User Tag List

MBTI
    INFJ

Default What's the real answer?

I had to give myself a time out before posting this. After some hours of deliberation and deferment, I feel I'm doing this in good faith, with good intentions.

So what's the real answer? Who do we really blame? Should we actually be blaming anyone?

Let's say for a moment that hypothetically there was a man who walked into a school and killed 12 children in the first unprecedented school massacre in the country.

Let's also say that the man used just two revolvers with speed loaders, which he obtained illegally.

Also we shall say that gun control is rather strict, but firearm deaths are twice as high as another hypothetical country, and actual firearm homicides are five times that of the other country.

Let's say that there was grief around the world for this country.

Who's at fault? Why did this happen when it did? Shall we blame the people of this country for not doing enough to protect its children? Or is it the fault of the shooter.

It's the fault of the shooter, isn't it?

So exactly at what point do we gain the right to blame someone other than the one who actually committed the crime?

I want to know.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

its a sad thing that happened and there were a series of things that contributed more than others.

i was thinking about the mom and how she spent more time with the kids in the elementry school. what do you think was going through her mind?

"why could`nt my child be like these kids?""what did i do wrong to deserve this?"

from his angle, looking toward his mom, his more focused on this than her own son. she was a volunteer, she did not get paid. she was there on her own time of her own will, being a mother to other peoples children rather than her own. it was like she wanted to just put him away somewhere permanently where it would be convenient, he would be safe and she could carry on with her own life. so, was she the kind of mom that was encouraging? enabling to be independent by providing some kind of structure that would allow him to grow and become independent? learning coping methods? or did she take the shortest route and plant him in front of a computer to play games? (not blaming games)

and the salt on the wound would be that his mom would be conspiring against her own son.

this is my interpretation based off what i read, my try at understanding as well. my opinion is going to change with new information, obviously
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Don't try so hard to seek answers for something like what happened. Odds are you won't find them, and the question will eat you from the inside.

The truth is, there isn't a real answer to that question. It's all a matter of your perspective. Maybe no one is to blame. Maybe it was fate that this happen. Maybe it's the fault of the mother. Maybe it was the shooter. The government. The gun manufacturers. Some guy that pissed off the shooter earlier that day and made him snap. Nothing says only one thing or person is to blame anyway.

We may never know.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

It's about having fucked up families in America.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Just found this during my bible study:

Instone-Brewer, in Divorce and Remarriage in the Bible,642 includes a chapter titled “Different Ways to Interpret the Biblical Text”. One of those ways he calls: “The New Testament Affirms the Old Testament Law.” A subcategory (?) of this view is one which tries to show that all the O.T. laws should be accepted today. Along with Rushdoony’s encyclopedic approach (in Institutes of Biblical Law), Instone-Brewer includes this book. He seeks to reduce any such view as untenable citing such laws as those which require the execution of unruly teens (Deut. 21:18-21) and the rejection of loans at interest (Exodus 22:25).

This reminds me of the time when I was teaching adult Sunday School at our local Bible Church. The teacher of the grammar school class was sick and the children were forced to go to class with their parents. My son sat with his mother while I was up front. It happened that I was teaching on the Ten Commandments and was dealing with the Deuteronomy passage just cited. After the class, as we left the church, my son rushed up to me leaving his friends close behind. When they saw that I was his father, one exclaimed. “OH! That’s Will’s dad. He’s the one who believes in stoning children!” They apparently did not understand the qualification of incorrigibility!

The problem with an objection like that of Instone-Brewer is that it seems to imply that God lacked wisdom with regard to the law as He gave it to the Israelites in the wilderness. Is the capital punishment of incorrigible teens too harsh? Such criticism fails to see the wisdom of nipping “incorrigible delinquency” in the bud. God would rather such youth be removed from the scene, than allow them to grow up and commit violent sins (perhaps involving the death of an innocent person) which would then require their execution. If such teens would “attack” the very source of their own lives, how can they be expected to respect the lives of others?
    Good point. The ancients understood a thing or two--or at least dealt with things heavy-handedly and proactively.

I still think it's about fucked up families; then and now.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

The shooter is to blame for the shooting. Would it help any to change the word "blame" to "responsibility"? What responsibility do we all bear in this situation? If we act responsibly, perhaps we have done all that we can reasonably do. How far does our responsibility extend?

In the end, it's still an unanswerable question because none of it is black and white. So then it becomes a question of what's acceptable and what's not. Am I my brother's keeper?

I think it's difficult to find the balance of what's good for the group and what's good for the individual.

*ETA: I do think that too often we want to place blame in order to shirk our own responsibilities. I know that I'm guilty of this at times.

Sorry to keep editing and sorry about the disjointed thoughts.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    INTP

We can each make our own answer

There is no one answer

There are lots of real answers