User Tag List

123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default Should every politician have only one term?

Everything from increased polarization, to corporate influence, to extremely disappointing bipartisan deals have been attributed to the eternal election cycle driving every incumbent to make decisions based on their next campaign. For all those who think this is a real and serious problem, the most direct solution would be to not allow anyone a second term. Maybe the president would have one 6 year term. Representatives would probably need more than 2 years to be practical.

I do see some problems with this. While the campaign mentality has negative effects on behavior, it should at least in theory give politicians more incentive to act on the opinion or interests of the people, which is fundamentally what they're supposed to do in a democracy. It could possibly be worse to have politicians who see election and then feel free to do whatever they want upon election. The other thing is that for all our frustration with having the same old guys in the legislature for 30 years, there are advantages in having policy continuity. Constantly shifting over to new office holds might be dysfunctionally chaotic.

What say you?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

Term limits are there to prevent 'democratic dictatorships', not really to provide incentive or disincentive.

I think of it less as multiple terms, and more like the ability to keep somebody for longer if they are doing a good job (when does that happen lately though?) with interim points to boot them out without the legal process of impeachment.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Term limits are there to prevent 'democratic dictatorships', not really to provide incentive or disincentive.
    Whatever was originally intended, the consequences matter.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Whatever was originally intended, the consequences matter.
    That's true. I think that the reason why anyone wants to be reelected in the first place needs to be looked at though, if the reason happens to be something other than working for the people's interests.

Edit: or to put it differently, the same driving forces to reelect also fall upon the initial election itself. If those forces are not addressed, then nothing actually changes - we'd still have people getting in office to goof off for whatever reason.

One term is too short to do much of anything. Career politicians are a bad idea though, so I agree in principle. I bet people would be more effective and principled if they kept the "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" persona.. the politician who is just another man or woman, someone who has more the air of a "community organizer".

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

That's true. I think that the reason why anyone wants to be reelected in the first place needs to be looked at though, if the reason happens to be something other than working for the people's interests.
    Okay, but why doesn't that happen?

Edit: or to put it differently, the same driving forces to reelect also fall upon the initial election itself. If those forces are not addressed, then nothing actually changes - we'd still have people getting in office to goof off for whatever reason.
    That's only partially true. I believe someone could have good intentions while simultaneously altering their behavior out of fear that it will play against them come election time. Hell, look at how much FDR had to dance around in order to move us into WWII. If it wasn't for Pearl Harbor (which he might well have allowed) we couldn't have so publicly gone to war. Secretly, we practically already had.

Anyhow, I am totally in favor of election and campaign reform as well, which would influence the forces that get politicians elected.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    One term is too short to do much of anything. Career politicians are a bad idea though, so I agree in principle. I bet people would be more effective and principled if they kept the "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" persona.. the politician who is just another man or woman, someone who has more the air of a "community organizer".
    That entirely depends on how long one term is. I don't think I want a president to be guaranteed one 8 year term, but it would be possible to do that. That's why I suggested 6 years for a president and something other than 2 for a representative.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think the two term limit the US has is a reasonable comprimise.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I think the two term limit the US has is a reasonable comprimise.
    Is the fact that it only applies to the president part of that reasonable compromise?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    What say you?
    Yes.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont actually agree with term limits, I think the limits should be set by the electorate.

Even in the UK were no term limits of this exist the electorate, even with a good government and a bad alternative, have tendency to elect someone else after a sufficient period of time has elapsed.

The present unelected "coalition" of liberals and conservatives only got the voted they did really as a consequence of people casting protest votes or "feeling like a change" etc.

That's all despite some massively biased media coverage which should have made the labour party the only "alternative" extinct.

To be honest I can see how term limits, particularly shorter ones, could be very easily abused. The inability of any administration to see their reforms through before another comes into office and reverses them or simply abolishes them, as happened in the UK, would prevent any positive reforms, of any sort, being possible. Its not a political conservative's dream of some sort of stasis either as it would create a lot of frustration with politics per se.

The political elites could even like the idea, it may improve the prospects of the unelectable and they could start to put it to the electorate that its the ultimate in some kind of consensus based government by administration rotation.

At which point you've more or less reached full blown "chinese democracy".