User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default Americans - Help take down hate group Westboro Baptist Church.

I'm tired of hearing about this disturbed, litigious family abusing mourners with their ridiculous picketing antics.

Sign these petitions. Use the laws they hide behind against them.

Every little bit helps, yes?

Petition to legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group

Petition to investigate the IRS Tax-Exempt Status of the Westboro Baptist Church
    "The Westboro Baptist Church is better-known for homophobic displays, suing people and picketing funerals than for providing Christian care to a community. Due to their harassment and politicking, their IRS tax-exempt status should be immediately investigated."

Pass it along.

For more insight on the WBC, I recommend giving this a read, sometime:
    Addicted To Hate: The Fred Phelps Story
    Last edited by Lexicon; 12-22-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: context.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

This moves me:

Mark pauses. "It might seem funny now, but those were the most terrifying hours of my life. I lay awake most of the night in their guest room, in cold, absolutely cold terror. Waiting for God to take me. Afraid if I fell asleep, I'd wake up in hell. Literally. The ultimate nightmare. "But I didn't. I woke up in the same bed the next morning. It was then I realized God might be nicer and the world bigger than my father had taught." Mark landed on his feet, renting a room from a retired couple and working, first as a busboy, then as a salesman in a downtown shoestore. He and Luava were re-united, dating on weekend and talking every night on the phone.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    For more insight on the WBC, I recommend giving this a read, sometime:
    Addicted To Hate: The Fred Phelps Story
    Assuming it's all true, I'm having trouble even getting through Chapter 2, from the perspective of the kids. None of it is surprising, except the severity seems even worse than I imagined considering that the kids (especially Nate) somehow did not die.

It's a shame that a family/group like this has been consistently given a national platform. The best ones in that group are disturbed and victimized, the worst are malicious and dangerous.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

This is a horrible idea. Especially if our determination of what constitutes a hate group is based on what the southern poverty law center thinks. Pfft.

Handing more power to the federal government to regulate what used to be free assembly is just rife with problems.

However, I'm not a libertarian and don't think people have an absolute right to be offensive. Localism is the answer. Any town or city should have the right and ability to ban any group they want from protesting in their community and causing problems.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

If that petition was against the tax-exempt status of all churches, I might have signed it. The first one I would never sign. I also don't think that any group should be designated as a hate groups by the federal government, even if it's just for "tracking" purposes(FBI). If you don't like their politics, ignore them, punch them in the face or, even better, ask your congressman, state legislators, local government to enact ordinances prohibiting protests in the vicinity of a cemetery. Is your intention to have them banned or arrested for having an unpopular opinion and exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Instead of whining about a group you don't like, get involved in political system. In cases like these, following the rule of law and going through the system is better than circumventing the constitution.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I saw these on Facebook and could not sign them. The WBC are horrible, no doubt. I don't believe they should be made an exception to the "free assembly" clause though. The KKK has been around a long time and they are about as hateful a group as there is, and I would still fight for their right to free assembly. (Incidentally, even the KKK is counter-protesting the WBC's presence in Newtown.) The WBC seems to have gone so far off the scale of offensive as to be ridiculous- I mean, really, picketing children's funerals? They're just doing this because it gets them attention. I think they'd go away faster if everybody just ignored the shit out of them.

Ostensibly, I don't have a problem with investigating their tax exempt status, since they seem to exist just to sue people who try to infringe on their rights to be assholes. It seems like a money-making scheme to me, at its heart. Then again I think there are some megachurches that are basically moneymaking schemes too, or political organizations, and I'm uncomfortable with the government getting too involved with making judgments about that. I'd sooner revoke the tax exempt status of churches as a whole than get into legislating what is and is not a church.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The WBC are horrible, no doubt. I don't believe they should be made an exception to the "free assembly" clause though. The KKK has been around a long time and they are about as hateful a group as there is, and I would still fight for their right to free assembly. (Incidentally, even the KKK is counter-protesting the WBC's presence in Newtown.) The WBC seems to have gone so far off the scale of offensive as to be ridiculous- I mean, really, picketing children's funerals? They're just doing this because it gets them attention. I think they'd go away faster if everybody just ignored the shit out of them.

Ostensibly, I don't have a problem with investigating their tax exempt status, since they seem to exist just to sue people who try to infringe on their rights to be assholes. It seems like a money-making scheme to me, at its heart. Then again I think there are some megachurches that are basically moneymaking schemes too, or political organizations, and I'm uncomfortable with the government getting too involved with making judgments about that. I'd sooner revoke the tax exempt status of churches as a whole than get into legislating what is and is not a church.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I just passed along the two petitions about them that I'd come across, in case they were of interest to anyone else/create discussion. Figured the 1st petition would've been linked here eventually in response, at some point, and that it'd potentially aide in changing their tax-exempt status, if they are no longer recognized as a church..
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Default The Most Hated Family in America

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    xxTP

Does Free Assembly include the right to picket a funeral? Aren't there laws about needing to apply for permission for a public gathering, and laws against public order offences?

(Incidentally, even the KKK is counter-protesting the WBC's presence in Newtown.) The WBC seems to have gone so far off the scale of offensive as to be ridiculous-
    They are basically the "Christian" equivalent of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. The sole purpose of their existence seems to be to redefine the word "jerk" (as you guys call it).

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't think that the US legal system acknowledged hate group as a term. I thought there were a couple of NGOs and a categorization used by enforcement, but that was it.

Being Canadian, we just banned them (some individuals anyway) from our country. We have it codified though, unlike the US, AFAIK.