User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    You might be right that it meets some definition of "racist" (or even all definitions) but it ignores the motivation behind action. It's the same reason affirmative action is a sticky issue. I'm not choosing to weigh in on the issue since I see both sides and both sides have issues, but using race as a means of making decisions or analyzing problems to assist people shouldn't be cast into the same category as KKK members whose aim is to use race to destroy.
    There is a difference between racism and bigotry. Her reasoning is explicitly racist.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    There is a difference between racism and bigotry. Her reasoning is explicitly racist.
    Please define racism.

These semantic games are such a bore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ESFJ

In short? Racism is the prejudicial assigning of characteristics, positive or negative, to another based solely upon his or her skin color or ethnic background. Bigotry is intolerance or hatred based upon race, creed, color, sexual orientation, etc.

This isn't a semantic game. Words have meanings, and these two are not one and the same. Just as ignorance and stupidity are not the same.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    In short? Racism is the prejudicial assigning of characteristics, positive or negative, to another based solely upon his or her skin color or ethnic background. Bigotry is intolerance or hatred based upon race, creed, color, sexual orientation, etc.
    Sorry, I've never seen that defintion of racism before. Did you get that from a dictionary or is that your personal defintion?

If you had not read my earlier post, the semantics of this little game is called "arbitrary redefinition" a nice little equivocation technique which allows a person to make their own little personal defintion of a word in order to justify their reasoning. Since it is suppose to be the other way around, and reasoning is suppose to be based on objective definitions, it is fallacious to do so.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I couldn't make it through the whole video. Stuff like that is much better when it's short.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I couldn't make it through the whole video. Stuff like that is much better when it's short.
    It's also less to think about innit?

Oh yeah and we're not all racists.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Sorry, I've never seen that defintion of racism before. Did you get that from a dictionary or is that your personal defintion?
    Seriously? I kind of imagine that you're someone who gets into debates about racism a lot. Assuming that you do, I'm a little surprised that you've never seen that distinction come up. I don't actually know if it is in a dictionary, mind you, but it is a popular definition.

If you had not read my earlier post, the semantics of this little game is called "arbitrary redefinition" a nice little equivocation technique which allows a person to make their own little personal defintion of a word in order to justify their reasoning. Since it is suppose to be the other way around, and reasoning is suppose to be based on objective definitions, it is fallacious to do so.
    My mother is an almost pathological practioner of this.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Here's the American Heritage Dictionary definition:

racism
    1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

So there you go. You were ignorant of the definition. Not stupid.

MBTI
    OMNi

Oh? Where does it say in either of those definitions that racism is the "assigning of characteristics, positive or negative"?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Seriously? I kind of imagine that you're someone who gets into debates about racism a lot. Assuming that you do, I'm a little surprised that you've never seen that distinction come up. I don't actually know if it is in a dictionary, mind you, but it is a popular definition.
    It's an arbitrary redefinition of the word. It's no doubt popular among those who wish to make the word as vague as possible.

Enneagram
    1w2

That's a very common definition of racism so I don't know why you've never seen it. I wonder how many other things you've never "seen" that you argue relentlessly against.

One that is often used to describe institutionalized racism is Prejudice + Power.

I wouldn't call her racist. I feel like that term is thrown around too much and it's especially cool for white people to call other white people racist. I agree with Edahn about investigating the motivations behind her thinking. I've seen the similar logic used about why some of my friends have gone to South America, Asia, Africa, or New Orleans to do volunteer work. Doesn't erase the good that they've done.

I don't think she's completely off base either in her logic, I understand what she's saying and where her values are even though it comes across as patronizing.