User Tag List

First 123

Life has always been harsh. I came across a funny little "factoid" about some old Norse warrior with a surname that was something to the effect of "Child-Friend". Tolfsgar Child-Friend. Some shit like that. His peers gave him that name AS A JOKE. He was derided in his group because he argued for mercy when they raided villages and killed everyone.. children included. "Child-Friend" was an INSULT in his day. lol.. You had more respect if your name was Skull-Smasher.

I'd say, as bad as it is, that we've come a long way. At least many parts of society has. The world will keep spinning for a long time, with no end in sight, but people do and have evolved. Don't lament the present times like they are the downfall of humanity. It's not even close. At least now, when you're called a friend of children, it's usually a compliment.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Oh my god I love Man On Fire
    Really? Its loosely based on my life last tuesday

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

This very thing happened at my college alma mater last year. Same scenario, football players out of control. Now the college is struggling financially because many out-of-state female students who used to pay full tuition are not returning. Academic departments and others have been requested to prepare for 2-6% lower budgets for the next fiscal year. My sister, who is the director of the museum on campus, told me that... It's was an avoidable circumstance for the college, and a tragedy for the girls who were raped, since it won't go away any time soon for them.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Oh wow, I read that wrong. "Initial charges were dropped as the VICTIM received death threats," not the SUSPECTS. That's weird.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Oh wow, I read that wrong. "Initial charges were dropped as the VICTIM received death threats," not the SUSPECTS. That's weird.
    Pretty sick sort of world to be honest, too many people identifying with aggressors not much compassion.

I wonder if there's any shockingly good news on a par with these sorts of shockingly bad news stories?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Pretty sick sort of world to be honest, too many people identifying with aggressors not much compassion.

I wonder if there's any shockingly good news on a par with these sorts of shockingly bad news stories?
    For it to be shockingly good, people would have had to be expected to act appallingly and instead act nobly.

For one, there was the father of a child murdered at Sandy Hook who showed a lot of grace toward the killer and his dead mother, when many didn't even want to list the mother as a victim along with the others. There were also a lot of noble acts performed by people during Hurricane Sandy, putting their own lives at terrible risk.

There's even stuff involving a lot of effort to do good, even if people weren't risking a ton themselves. Even just this week, a bunch of people got together and rebuilt the destroyed home of an old couple who had lived there in one of the devastated locations.

There is stuff going on all the time, and it's even in the news; but for some reason it just doesn't stick in one's head as much as a mean/traumatic experience does....probably because we are primed to respond to threat in order to survive.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft