User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if I look at that statistical data and I realize that women are generally paid 80 cents on every dollar men make in the same position, and I find that wrong and vote for policies that aim to correct that, does that make me a sexist?
    No, voting for a policy is not racist or sexist BY DEFINITION. It may be, or it may be in practice but not by definition, or it may not be at all. If you were to vote for a woman specifically because she is a woman, or you were to vote for a politician who promised to discriminate based on gender, then I would say that is sexist.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No, voting for a policy is not racist or sexist BY DEFINITION. It may be, or it may be in practice but not by definition, or it may not be at all. If you were to vote for a woman specifically because she is a woman, or you were to vote for a politician who promised to discriminate based on gender, then I would say that is sexist.
    Ah, and so if I support affirmative action, then that means I'm not racist either?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Ah, and so if I support affirmative action, then that means I'm not racist either?
    Not necessarily. The answer cannot be determined from that information alone. There is also a difference between an individual believing that minorities should have more opportunities in education and employment, and believing that the government should engage in positive or negative discrimination to meet those ends.

MBTI
    OMNi

Not necessarily. The answer cannot be determined from that information alone. There is also a difference between an individual believing that minorities should have more opportunities in education and employment, and believing that the government should engage in positive or negative discrimination to meet those ends.
    If I do so based on the statistical information and studies which suggest that Blacks and Hispanics are far less likely to get a job than their White counterparts even when they are similarly qualified. And so I support policies that force employers to hire qualified minorities equivalent to their area's demographics, would that make me a racist?

MBTI
    ESFJ

If I do so based on the statistical information and studies which suggest that Blacks and Hispanics are far less likely to get a job than their White counterparts even when they are similarly qualified. And so I support policies that force employers to hire qualified minorities equivalent to their area's demographics, would that make me a racist?
    Yeah, I'd put that in that "racist" pile. You can't get around the fact that using the power of government to discriminate for or against people based on race is racist, by definition. You may prefer the terms "racial" or "racially preferential," but it's there. A non-racist policy would be to improve primary and secondary public education within communities in which it is substandard, since that wouldn't necessarily involve discriminating against more privileged communities.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    ...it's especially cool for white people to call other white people racist.
    I don't know if it's so much cool as it is safe.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't know if it's so much cool as it is safe.
    What do you think makes it safe?

MBTI
    OMNi

Yeah, I'd put that in that "racist" pile. You can't get around the fact that using the power of government to discriminate for or against people based on race is racist, by definition. You may prefer the terms "racial" or "racially preferential," but it's there. A non-racist policy would be to improve primary and secondary public education within communities in which it is substandard, since that wouldn't necessarily involve discriminating against more privileged communities.
    So in my example of Blacks and Hispanics being clearly discriminated against when it came to getting hired for a job, what alternative, "non racist" policy would you have suggested?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    What do you think makes it safe?
    It fits the stereotype. Everyone knows white people are all racists, right?

MBTI
    ESFJ

So in my example of Blacks and Hispanics being clearly discriminated against when it came to getting hired for a job, what alternative, "non racist" policy would you have suggested?
    Complete and total freedom of association.