User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Default Be a responsible citizen and give us your violent video games to be destroyed.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

What can you say? People are stupid. I wonder what they think that this would change, anyway.

I knew after the Conn incident that there'd never be an intelligent dialogue on immediate issues (like gun laws), when I saw a Fox news anchor pushing questions to their panel about their opinions on larger cultural issues. Totally dismissing anything about guns specifically. As someone who isn't totally for banning guns, I'm still not blind to the deflection gun advocates engage in like this. They tap in a vulnerable, somewhat nostalgic feeling in many Americans about the "good old days" and how the true problems of the world are always tech/entertainment/culture changes... getting people to fear everything except the immediate problem.

On another note, I wouldn't complain if games like Call of Duty disappeared - but only through changing cultural tastes and better game ideas. It's stupid to try to force it though.

In any case, I doubt he shot kids out of any military or criminal fantasy. We don't know much about Adam Lanza, but I'd venture to guess that he, in his warped thinking, probably thought he was sparing these kids a life of misery and rejection. Projecting his own experiences on to them. I don't have a solid reason to say this, but I can't shake off the suspicion. He sort of reminds me of this kid I went to elementary school with, who wasn't autistic , but had many social problems. He also peed in his pants well beyond an acceptable age, which invited further bullying. I ended up bullying the kid myself - one day me and a friend chased this kid for a laugh, but he slipped and broke his arm. His scream still hasn't left me. At that point, it was my friend egging most of it on, but I'm still just as guilty. And I bet anything that this Lanza kid grew up in a similarly shitty way. I think it's something deep seated that got him to go back to his own elementary school. It's a very symbolic location for a shooting. There must be a reason for it. If he simply wanted to play out violent or militaristic impulses, he could have went to dozens of other places. This shooting should spark more dialogue not only on guns, but on specific psychological pain like his. Instead, we'll waste time talking about the downfall of family values or how Mario bros is bad for the brain. Fucking idiots.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

... because people won't see violence anywhere else? like the news?

and yes... I'm TOTALLY taking Cher's argument on the topic from Clueless here
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Step 1: Go to a Good Will store and look for a cheap "violent" game (perhaps $2.)
    Step 2: Sell to these people to get $25 Gift Certificate.
    Step 3: ?
    Step 4: PROFIT

That is what I'd be doing if I was in Connecticut. Keep trying old business model, keep trying. We'd just run circles on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Step 1: Go to a Good Will store and look for a cheap "violent" game (perhaps $2.)

That is what I'd be doing if I was in Connecticut. Keep trying old business model, keep trying. We'd just run circles on you.
    OK, why is the INFJ dreaming up schemes, and I'm going off a tangent on psychological and bullying issues.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post

Yeah, the only catch is that the $25 certificate is probably just a discount coupon for something exciting like weekend classes in Jesus Camp or a collectors edition of "The View" DVD set.

You didn't actually think you'd get a good deal out of this kneejerk assbackward moral panic, did you?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    OK, why is the INFJ dreaming up schemes, and I'm going off a tangent on psychological and bullying issues.
    Because this buyback program is as irrelevant as they make it to be. The way they are attacking it is about as futile as clapping with one hand.

It is like they implemented this plan without thinking. It is flawed.

The reasoning behind the plan is nice though, but flawed.

Ultimately flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Yeah, the only catch is that the $25 certificate is probably just a discount coupon for something exciting like weekend classes in Jesus Camp or a collectors edition of "The View" DVD set.

You didn't actually think you'd get a good deal out of this kneejerk assbackward moral panic, did you?
    Hey, if they really are willing to give $25 dollar coupon for water parks, I am quite sure a family would be willing to buy it for $15 dollars if it means the parents can spend time with their kids more often with as many coupons as they can get. I get money, and they get to spend time with their kids for cheap. It is a win-win scenario.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    This is funny because I immediately thought of the same thing that @Rail Tracer did.