First 123 Last

Thread: Flu "Epidemic"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I had my flu shot last fall (back in October), but yesterday I got dizzy and felt kind of ill, so I went home early and slept. Came back in this morning, dizzy again and a bit of heat flash; going home again. Guzzling Airbourne like crazy.

Felt a little queasy yesterday. Not feeling sick to my stomach at all today, really.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Someone told me that influenza is not the same as the flu. I think they're wrong. Right?

Anyway yeah lots of people around here with the flu. My husband is just getting over it and he got a flu shot, so evidently it is not one of the strains included in the vaccine. Or maybe he would have gotten it worse if he hadn't had the shot, I don't know. I haven't had the shot and not gonna get it probably, so hopefully I don't catch it from him. (So far so good, knock on wood..!)
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Someone told me that influenza is not the same as the flu. I think they're wrong. Right?
    Influenza = flu, but "flu" is also used incorrectly by people to name conditions that cause gastroenteritis ("stomach flu"). It's a pretty common misconception. I'm guilty of saying "stomach flu" as well, but I just grew up with everyone around me saying it that way too.

Basically the flu vaccine does not include the "stomach flu."

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I noticed the norovirus, or "stomach flu," is mentioned in several of these articles. I'd just like to point out to anyone already not aware that this is NOT an actual flu (not influenza) and therefore is NOT in your vaccines. If someone is vomiting around you, I recommend getting the hell out of there if you don't want this one. The norovirus is highly contagious and can be spread by coughing, sneezing, if someone vomits near you, if you are by a toilet that flushes with vomit/diarrhea in it, or even if someone just breathes near you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosolization

Also, according to my physiology professor, vaccines take at least several weeks to a month to actually take effect. I don't know how correct this is, but it's something to keep in mind.

I'm a bit paranoid because my brother who drives me to school is sick. Luckily it's not with the norovirus.
    I met up with a friend a few nights ago and she said that in mid-December they went to a mid-week party with many of their friends. No one at the party actually had the stomach flu/virus at the time (i.e. no one was throwing up/actually felt sick enough to know they had anything), and they were all just doing the usual chatting and such. Come Saturday, 13 of the 15 adults had the stomach virus.

I found that... very alarming!! That level of contagiousness is not common.

They of course were all emailing back and forth, trying to figure out if there were commonalities, if there was a specific food item, but it wasn't food. Apparently one of the girls had had mild stomach-flu-like symptoms the previous weekend, but that was the only thing they could come up with..that maybe she was naturally more 'immune' to the full effects and thus transmitted via air to everyone else at the party.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

garbage

I was sick for a good week and a half--not sure how much of it was the flu, but it was definitely thrown in there.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I met up with a friend a few nights ago and she said that in mid-December they went to a mid-week party with many of their friends. No one at the party actually had the stomach flu/virus at the time (i.e. no one was throwing up/actually felt sick enough to know they had anything), and they were all just doing the usual chatting and such. Come Saturday, 13 of the 15 adults had the stomach virus.

I found that... very alarming!! That level of contagiousness is not common.

They of course were all emailing back and forth, trying to figure out if there were commonalities, if there was a specific food item, but it wasn't food. Apparently one of the girls had had mild stomach-flu-like symptoms the previous weekend, but that was the only thing they could come up with..that maybe she was naturally more 'immune' to the full effects and thus transmitted via air to everyone else at the party.
    Wow, that's terrible!

It reminds me of a show a while back--The Search for the Next Pussycat Doll. It was kind of dumb, but for some reason I found myself watching it on TV after flipping through some channels. In the episode, this one girl game down with a stomach virus and it spread to what seemed like nearly everyone. Someone actually posted it online...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post

They're wrong.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Yeah, I never get sick, but this one took me down for 4 days (which is ridiculous/ly annoying) around Christmastime. It's amazing how widespread this one is...I'm thinking it could've been like Spanish Flu 1918 without modern medical tech and all that. Not like I'm a doctor, though.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I got a shot yesterday. The place was packed with people getting shots. It would be funny if it was too late and someone was quietly shedding the virus among the flu-shot seeking crowd.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Got the last shot at Walgreens tonight. Probably too late to do any good but seemed worth a try.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639