User Tag List

First 678

Society

am i the only one here questioning the whole "Demise of [gender/culture/civlization/values/blablabla]" trend?

it seems to me like people are looking at cultural transformations from a nostalgic PoV, watching some emergent properties lost and not being able to recognize the value in the emergent properties that are gained, perhaps because the value they are looking for isn't the intrinsic value, but rather, the value of familiarity. the devil that you know.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    1. These are not college students. They're MBA students who typically need several years work experience before being accepted into a top-notch program. That would put most of them in the second half of their 20s.

2. As such these aren't merely a ridiculously small sample of our culture, but rather a representation of our culture makers.

3. Simply because an analysis doesn't contain quantifiable data doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. The most important things in life are not quantifiable.

4. The article is a response to someone else's depiction of these women and their behavior as an example of the progress of feminism. The author herself didn't go looking for examples of professional women going wild.

5. Ending with "Who is this moron? Eh. Nevermind. I don't care." just makes your post read as merely your inflated, self-righteous, hypocritical opinion.
    1) They are college students. Since when do you not go to college for an MBA? If they have spent seven years in college then they are entrenched in that lifestyle. I guarantee no matter what age, you lifestyle changed when you graduated.
    2) They aren't culture makers anymore than each one of us are. The author, however, is a bit of a shit-stirrer in my opinion. Taking one sample and extrapolating meaning to an entire culture. It's a bit rediculous. That's the problem, they aren't a representation of our culture. Lets take a bunch of nuns and observe them, then state how there is a ultra conservative backlash with females. Anyone can do this, and it's a skewed and meaningless discussion.
    5) Yes. Its my opinion. Don't take it so personally.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

WALMART

Speaking of which, did I mention in my last post the article used to craft this trendy thread is a heap of shit?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    am i the only one here questioning the whole "Demise of [gender/culture/civlization/values/blablabla]" trend?

it seems to me like people are looking at cultural transformations from a nostalgic PoV, watching some emergent properties lost and not being able to recognize the value in the emergent properties that are gained, perhaps because the value they are looking for isn't the intrinsic value, but rather, the value of familiarity. the devil that you know.
    +1
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

All that stinks to high heaven of post modern mumbo jumbo positive thinking bullshit.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    All that stinks to high heaven on post modern mumbo jumbo positive thinking bullshit.
    and that stinks to the edge of the universe of nostalgically-biased paranoid the-future-is-the-bogyman horseshit.

seriously, is this some weird 1down'ing game? you are as much of a product of your generational position in society as i am of mine, and if that's an ad hominem reasonable enough for you, then cleaning further fallacies is probably going to be a lot of hard work. i made a point, if you want to counter it, please explain what intrinsic value - non nostalgic - is lost. more thinking and less sniffing.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

and that stinks to the edge of the universe of nostalgically-biased paranoid the-future-is-the-bogyman horseshit.

seriously, is this some weird 1down'ing game? you are as much of a product of your generational position in society as i am of mine, and if that's an ad hominem reasonable enough for you, then cleaning further fallacies is probably going to be a lot of hard work. i made a point, if you want to counter it, please explain what intrinsic value - non nostalgic - is lost. more thinking and less sniffing.
    Your premise stems from the idea that there's no intrinsic value, particularly not in what you're labelling as generationally biased, I dont agree. Its a view common among the self selected spokes people of a "younger generation", I dont pretend to represent any generation and what I believe is perrenial or as close to it as I can get.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Your premise stems from the idea that there's no intrinsic value
    yes, i am saying that the attachment is to the value of the familiar, and asking you to challenge it:
    what other value do you see in the implied demise?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness."