User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 317

  1. #11
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,075

    Default

    Maybe I'm biased because I'm just a big fan of men.

    However, I think that either gender in excess would create an undesirable kind of imbalance, resulting in a lot of negative societal effects.

    Perhaps the trick of it for both genders is to develop a sufficient sense of self-care that we don't feel taken advantage of by the opposite sex. I don't mean that there shouldn't be a sense of trust, but rather that by being discriminating about who we trust and how quickly we trust them, then we can remain more optimistic and protect both ourselves and those under our care sufficiently.

  2. #12
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Hmm... I was in a long term relationship and mine cheated on me. He cheated other times in our marriage as well.

    I dislike the implication that you are making about it somehow being women's fault that men are so faulty themselves. Read my OP and speak to the facts that men actually DO cause more societal problems than women, then come back and tell me why women should have to protect ourselves against men's behaviors! That is complete victim mentality.

    It's like telling a woman who got raped she shouldn't have looked so pretty that night....
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  3. #13
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    What thread?


    It is political and a current event, imo. Put it where you like it. I don't care.
    Exactly.

    Are we saying political means controversial? Cuz.... That's a very biased view of the meaning of politics. Unless we're saying because men exist within politics that it is political, or you actually wish some kind of legislation be proposed against men being born and existing ones being eradicated?

    I see why it's current though, got me there. Men do still exist.

  4. #14
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Hmm... I was in a long term relationship and mine cheated on me. He cheated other times in our marriage as well.

    I dislike the implication that you are making about it somehow being women's fault that men are so faulty themselves. Read my OP and speak to the facts that men actually DO cause more societal problems than women, then come back and tell me why women should have to protect ourselves against men's behaviors! That is complete victim mentality.

    It's like telling a woman who got raped she shouldn't have looked so pretty that night....
    But its the same you are talking about. You say you want lesser man because woman have been disappointed by them. Thats the same like telling a rape victim she shouldnt have provoked that guy, otherwise he wouldnt propose now to holocaust 'philosophically' his race
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #15
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    But its the same you are talking about. You say you want lesser man because woman have been disappointed by them. Thats the same like telling a rape victim she shouldnt have provoked that guy, otherwise he wouldnt propose now to holocaust 'philosophically' his race
    I'm just QUESTIONING why we need as many men as women. I'm sure I've seen others say the same here before. Women are superior beings in most ways. Perhaps we used to need more men because our world was physically harder and men had to hunt and build shelters and they were more likely to die, etc.

    And if we don't need as many men as women, I'm not suggesting getting RID of men, lol, I'm not even there yet....But, yeah, perhaps they'd be more beneficial if they modeled women-type behaviors. But they'd still have their testosterone and I'm assuming that is, in large part, what makes them so faulty, so, yeah. There would be that issue to deal with.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  6. #16
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Ugh. I don't know. I know a lot of women that seem more responsible than men, but that is just part of my social group. My family and friends think my husband just about walks on water because he works and brings his money home to his family, he doesn't run around on me or hit me or drink, and he treats me and the kids nicely.

    That makes him like a unicorn or something. But I know that it isn't like that in all social groups and that there are a lot of exceptions in my social group.

    Edit: And to be fair, my husband is at least my equal in all ways responsible and ethical and often my better.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  7. #17
    Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Maybe you should just stop hanging out with assholes.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

  8. #18
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default What Happens When There are Too Many Men, as in Countries that Select for Males~

    EPJournal article about Having Too many Men:


    excerpt:

    In many parts of Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, women and children
    are so undervalued, neglected, abused, and so often killed, that sex ratios are now strongly
    male biased. In recent decades, sex-biased abortion has exacerbated the problem. In this
    article I highlight several important insights from evolutionary biology into both the origin
    and the severe societal consequences of “Asia’s missing women”, paying particular
    attention to interactions between evolution, economics and culture. Son preferences and
    associated cultural practices like patrilineal inheritance, patrilocality and the Indian Hindu
    dowry system arise among the wealthy and powerful elites for reasons consistent with
    models of sex-biased parental investment.

