User Tag List

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Gun ban - those that have experienced it

Victor, can you chime in?

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

So snopes wants to beat around the bush, but we can safely say that it at least didn't REDUCE crime which was the intended purpose of the gun ban.

I should think that the purpose of gun bans is to satisfy the necessity to "do something", usually in the wake of an atrocity, to satisfy public or liberal opinion.

MBTI
    INFJ

I didn't want to touch that video and I still don't want to touch it.

That's pulling the same stuff like other people do, with saying that our firearm homicide rate is 15 times higher or whatever.

Yeah - 15 times higher than 0.14

Using the phrase '15 times higher' makes it sound much worse than it actually is, and some times I think it's on purpose.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I've got to say, most of us don't think of it as "gun bans", especially living in countries where not that many people have them. We just think of it as not having a gun.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I didn't want to touch that video and I still don't want to touch it.

That's pulling the same stuff like other people do, with saying that our firearm homicide rate is 15 times higher or whatever.

Yeah - 15 times higher than 0.14

Using the phrase '15 times higher' makes it sound much worse than it actually is, and some times I think it's on purpose.
    I'm not a fan of inflated statistics or anything.. but if I hear that illegal abortions and the deaths of women as a result have gone up 69% .. even if that number was 1, I'd consider it a big deal. Armed robberies are not a petty, no-concern sort of thing.. they're one of the more common crimes. And 69% isn't a small percentage either if that's a true statistic.

I really cannot comment on much of this.. my mentality is just too different--I live in the South United States.. trying to take our guns away would have all of D.C. set to flame, and I live in a State where it is entirely legal to shoot trespassers. I'm entirely too bias in this topic to debate about the entire world's views..

But I do have a problem with a law maker being unable to define home invasions. Wtf seriously? That lady said it in like 2 seconds without stuttering once.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm not a fan of inflated statistics or anything.. but if I hear that illegal abortions and the deaths of women as a result have gone up 69% .. even if that number was 1, I'd consider it a big deal. Armed robberies are not a petty, no-concern sort of thing.. they're one of the more common crimes. And 69% isn't a small percentage either if that's a true statistic.

I really cannot comment on much of this.. my mentality is just too different--I live in the South United States.. trying to take our guns away would have all of D.C. set to flame, and I live in a State where it is entirely legal to shoot trespassers. I'm entirely too bias in this topic to debate about the entire world's views..

But I do have a problem with a law maker being unable to define home invasions. Wtf seriously? That lady said it in like 2 seconds without stuttering once.
    Yeah. The thing about percentage variables though is that there has to be a margin of statistical significance if you want to connect it to something.

This is important to decide if something actually has a significant impact, or is just an emotional reaction.

There's a natural wobble in statistics that needs to be accounted for. Small numbers might go up or down by high percentages with no known cause. It might not even be significantly correlated to any rulings if it falls within that margin.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    So snopes wants to beat around the bush, but we can safely say that it at least didn't REDUCE crime which was the intended purpose of the gun ban.
    AFAIK, the phase in of gun control has a very strong statistical support of progressively declining gun-related crimes (crimes where guns were used)... this isn't exactly news either, there are a lot of studies that looked at it. I got a headached google-fuing the topic. I often forget the spin that comes out of the US.

Anyway, gun control in the US is pointless. The issue now is the sheer amount of weapons, not the distribution of them. The availability of weapons within the society is essentially a nash equilibrium: you cannot reduce weapons in piecemeal, and the equilibrium is every person (or majority) being armed. This ultimately includes all institutions, like schools (teachers or guards), since the equilibrium point includes the availability for students, who need it because other groups have them.

That's why the general strategy is qualitative - limiting high powered weapons rather than segments of the population.