User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Also I'm wondering what happens if you take in a shitty old Genesis game, like Technocop, or Xperts.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Also I'm wondering what happens if you take in a shitty old Genesis game, like Technocop, or Xperts.
    Quite sure it is any physical copies of "violent" video games.

Heck, I'd be surprised if they didn't accept Duck Hunt, Donkey Kong, Pac Man, or even Pokemon.

If there is anyone who don't want their giant arcade machines because the games are violent, please send them my way. I can make a fortune just stashing them for later resell.

Permabanned

You can pry my GTA V out of my cold dead hands.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Quite sure it is any physical copies of "violent" video games.

Heck, I'd be surprised if they didn't accept Duck Hunt, Donkey Kong, Pac Man, or even Pokemon.

If there is anyone who don't want their giant arcade machines because the games are violent, please send them my way. I can make a fortune just stashing them for later resell.
    Hah, well who ever came up with this scheme must be very cloistered and oblivious to think it would actually do anything, so as far as we know they might not even be able to recognize a cartridge as a game to begin with.

They probably don't even know the first thing to look for. It's like fishing with a tennis ball - no understanding of the target whatsoever.

Violent or not I'm not sure its a good thing to be totally consumed by video games.

I'm not sure that totally consuming passions are a great thing, although as they go there's better ones than video games.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Violent or not I'm not sure its a good thing to be totally consumed by video games.

I'm not sure that totally consuming passions are a great thing, although as they go there's better ones than video games.
    I agree with that but bribery with a $25 gift certificate is the wrong way to get anyone to see that.

1. monetary incentives don't teach anyone anything and
    2. it's a crap deal anyway. Some games nowdays cost twice this amount so they end up being an extended investment in entertainment that people are not going to give up for a one shot gift certificate.

1. monetary incentives don't teach anyone anything
    No one needs to be taught anything anyways. I'm 35 (unfortunately). The average gamer age is 37. Even if you offered me a $5000 dollar incentive, I'd cash in, but I'm not going to stop playing games. I'm stuck in my ways, etc.. I'm smarter than everyone who wants to change me anyhow. $25 might be incentive enough for a 4 year old. Yet, at the same time, kids play the most innocent games. There's no reason "Barbie's Dress Up 2" is inspiring mass shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

Here is the thing, parents have every right to make decisions for their children. What they can play and watch are one of them. They just choose not to. They choose to let their children watch T.V. at home (some even allowing to have t.v. in their children's room.) They choose to buy their children video games. They choose to buy computers for their children. They choose to buy cellphones for their children.

One of the single most important thing in raising a child is actually raising your child. Whether that means to not allow your children to watch t.v., play video games, own a computer, or own a cellphone with internet connection, you cannot appropriately raise your child if you are not thinking about how you are raising your kid.

The first 5 years is the most important to your child's life, learn to teach them properly by the time they grow up.

Hah, well who ever came up with this scheme must be very cloistered and oblivious to think it would actually do anything, so as far as we know they might not even be able to recognize a cartridge as a game to begin with.

They probably don't even know the first thing to look for. It's like fishing with a tennis ball - no understanding of the target whatsoever.
    Exactly, as much as I would love to see lots of Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, or Battlefield cds burnt to a crisp, it changes absolutely nothing. Though their initial thought is to raise a conversation, this event just doesn't do it any good.

I'm surprised that a whole plethora of groups are supporting the event. Chamber of Commerce, the YMCA, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    No one needs to be taught anything anyways. I'm 35 (unfortunately). The average gamer age is 37. Even if you offered me a $5000 dollar incentive, I'd cash in, but I'm not going to stop playing games. I'm stuck in my ways, etc.. I'm smarter than everyone who wants to change me anyhow. $25 might be incentive enough for a 4 year old. Yet, at the same time, kids play the most innocent games. There's no reason "Barbie's Dress Up 2" is inspiring mass shootings.
    They should also burn every bible on this planet, it IS filled with many violent passages. I wouldn't want my child to get any ideas from it. To think that lots of children have to succumb to sitting in mass hearing a passage of the bible. That is preposterous!

I would never want my child to read about Cain and Abel. It gives them too many ideas in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    They should also burn every bible on this planet, it IS filled with many violent passages.
    As much as I like many parts of the Bible, there are some parts that need to be tossed into oblivion. I consider myself Christian, but probably a heretic to some people.

Many people don't realize this, but a lot of current Israeli policies are inspired by their OT/Torah-centric reading of the Bible. Christians are misled to think that the "Torah" entails just things like the 10 Commandments and dietary laws. When in actuality, everything in the Torah is a "teaching" (Torah itself means "teaching"). Everything is meant to be a guide of conduct. The narratives aren't just stories. The tales of Israelites wandering Canaan for 40 years, raiding towns, slaughtering every man, woman, and child in the name of their God are meant to be instructive. This is what any Orthodox Jew will proudly say too. And they urge these views to the right wing elements of modern day Israel's policies with the Palestinians. There's a reason why they are unapologetic about killing kids - because it's in their Torah. It's what they think God wants them to do. Only the liberal, intellectual crowd of Israel questions it, but they are a minority. The actual religion encourages this. This is just as harmful as anything in media. Moreso even. Scripture claims a divine impetus, coaxes it's reader that it's doing "right" more than any game is able to accomplish.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as well - they're talking about kids but a lot of gamers are adults now.

I'm only a year or so older than you and have played a lot of games but I'm already responsible about them. Most people are not crazy about them to begin with.