User Tag List

First 45678 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    We have the ATF and we have the FBI doing research on gun violence. Why does the CDC need to do it and what solutions would they offer? Honestly, there are to many dystopian stories where governments treat violence as disease for me not to be a little worried.
    As a major cause of fatality it's standard fair for the CDC to look into something like that.

And incidentally another point in Obama's proposal is appointing someone to head the ATF since it's been without a director for 6 years, not to mention short on funding from what I hear.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    As a major cause of fatality it's standard fair for the CDC to look into something like that.

And incidentally another point in Obama's proposal is appointing someone to head the ATF since it's been without a director for 6 years, not to mention short on funding from what I hear.
    Well, I don't see any reason to complain about the ATF... except for the whole GIVING GUNS TO MEXICAN GANGS.

Seriously, one of the proposals should have been: don't give any more guns to gangsters.

While we're at it if we're going to protect american lives everywhere then we should probably stop giving guns to Muslim extremists as well.

Actually talking about the CDC and gun violence makes me wonder if we're experiencing something similar to the effect of the pax from firefly/serenity. We've seen a remarkable decrease in overall violence by a drop of 50% over the last 20 years yet we also have seen an increase in mass shootings. I do wonder if both of these figures are due to the popularity of SSRIs.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It's not as if the BATFE didn't have an acting director for the last six years.

Our former Prime Minister, John Howard, has written an opinion piece for the New York Times pointing out that gun control has made Australia a safer place.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

In 1996, Australia adopted draconian gun control laws banning 60% of all firearms and requiring registration of all firearms and licensing of gun owners. As a result, Rod Ansell believed that police were coming to confiscate his unregistered firearms. In Austrailia today, police do not need a search warrant to enter your house and search for guns. Police can search door-to-door looking for un-surrendered weapons in their gun buyback program. They have been using previous gun regis-tration and license lists to check for non-compliance and confiscate now illegal firearms.
    The rush to draft stringent gun controls in Australia, in a curious foreshadowing of our own post-Columbine experience began after, in 1996, a crazed gunman shot 35 people. Australians were shocked, and the government reacted quickly. Draconian gun legislation was passed in the heat of the moment.
    Notes former California State Senator H.L. Richardson "They outlawed every semi-auto, even those pretty duck guns, pump shotguns and semi-auto hunting rifles.
    "They didn't miss a one. In today's Australia, it is illegal for any citizen except officers to own even .22's and sporting shotguns designed for duck hunting."
    The result? As in Great Britain, crime has escalated beyond belief! In the year following implementation of the law, Australia experienced a 44% increase in armed robberies, 8.6% Increase in assaults and a ~ increase in homicides. In the state of Victoria there was a 300% increase in firearm homicides!!!l In South Australia, robberies increased 58%. Two years after the ban, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Armed robberies are up 73% and assaults are up 17%. By comparison, in the 25 years before the ban, Australia had a steady decrease both in firearm homicides and robberies. It is now a haven heaven for every criminal creep who knows there's little chance law-abiding citi-zens can defend themselves. The police can't prevent crime or protect & serve you until it's too late, - dead men and women can't dial 911. (Wikipedia)
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I read an article earlier that mentioned that Obama's gun proposal is presidential policy push the likes of which we haven't seen since the 60s. It made me sad. I wanted to hear words like that all throughout Obama's first term, but I had never been waiting to hear them in reference to gun control. I was hoping for financial reform, or health care, or environmental protection, or sustainable energy. All of that stuff was either stopped dead or muddled into a disappointment. Now with gun control, which he had not campaigned on in either election, he's actually coming across like he'll fight a big fight. Why now?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    In 1996, Australia adopted draconian gun control laws banning 60% of all firearms and requiring registration of all firearms and licensing of gun owners. As a result, Rod Ansell believed that police were coming to confiscate his unregistered firearms. In Austrailia today, police do not need a search warrant to enter your house and search for guns. Police can search door-to-door looking for un-surrendered weapons in their gun buyback program. They have been using previous gun regis-tration and license lists to check for non-compliance and confiscate now illegal firearms.
    The rush to draft stringent gun controls in Australia, in a curious foreshadowing of our own post-Columbine experience began after, in 1996, a crazed gunman shot 35 people. Australians were shocked, and the government reacted quickly. Draconian gun legislation was passed in the heat of the moment.
    Notes former California State Senator H.L. Richardson "They outlawed every semi-auto, even those pretty duck guns, pump shotguns and semi-auto hunting rifles.
    "They didn't miss a one. In today's Australia, it is illegal for any citizen except officers to own even .22's and sporting shotguns designed for duck hunting."
    The result? As in Great Britain, crime has escalated beyond belief! In the year following implementation of the law, Australia experienced a 44% increase in armed robberies, 8.6% Increase in assaults and a ~ increase in homicides. In the state of Victoria there was a 300% increase in firearm homicides!!!l In South Australia, robberies increased 58%. Two years after the ban, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Armed robberies are up 73% and assaults are up 17%. By comparison, in the 25 years before the ban, Australia had a steady decrease both in firearm homicides and robberies. It is now a haven heaven for every criminal creep who knows there's little chance law-abiding citi-zens can defend themselves. The police can't prevent crime or protect & serve you until it's too late, - dead men and women can't dial 911. (Wikipedia)
    Since we introduced our gun control laws we have had not one gun massacre.

And the people of Australia know our gun control laws were the right choice. It's one choice we are all happy with.

However we still have to fend off propaganda from the National Rifle Association of the USA.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Since we introduced our gun control laws we have had not one gun massacre.

And the people of Australia know our gun control laws were the right choice. It's one choice we are all happy with.

However we still have to fend off propaganda from the National Rifle Association of the USA.
    Interesting. What happened to your rate of stabbings and use of other weapons?

Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    IEI

Hard to imagine Republicans allowing any such proposal to pass (but then, it was hard to imagine Roberts not voting to repeal “Obamacare”). Most on their side of the aisle assume (incorrectly I believe) that a ban on any type of firearm will inevitably lead to a ban on all guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Interesting. What happened to your rate of stabbings and use of other weapons?
    We introduced gun control to stop gun massacres, and it worked, completely, 100%.

However we just don't have a gun culture here. For instance, the only guns I have ever seen in my entire life are on police.