    Several times in Chinese history, female infanticide and neglect created large
    surpluses of males. These men drifted into criminal gangs that terrorized other citizens;
    sometimes, these men formed larger militias that wreaked large-scale havoc. The Nien
    rebellion in 19th Century China was one such event that resulted in the death of 100 000
    troops and civilians over a 15-year period; the rebellion devastated the economy and
    eventually contributed to the demise of the Qing dynasty (Hudson and den Boer, 2004).
    Although spectacular sex-ratio biases on the scale of Asia’s missing women are
    relatively rare, polygynous traditional societies are more likely to experience betweengroup and within-group violence because poor young men have little prospect of finding a
    single wife (Ember, 1974; Ember et al., 2007). Similarly, the renowned lawlessness of the
    early American West is often attributed to strongly male-biased sex ratios (Courtwright,
    1996). The intense jockeying by young men for status, respect and economic success that
    so often spills over into violence and, occasionally, homicide (see Daly and Wilson, 1988b)
    is made all the more intense by the fact that the prospect of never finding a mate is higher
    in polygynous and, by extension, male-biased societies.
    In a similar vein, in late medieval and early modern Europe, elite titled and landed
    families proliferated beyond the number of titles and area of land available. The younger
    sons of these families, jockeying for status and titles, regularly threatened the political
    stability of their societies, becoming the “spearhead of feudal aggression” (Duby, 1977).Asia’s missing women
    Evolutionary Psychology – ISSN 1474-7049 – Volume 12(5). 2012. -922-
    Expansionist campaigns, from the Crusades (Duby, 1977) to colonialism (Boone III, 1986),
    were driven, at least in part, by this surplus of ambitious and aggressive younger sons with
    otherwise poor reproductive prospects.
    Male-biased sex ratios trigger the phenotypically plastic hyper-competitive
    masculine traits that allow young men - especially poor and low-status young men - to
    compete furiously for status and wealth in order to win a mate. They also appear to be
    triggering related behaviors: risk-taking, violence, gambling, alcohol and drug abuse,
    kidnapping and trafficking of women, and the use and abuse of prostitutes. All of these
    maladies are on the steep rise in India, China and elsewhere where sex ratios are malebiased (Edlund et al., 2007, 2008; Hudson, 2002; Hudson and den Boer, 2004).
    Not only can we trace the causes of Asia’s missing women to interactions between
    evolution, economics and culture, but the direst consequences are also evolutionary in
    origin. Even if childhood sex ratio biases can be eliminated, societies with skewed sex
    ratios will continue to experience high rates of violence and crime for at least one
    generation. Those disaffected gangs of young men also make perfect fodder for
    fundamentalism and violence of a more global nature. An important future challenge for
    applied evolutionary psychology will be to recognize and ameliorate the frustrations and
    challenges created by male-biased sex ratios.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  9. #19
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Ugh. I don't know. I know a lot of women that seem more responsible than men, but that is just part of my social group. My family and friends think my husband just about walks on water because he works and brings his money home to his family, he doesn't run around on me or hit me or drink, and he treats me and the kids nicely.

    That makes him like a unicorn or something. But I know that it isn't like that in all social groups and that there are a lot of exceptions in my social group.

    Edit: And to be fair, my husband is at least my equal in all ways responsible and ethical and often my better.
    Yeah, I guess they are kinda like unicorns.

    Here is a for all the good guys. Wherever they may be.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    Maybe you should just stop hanging out with assholes.
    My friends are awesome. I can't help but notice their mates are not. I can't help but notice that women are truly, usually, the better half.

    Tina> Involved with married man (who knowingly impregnated her) who won't give up either woman out of selfishness.

    Colleen>Husband seems pretty cool.

    Andrea's mom> She works full time, cooks, cleans, he sits on his fat ass, complains about others, and watches tv all day.

    Becky> She's always worked , put herself through nursing school, does all the house chores, and takes care of her sick husband who chats on internet sex rooms all day.

    Carrie> Her husband is pretty bad ass.


    So 2/5 good ones, worth their keep.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  10. #20
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Put it where you like it. I don't care.
    That's what she said.

    But seriously, biologically speaking women are more necessary than men because one man can reproduce with many women. So if you have a population of 100 women and one man you will have many more babies than 100 men and one woman (and what a scary thought that would be). So men are slightly more expendable, which is why they spend a large amount of time trying to kill each other, and why they are physically stronger and get to be the ones to defend the people from ferocious wild animals.

    So all the excess aggression and testosterone makes them more likely to be physically destructive. But it's not an inherent flaw in the gender, nor does it make all or most men more unethical than all or most women. We need balance to create harmony.

Similar Threads

  1. New Evidence for the Necessity of Loneliness
    By LovecraftianMonstrosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2016, 04:54 PM
  2. Should military restrict the speech of service(wo)men when it's not intel related?
    By iwakar in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 10:41 PM
  3. The root of so, sx, and sp
    By elranger1 in forum Instinctual Subtypes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO