User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    They wouldn't "just" do it. We are talking about the revolution which the likes of Alex Jones threatened.

If you were shooting at them then yes, I think they'd shoot back. I don't think they'd have to "ruin" much, just wipe out a few militia crazies.
    It's not just a few. There's millions of sensible and otherwise quiet people who would not stand for it.

I think the Confederate States tried it once.
    Yeah and they were kicking a lot of ass in the beginning and it pretty much ruined the country for a good while.

Also I don't know what you're smiling about. This is not at all friendly.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    It's not just a few. There's millions of sensible and otherwise quiet people who would not stand for it.
    OK...I'll let you keep dreaming.

MBTI
    INTP

Obama is exploring executive orders to help prevent mass shootings.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Assault weapons kill about 100 people per year, maybe. Just all at once.

Handguns kill probably 90% of gunshot-victims. Just one by one.

If the point is to save as many lives as possible, why would you ban assault weapons instead of handguns? Let's use some sense.

But I guess, as people have said, because of the sheer number of handguns that'd be difficult to ever do. So maybe attempts at banning assault weapons are because it's the one area where there might be success in gun control, and success anywhere is better than success nowhere.

@Il Morto Che Parla The principle is called Right to Revolution. Germany, off the top of my head, also has a clause explaining that its citizens have a Right to Revolution if they find themselves under intolerable government. That's all this is, nothing strange. The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is just a more "practical" statement of how to protect that right. I realize what you're saying about the impracticality in the modern age, but that's because say five other things have changed about the nature of U.S. government and U.S. culture, and if you want everything to be consistent, you'd have to address all of them, yes.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Assault weapons kill about 100 people per year, maybe. Just all at once.

Handguns kill probably 90% of gunshot-victims. Just one by one.

If the point is to save as many lives as possible, why would you ban assault weapons instead of handguns? Let's use some sense.

But I guess, as people have said, because of the sheer number of handguns that'd be difficult to ever do. So maybe attempts at banning assault weapons are because it's the one area where there might be success in gun control, and success anywhere is better than success nowhere.
    Except it won't be success because their definition of 'assault weapon' is meaningless. Civilian models are not assault weapons. Assault weapons are NFA weapons. You have to get ATF approval to get hold of one. End of.

Edit: also what are often called assault rifles are just plain rifles. They look like assault rifles but they are not select fire and often fire a non-military cartridge.

I don't think I can express how angry this makes me.

Obama plans to surround himself with children during gun control announcement

WARNING: Video has graphic photos at the end.

Also, please ignore the infowars tag at the bottom.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I've already said this a thousand times, but it deserves repeating: the best way to reduce gun violence is to end drug prohibition. That would have no affect on shootings like Sandy Hook, but incidents like that are going to happen as long as we have a free society. It's one of the costs of living in such a society and we just have to accept it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I've already said this a thousand times, but it deserves repeating: the best way to reduce gun violence is to end drug prohibition. That would have no affect on shootings like Sandy Hook, but incidents like that are going to happen as long as we have a free society. It's one of the costs of living in such a society and we just have to accept it.
    If New York is any indication, they are more interested in dealing with the "free society" part than the drug part...

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That would have no affect on shootings like Sandy Hook, but incidents like that are going to happen as long as we have a free society. It's one of the costs of living in such a society and we just have to accept it.
    You are not able to live in a gun free society. So your freedom is severely circumscribed.

Why, in the last two years in Syria there were 60,000 recorded gun deaths, recorded by name and location. And in the USA in the same period there were 60,000 gun deaths, recorded by name and location.

Syria is in the midst of civil war where no quarter is given, while the USA is the home of the free.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You are not able to live in a gun free society. So your freedom is severely circumscribed.

Why, in the last two years in Syria there were 60,000 recorded gun deaths, recorded by name and location. And in the USA in the same period there were 60,000 gun deaths, recorded by name and location.

Syria is in the midst of civil war where no quarter is given, while the USA is the home of the free.
    Where are you getting your statistics?

In the US we had less than 8000 unjustified, gun related homicides in 2011.
    Last edited by Beorn; 01-16-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Edit: stats were for last year of record which was 2011. 2012 stats aren't out yet.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it