User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 197

  1. #31
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    That's a very common definition of racism so I don't know why you've never seen it. I wonder how many other things you've never "seen" that you argue relentlessly against.
    That is why I asked for justification. :rolli: Do you have a problem with that?

    Or course, if it so common, I'm sure you could easily go find me a reference of it on the internet, so I'll wait here patiently for one.

    One that is often used to describe institutionalized racism is Prejudice + Power.
    Another arbitrary redefinition, but used by those who wish to specify the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  2. #32
    The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None
    Posts
    2,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Here's the American Heritage Dictionary definition:


    1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    Is the first part of that definition political correctness gone mad or am I a closeted racist?

    If I believe "race accounts for differences in human character or ability" but not that "a particular race is superior to others" at everything, but rather at some things, does this make me a racist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

    Narcissism, plain and simple.

  3. #33
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Oh? Where does it say in either of those definitions that racism is the "assigning of characteristics, positive or negative"?.
    Where it says "the belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability," Professor. Come on, you can't be so obtuse as to miss that in the definition.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #34
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    kiddo, it seems you are trying to "win an argument" here, when others aren't really in here for an argument. If you are in here to discuss something, please discuss it in a friendlier way than trying to find all the minor logical/definitional holes you can in other's posts (and in general in a friendlier way than trying ot argue the person.)

  5. #35
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Is the first part of that definition political correctness gone mad or am I a closeted racist?

    If I believe "race accounts for differences in human character or ability" but not that "a particular race is superior to others" at everything, but rather at some things, does this make me a racist?
    In some ways, yes. People have a tendency to use race as a proxy for individual characteristics. It's human nature.

    And personally, I'd make it "race ALONE accounts for differences in human character or ability," since it's obvious that the median black American or Hispanic American does not enjoy the same privileges as the median white or Asian American. That has something to do with "differences in ability," although there is evidence that there are hereditary differences in some abilities, as well.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #36
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Where it says "the belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability," Professor. Come on, you can't be so obtuse as to miss that in the definition.
    You used the words "assigning characteristics", good or bad, based on arbitrary standards such as race. That is a defintion for stereotyping, not racism. The definition you provided for racism even had the qualifier "and that a particular race is superior to others".

    Final point...
    Not all stereotypers are racists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    kiddo, it seems you are trying to "win an argument" here, when others aren't really in here for an argument. If you are in here to discuss something, please discuss it in a friendlier way than trying to find all the minor logical/definitional holes you can in other's posts (and in general in a friendlier way than trying ot argue the person.)
    I'm only pointing out a fallacy I saw. Unlike some people, I'm not going around calling people "ignorant" and "stupid".
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  7. #37
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I wouldn't call her racist. I feel like that term is thrown around too much and it's especially cool for white people to call other white people racist. I agree with Edahn about investigating the motivations behind her thinking. I've seen the similar logic used about why some of my friends have gone to South America, Asia, Africa, or New Orleans to do volunteer work. Doesn't erase the good that they've done.

    I don't think she's completely off base either in her logic, I understand what she's saying and where her values are even though it comes across as patronizing.
    There is nothing racist about volunteering to help the less fortunate. There is something racist about the attitude of "I'm a wealthy white person. My magnanimous voting for/advocacy of this minority is important, because they can't fend for themselves." When you stop looking at the policies of a politician, and only look at the color, religion, gender, you are falling victim to racist, religionist, sexist thought. An educated woman of letters such as Ms. Spikol should understand that. She probably does, instinctually, but ideology seems to have overridden that knowledge.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #38
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    There is nothing racist about volunteering to help the less fortunate. There is something racist about the attitude of "I'm a wealthy white person. My magnanimous voting for/advocacy of this minority is important, because they can't fend for themselves." When you stop looking at the policies of a politician, and only look at the color, religion, gender, you are falling victim to racist, religionist, sexist thought. An educated woman of letters such as Ms. Spikol should understand that. She probably does, instinctually, but ideology seems to have overridden that knowledge.
    Just out of curiosity, if I look at that statistical data and I realize that women are generally paid 80 cents on every dollar men make in the same position, and I find that wrong and vote for policies that aim to correct that, does that make me a sexist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Do you think that this woman ever stopped to remember that voting for someone because of the color of his skin is the definition of racist? Or maybe she doesn't even know that it's racist?

    You know - I don't really have time to get into it right now, and I don't really have all my thoughts lined up anyway. But this is my gut reaction to the whole "voting for Obama because he's black is racist" statement: It seems to be a very different thing to vote FOR somebody because of the color of his skin than to vote AGAINST him because of the color of his skin.

    I mean, I don't think it's a good reason to vote FOR somebody, but I also am not totally sure that it should be called racism.
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #40
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if I look at that statistical data and I realize that women are generally paid 80 cents on every dollar men make in the same position, and I find that wrong and vote for policies that aim to correct that, does that make me a sexist?
    If the way you express your support is by voting for women just because they're women, then yes, I think it does. It's patronizing. And if the author of that article had said that she supported Obama because of policies he espouses that aim to correct racial inequity in America, I wouldn't find that racist.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Similar Threads

  1. Racism (split from "I'm voting Republican" thread.)
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM
  2. Should I vote?
    By Evan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 12:58 PM
  3. Vote Match quiz (american presidential election)
    By tovlo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 06:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO