User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 73

  1. #31
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    They wouldn't "just" do it. We are talking about the revolution which the likes of Alex Jones threatened.

    If you were shooting at them then yes, I think they'd shoot back. I don't think they'd have to "ruin" much, just wipe out a few militia crazies.
    It's not just a few. There's millions of sensible and otherwise quiet people who would not stand for it.

    I think the Confederate States tried it once.
    Yeah and they were kicking a lot of ass in the beginning and it pretty much ruined the country for a good while.

    Also I don't know what you're smiling about. This is not at all friendly.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    It's not just a few. There's millions of sensible and otherwise quiet people who would not stand for it.
    OK...I'll let you keep dreaming.

  3. #33
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Obama is exploring executive orders to help prevent mass shootings.

  4. #34
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Assault weapons kill about 100 people per year, maybe. Just all at once.

    Handguns kill probably 90% of gunshot-victims. Just one by one.

    If the point is to save as many lives as possible, why would you ban assault weapons instead of handguns? Let's use some sense.

    But I guess, as people have said, because of the sheer number of handguns that'd be difficult to ever do. So maybe attempts at banning assault weapons are because it's the one area where there might be success in gun control, and success anywhere is better than success nowhere.

    @Il Morto Che Parla The principle is called Right to Revolution. Germany, off the top of my head, also has a clause explaining that its citizens have a Right to Revolution if they find themselves under intolerable government. That's all this is, nothing strange. The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is just a more "practical" statement of how to protect that right. I realize what you're saying about the impracticality in the modern age, but that's because say five other things have changed about the nature of U.S. government and U.S. culture, and if you want everything to be consistent, you'd have to address all of them, yes.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  5. #35
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Assault weapons kill about 100 people per year, maybe. Just all at once.

    Handguns kill probably 90% of gunshot-victims. Just one by one.

    If the point is to save as many lives as possible, why would you ban assault weapons instead of handguns? Let's use some sense.

    But I guess, as people have said, because of the sheer number of handguns that'd be difficult to ever do. So maybe attempts at banning assault weapons are because it's the one area where there might be success in gun control, and success anywhere is better than success nowhere.
    Except it won't be success because their definition of 'assault weapon' is meaningless. Civilian models are not assault weapons. Assault weapons are NFA weapons. You have to get ATF approval to get hold of one. End of.

    Edit: also what are often called assault rifles are just plain rifles. They look like assault rifles but they are not select fire and often fire a non-military cartridge.

  6. #36
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    I don't think I can express how angry this makes me.

    Obama plans to surround himself with children during gun control announcement


    WARNING: Video has graphic photos at the end.



    Also, please ignore the infowars tag at the bottom.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  7. #37
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    I've already said this a thousand times, but it deserves repeating: the best way to reduce gun violence is to end drug prohibition. That would have no affect on shootings like Sandy Hook, but incidents like that are going to happen as long as we have a free society. It's one of the costs of living in such a society and we just have to accept it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #38
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I've already said this a thousand times, but it deserves repeating: the best way to reduce gun violence is to end drug prohibition. That would have no affect on shootings like Sandy Hook, but incidents like that are going to happen as long as we have a free society. It's one of the costs of living in such a society and we just have to accept it.
    If New York is any indication, they are more interested in dealing with the "free society" part than the drug part...
    ...

  9. #39
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That would have no affect on shootings like Sandy Hook, but incidents like that are going to happen as long as we have a free society. It's one of the costs of living in such a society and we just have to accept it.
    You are not able to live in a gun free society. So your freedom is severely circumscribed.

    Why, in the last two years in Syria there were 60,000 recorded gun deaths, recorded by name and location. And in the USA in the same period there were 60,000 gun deaths, recorded by name and location.

    Syria is in the midst of civil war where no quarter is given, while the USA is the home of the free.

  10. #40
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    You are not able to live in a gun free society. So your freedom is severely circumscribed.

    Why, in the last two years in Syria there were 60,000 recorded gun deaths, recorded by name and location. And in the USA in the same period there were 60,000 gun deaths, recorded by name and location.

    Syria is in the midst of civil war where no quarter is given, while the USA is the home of the free.
    Where are you getting your statistics?

    In the US we had less than 8000 unjustified, gun related homicides in 2011.
    Last edited by Beorn; 01-16-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Edit: stats were for last year of record which was 2011. 2012 stats aren't out yet.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Similar Threads

  1. Obama Gun Control Executive Orders
    By MDP2525 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-08-2016, 08:11 AM
  2. Gun Control in the UK
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 249
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
  3. Gun Control in the UK (Not Gone, Is Being Fixed...)
    By Halla74 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
  4. American Gun Control (Version 2!)
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 234
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 02:24 PM
  5. Gun Control
    By Kiddo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 03:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO