User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 73

  1. #41
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I've already said this a thousand times, but it deserves repeating: the best way to reduce gun violence is to end drug prohibition. That would have no affect on shootings like Sandy Hook, but incidents like that are going to happen as long as we have a free society. It's one of the costs of living in such a society and we just have to accept it.
    I agree with you 100%
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  2. #42
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Wasn't worth keeping your last post up, huh @Victor?

    I hope you'll share where you got your stats from.

    I got mine from a reporter and the FBI.



    The stats about the US should be accurate. Because American Crime stats are calculated differently than they are in the UK he made some mistakes in the comparison. He's correcting them in his broadcast tomorrow night and I'll post it. Even after the mistakes are corrected the UK is more violent than the US per capita despite its gun bans.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  3. #43
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You are not able to live in a gun free society. So your freedom is severely circumscribed.

    Why, in the last two years in Syria there were 60,000 recorded gun deaths, recorded by name and location. And in the USA in the same period there were 60,000 gun deaths, recorded by name and location.

    Syria is in the midst of civil war where no quarter is given, while the USA is the home of the free.
    What? There were 60,000 gun deaths in the US in 2011 and 2012 combined? I think you're wrong about that. That said, the US is in the midst of a civil war of its own, the War on Drugs. The violence in Mexico, as a result of the drug war, is even worse than in the US (50,000+ murders over the last 6 years).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    WARNING: Video has graphic photos at the end.
    Also, please ignore the infowars tag at the bottom.
    Pointless video. Obama claims that he is trying to protect American children. He never said protecting all children under all circumstances was the goal. His argument might be poor, but there is no hypocrisy.

    I favor gun ownership, but I don't want to make it convenient for psychos to get hold of them. Would regulation save lives or just criminal lives?

  5. #45
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    So Obama proposes lifting the federal ban on gun violence research. My response to this is to ask why was there a ban on federal gun violence research?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #46
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    So Obama proposes lifting the federal ban on gun violence research. My response to this is to ask why was there a ban on federal gun violence research?
    NRA lobbying.

  7. #47
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    So Obama proposes lifting the federal ban on gun violence research. My response to this is to ask why was there a ban on federal gun violence research?
    I believe the ban was on keeping the centers for disease control from researching gun violence.

    If he does that unilaterally it will be the worst of the measures and clearly unconsstitutional as it goes directly against a legislative mandate.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  8. #48
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    I'll laugh if they attempt an impeachment for taking a clause out that prohibits "research".

    Facts and research. The new bogeyman.

  9. #49
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I believe the ban was on keeping the centers for disease control from researching gun violence.

    If he does that unilaterally it will be the worst of the measures and clearly unconsstitutional as it goes directly against a legislative mandate.
    But what good reason is there for that ban? Why would he even have to do it with a executive order? Why not ask the legislators to change on the basis that it makes no sense at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'll laugh if they attempt an impeachment for taking a clause out that prohibits "research".

    Facts and research. The new bogeyman.
    From a strictly partisan political perspective, that would a dream come true for Democrats. The vote would certainly fail and the approval of the Republican would sharply drop below the low point it's already at.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  10. #50
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But what good reason is there for that ban?
    We have the ATF and we have the FBI doing research on gun violence. Why does the CDC need to do it and what solutions would they offer? Honestly, there are to many dystopian stories where governments treat violence as disease for me not to be a little worried.


    Why would he even have to do it with a executive order? Why not ask the legislators to change on the basis that it makes no sense at all?
    To hold a g... Uh... For political reasons.

    Some of which you mentioned...



    From a strictly partisan political perspective, that would a dream come true for Democrats. The vote would certainly fail and the approval of the Republican would sharply drop below the low point it's already at.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Similar Threads

  1. Obama Gun Control Executive Orders
    By MDP2525 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-08-2016, 08:11 AM
  2. Gun Control in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 249
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
  3. Gun Control in the UK (Not Gone, Is Being Fixed...)
    By Halla74 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
  4. American Gun Control (Version 2!)
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 234
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 02:24 PM
  5. Gun Control
    By Kiddo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 03:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO