User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Flu "Epidemic"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I noticed the norovirus, or "stomach flu," is mentioned in several of these articles. I'd just like to point out to anyone already not aware that this is NOT an actual flu (not influenza) and therefore is NOT in your vaccines. If someone is vomiting around you, I recommend getting the hell out of there if you don't want this one. The norovirus is highly contagious and can be spread by coughing, sneezing, if someone vomits near you, if you are by a toilet that flushes with vomit/diarrhea in it, or even if someone just breathes near you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosolization

Also, according to my physiology professor, vaccines take at least several weeks to a month to actually take effect. I don't know how correct this is, but it's something to keep in mind.

I'm a bit paranoid because my brother who drives me to school is sick. Luckily it's not with the norovirus.
    Yeah, I mostly call it the stomach flu for convenience purposes.

At the earliest, the vaccine usually takes effect in about 2 weeks.

Heard a few people in my region went to the ER because of the flu. So, kind of don't want those things spreading near me.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't like needles so I never get any vaccines. I've never got the flu though. I wash my hands tons, keep a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol with me, a always scrub under my fingernails, and eats tons of fruits.

I also think there is something to believing you are not getting sick. I don't remember where I heard it from, but the whole mind-body connection and it's influence on the immune system. If you are depressed, you can exhibit lower immune functioning and then get sick easier. Likewise, a good attitude or believing you are "fighting" whatever is trying to take over has the reverse effect. I don't sick that often, so maybe it has something to do with it (now if the same thing could apply to calm and collectedness).

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Pfft. That's a bunch of bull^^ Maybe it helps in some ways with recovery, but I doubt one's attitude can fend off infection.

I'm not even fully recovered from this bitch ass flu I've had for the past three days. It's not that bad, though. Just stay away from babies and old people.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Dude, pop in a few echinacea pills and you're good to go.

Shots are not the only way. Build your immunity through herbals. You'd be surprised!

All this hype just like the previous ones. No one's gonna die.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Folderol View Post
    I don't like needles so I never get any vaccines. I've never got the flu though. I wash my hands tons, keep a spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol with me, a always scrub under my fingernails, and eats tons of fruits.

I also think there is something to believing you are not getting sick. I don't remember where I heard it from, but the whole mind-body connection and it's influence on the immune system. If you are depressed, you can exhibit lower immune functioning and then get sick easier. Likewise, a good attitude or believing you are "fighting" whatever is trying to take over has the reverse effect. I don't sick that often, so maybe it has something to do with it (now if the same thing could apply to calm and collectedness).
    I'm sure people said this during the plague too. There is a nasal spray delivery for the flu vaccine so hating needles isn't an issue.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Anew Leaf

I don't get the shots since its just a guess as to which strain from amongst hundreds is what is going to crop up. And I always get sick from these shots.

I find that so long as I get enough sleep, wash my hands a lot, and eat healthy/exercise. That I don't get sick.

MBTI
    INTP

LOL @ taking that in black in white terms. I never said it could fend off an infection. But it does help more than hurt or do nothing. Psychoneuroimmunology.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I find that so long as I get enough sleep, wash my hands a lot, and eat healthy/exercise. That I don't get sick.
    Exactly. Small preventative steps stack up and can go a long way. Likewise, a single domino tipping can make them all fall.

your resident asshole

And I always get sick from these shots.
    This is a myth. You can't get sick from the flu shot. The virus has been inactivated. Well, the nasal spray actually contains a live, attenuated (altered) version of the virus, but the one given via shot is perfectly safe.

There are numerous other reasons why you would get sick after the flu shot. Especially, as you said, the flu shot does not protect from all forms of the flu. It also takes a little bit of time to start working and you may have even been sick beforehand.

I'm not going to tell you to go out and get a flu shot, though. I didn't get one and I don't plan to because I don't come in contact with many people and I'm not elderly, an infant, nor do I have a compromised immune system.

Just don't let thinking you're going to get sick from the flu shot stop you from getting one.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    This is a myth. You can't get sick from the flu shot. The virus has been inactivated. Well, the nasal spray actually contains a live, attenuated (altered) version of the virus, but the one given via shot is perfectly safe.

There are numerous other reasons why you would get sick after the flu shot. Especially, as you said, the flu shot does not protect from all forms of the flu. It also takes a little bit of time to start working and you may have even been sick beforehand.

I'm not going to tell you to go out and get a flu shot, though. I didn't get one and I don't plan to because I don't come in contact with many people and I'm not elderly, an infant, nor do I have a compromised immune system.

Just don't let thinking you're going to get sick from the flu shot stop you from getting one.
    I do experiments, I know what happens to me when I get the flu shot.

Regardless, my decision is primarily based upon the simple fact that the flu shot is merely a guess... Which is why that was the first part of my post that you editted out and not a side note like what you focused on in your quote was.

your resident asshole

I do experiments, I know what happens to me when I get the flu shot.
    There can be side effects, yes, but it is nothing like actually getting the flu. With all due respect, unless you live in a bubble for a month before and after your flu shot, your "experiments" aren't really valid. (Yes, I know they are not meant to be professional.)

Regardless, my decision is primarily based upon the simple fact that the flu shot is merely a guess... Which is why that was the first part of my post that you editted out and not a side note like what you focused on in your quote was.
    Well I'm cool with this then.