older now and probably doddering around home:

Stun Gun 1
    Stun Gun 2
    Stun Gun 3
    Stun Gun 4
    Yes, the wording still needs a little work. Someone more familiar with gun vocabulary can take care of it.

Speaking of the emotionally charged nature of the debate, I wish I could put Biden on ignore.

"If these new laws save even one life then they will be worth it."

What a ridculously horrible standard for whether a law should be passed. What an idiot.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Speaking of the emotionally charged nature of the debate, I wish I could put Biden on ignore.

"If these new laws save even one life then they will be worth it."

What a ridculously horrible standard for whether a law should be passed. What an idiot.
    Yah, this annoys me too. They should just use the ~8 million dollar/life rule. It quickly shows that the cost to society (in the states) of going the gun control path has a payback of only a couple of percent (IIRC, using CDCs value of life, paypack was about a century, assuming several decades of progressive gun control and eventual pull back to 1st world gun violence norms.)

(Disclaimer, been 5+ years since I read anything notable on it, YMMV, accuracy not delivered.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

I feel the same way about all of that. It's not surprising though...logic is a rare thing to find the higher up the political ladder you go.

MBTI
    xxTP

Hopefully it will fail, Alex Jones told me that there will be a Soviet style tyranny if US citizens don't have guns to protect themselves from the state, and it will be "1776 all over again" if Obama tries.

I am worried though, he doesn't seem to have heard of tanks, drones and landmines. He hd better start asking for these to be sold to citizens, otherwise the "1776 all over again" will be somewhat one sided.

And anyway why has he/you guys gone so soft? doesn't the constituion garuantee the right to bear ARMS. Aren't those also ARMS???