User Tag List

12 Last

Default 'Tis the season to riot outside of a store to get your new Air Jordans

Every time a new pair of Air Jordans comes out, we have people beating, murdering and otherwise causing all sorts of mayhem to secure a pair. What is it about Air Jordans specifically that causes people to freak the fuck out on their fellow man? Does Nike have a responsibility to ensure that their shoes are released sometime before or after people start going into a materialistic seizure over christmas gifts? Should Jordan make public statements telling people how stupid they are for risking life and limb to gain a pair of overhyped shoes? Should stores all move to the voucher system(apparently it has success according the pepper spray article)? If stores do not go to the voucher system for these types of products, are they liable for the resulting violence?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/12/21/rush-for-shoes-at-texas-mall-ends-with-pepper-spray/

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ns-4138291.php
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I would hazard, at a glance, that this results from a collective assumption by a group about the quality of something based on hearsay and opinion.

Which has then been built up into a full blown adherence to that particular something, so much so that any deviation would cause ridicule and calls of the individual who deviated as being: "uncool". It's basically group-think at it's most overblown.

It's the same mentality that causes the new Mcdonald's just outside of town to garner more attention than the Burger King that is slap bang in the middle of town, mainly on the basis that it is: Maccy dee's innit? Always better than King". Although it being new could also play a part.

Essentially subjective quality and judgement becomes mixed up with a group's penchant to agree for the sake of well-being.

As for Nike's responsibility towards those idiotic enough to cause mayhem over shoes...im not sure. I would have to say that people should still be responsible for their own actions, but sometimes you need an outside force to dissolve the group mentality in the first place and induce consideration for a larger outcome.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ

Kicks and sports apparel are the haute couture equivalent of the gangsta and hip hop scene. It's status.

Jordans are kind of entry level - pricey and fashionable but you actually have some chance of getting a pair.

They continue to get negative attention because they continue to get negative publicity. It must be a hot item if people are getting shot over it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Kicks and sports apparel are the haute couture equivalent of the gangsta and hip hop scene. It's status.

Jordans are kind of entry level - pricey and fashionable but you actually have some chance of getting a pair.

They continue to get negative attention because they continue to get negative publicity. It must be a hot item if people are getting shot over it, right?
    Honestly, I see no reason to get shot over a pair of shoes. But hey, some of gangs (in which I won't mention) that started in California... got big because of a pair of shoes.

Most of them are only pricey because they are "limited." I swear I remember not so long ago that these same people got crazy about shoes that were all purply trying to mimic space dust for like 200 dollars and if you were lucky, they'd even double in price once they were all sold.

Ohhh yeah, these were it. Too gaudy for my tastes, lol.

To each their own I guess.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Honestly, I see no reason to get shot over a pair of shoes. But hey, some of gangs (in which I won't mention) that started in California... got big because of a pair of shoes.

Most of them are only pricey because they are "limited." I swear I remember not so long ago that these same people got crazy about shoes that were all purply trying to mimic space dust for like 200 dollars and if you were lucky, they'd even double in price once they were all sold.

Ohhh yeah, these were it. Too gaudy for my tastes, lol.

To each their own I guess.
    Yeah. Some times they end up being vintage shoes. There's shady fashion stores out there where you go in and in the back they have all these vintage shoes that you can't even find anymore. How did they get there? Maybe one shouldn't ask...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Admittedly way prettier than last year's was, but they still look a bit feminine in design.

I think Black Friday sales and sales like these ought to all go to voucher systems. It's too easy to form a line, and as the line grows vouchers are handed out.. and the people who receive vouchers get products. Like a ticket--you can just grab the ticket, get cattle herded to the check-out line and pay for it, and then get the product just then. It seems a lot more civil. If you get out of line to go to the bathroom or something, you'll be okay, and employees hanging out around the general line area can keep an eye on issues. It really frees the employees up to help control personnel and security of the establishment. I really think it is the responsibility of stores to call the police and have police be on the scene during these events so that it will go smoothly to begin with.

I don't know how many times during these things I've had to cause a ruckus with people trying to cut in line, or have 10 of their family members show up when only one was there the whole time. Lines don't work--time and time again its been shown that lines do not work. People go ape shit every time and break the civilized adult way of doing things. A voucher system means no line outside of the initial wait for a ticket--the merchandise is guaranteed to be sold, the customers who were on time get what they want, and don't have to worry about people shoving and pushing them out of the way to try to get to something. It's a lot more behaved.

In short: Vouchers are necessary. It's only a matter of time before someone holds the stores accountable for causing unnecessary frenzies for their products with flimsy lines that fall to pieces the instant the doors open because everyone's a savage when they see the galaxy printed on a pair of shoes.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Admittedly way prettier than last year's was, but they still look a bit feminine in design.

I think Black Friday sales and sales like these ought to all go to voucher systems. It's too easy to form a line, and as the line grows vouchers are handed out.. and the people who receive vouchers get products. Like a ticket--you can just grab the ticket, get cattle herded to the check-out line and pay for it, and then get the product just then. It seems a lot more civil. If you get out of line to go to the bathroom or something, you'll be okay, and employees hanging out around the general line area can keep an eye on issues. It really frees the employees up to help control personnel and security of the establishment. I really think it is the responsibility of stores to call the police and have police be on the scene during these events so that it will go smoothly to begin with.

I don't know how many times during these things I've had to cause a ruckus with people trying to cut in line, or have 10 of their family members show up when only one was there the whole time. Lines don't work--time and time again its been shown that lines do not work. People go ape shit every time and break the civilized adult way of doing things. A voucher system means no line outside of the initial wait for a ticket--the merchandise is guaranteed to be sold, the customers who were on time get what they want, and don't have to worry about people shoving and pushing them out of the way to try to get to something. It's a lot more behaved.

In short: Vouchers are necessary. It's only a matter of time before someone holds the stores accountable for causing unnecessary frenzies for their products with flimsy lines that fall to pieces the instant the doors open because everyone's a savage when they see the galaxy printed on a pair of shoes.
    Also I don't think they should say when something is released or in stock. Just ship it. Somebody will find it soon enough and tell other people. People will still come but it would be a more gradual dull roar rather than a murderous horde.

WALMART

I can only hope to produce a product held in such high regard.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Also I don't think they should say when something is released or in stock. Just ship it. Somebody will find it soon enough and tell other people. People will still come but it would be a more gradual dull roar rather than a murderous horde.
    There are some things that are very personalized when it comes to that--as in Black Friday sales and such..

... But if there were pre-orders available for things like a new product (aka the shoes in discussion) this would be ideal to me too. A pre-order means it'll ship when it ships, and you bought one, so no worries, it'd be a lot like video games.

But I think the mad-house is part of the whole shin-dig that makes this machine tick. I don't really understand it.. There are many ways to play into supply and demand without causing people so many problems.

And, yet.. another part of me is thinking, "when do we hold the people responsible for their own actions?" New products are released all the time and people don't murder others trying to get to them. If I were a cop, I'd say that the first fight I saw break out ensures that EVERYONE gets sent away from the store without the ability to purchase the shoes. If I were a store, I'd probably declare the same thing. No trampling, fights, or other such nonsense or no shoes will be sold that day.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The era of Air Jordan is long over.

The era of Black Mamba lives on!