User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Sniffles

I'm probably going to vote for the Constitutional Party again, as I did in 2004. Basically the choice between Republican and Democrat is exactly the same as between Coke and Pepsi. The only real significant difference between them is rhetoric over abortion: One is pro-abortion, the other claims to be anti-abortion.

Concerning Obama, I already discussed much of this at the INFP forum.

Face it; other than being mulatto, there's no real difference between Obama and the establishment.

He likes throwing around the word "change", as if it's some abstract concept. He never seems to explain what change it is he wants. Change for the worse is still change, yet that's not the kind of change we need.

Seems to validate GK Chesterton's remark: “It is futile to discuss reform without reference to form.”

I argued about the supposed differences between Obama's views on foreign policy and the views governing Bush's foreign policy. Again, despite the rhetoric, Obama does not represent significant change in American foreign policy.

At best, Obama represents a change concerning tactics in American foreign policy. That's it!

In regards to the grand strategy, there's not one iota of difference he plans on implementing. This shouldn't come as a surprise, since American foreign policy has been governed by the same grand strategy for the past 50 years or so.

Obama has not in any significant way challenged the basic premises governing American foreign policy, or American policy in general for that matter. Namely of course the notion of American hegemony. He still adheres to that notion, but wants a more "diplomatic" approach to such.

If Obama really wants "change", perhaps he could challenge the whole notion of American hegemony altogether.

Not to mention I hate how Obama supporters protray him as some of Messianic figure. Com'on!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    As much as I love Obama over McCain and certainly over Bush, I don't blame people if they don't want to vote for him. It's as heart said, choosing good cop economics over bad cop economics.
    What?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    What?
    Obama's platform for change is a short term tactical plan, not a long term strategic plan. He is still a tool for those who are truly in power in this nation. For an explanation of what I mean...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...99-post27.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

If I were in the States, I wouldn't vote at all because it would be a huge waste of time. The system is constructed in such a way that major change can never take place within an extremely short period of time. Meaning: No matter who gets into office, the machine will still run the same way it always has. Perhaps a bit more subtly, perhaps a bit more obviously. At the end of the day, though, it will be the same.

Until you all have a system that allows other parties to get a chance, or at least until you have two political parties that offer viable alternatives, your government will more or less continue to operate as it always has.

Anyway, doesn't your Congress make most of these decisions? Okay, the president has to ratify or veto legislation, and he makes some vital decisions, but essentially the Congress decides on the matters discussed in the video.

So I think the video was rather biased and unfair and quite illogical. But that's just my opinion.

Perhaps I am mistaken.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    If I were in the States, I wouldn't vote at all because it would be a huge waste of time. The system is constructed in such a way that major change can never take place within an extremely short period of time. Meaning: No matter who gets into office, the machine will still run the same way it always has. Perhaps a bit more subtly, perhaps a bit more obviously. At the end of the day, though, it will be the same.

Until you all have a system that allows other parties to get a chance, or at least until you have two political parties that offer viable alternatives, your government will more or less continue to operate as it always has.

Anyway, doesn't your Congress make most of these decisions? Okay, the president has to ratify or veto legislation, and he makes some vital decisions, but essentially the Congress decides on the matters discussed in the video.

So I think the video was rather biased and unfair and quite illogical. But that's just my opinion.

Perhaps I am mistaken.
    The U.S. Presidency, as a branch of government, has accrued a lot of power over the last 75 years. Congress even abdicated their power to decide to declare war to G.W. Bush in 2003. Hopefully, whomever we elect will be a more humble executive. History doesn't seem to be on our side, though.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The U.S. Presidency, as a branch of government, has accrued a lot of power over the last 75 years. Congress even abdicated their power to decide to declare war to G.W. Bush in 2003. Hopefully, whomever we elect will be a more humble executive. History doesn't seem to be on our side, though.
    Granted. However, I thought policy on these kinds of matters (education, health care, etc.) were decided by individual states rather than the federal government, or more specifically, by Congress. Surely they have not abdicated their power in these areas? That would relegate them to nothing more than a rubber-stamp...?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Granted. However, I thought policy on these kinds of matters (education, health care, etc.) were decided by individual states rather than the federal government, or more specifically, by Congress. Surely they have not abdicated their power in these areas? That would relegate them to nothing more than a rubber-stamp...?
    The federal government doles out a lot of money to state governments now, although they still have their individual spheres of influence. The biggest influence that Congress has is their power to dole out the money that the federal government spends. The President and the Cabinet are very much involved with coming up with budgets and new legislation, however.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Peguy: Aren't universal healthcare and the ability to hold talks with enemy nations to sort out foreign policy issues (instead of simply shutting them out entirely, as if that really helps) two very major changes Obama wishes to institute, big steps in reform which challenge the current 'form'?
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The federal government doles out a lot of money to state governments now, although they still have their individual spheres of influence. The biggest influence that Congress has is their power to dole out the money that the federal government spends. The President and the Cabinet are very much involved with coming up with budgets and new legislation, however.
    DOH! Well, perhaps some kind of meaningful change can occur after all. I stand corrected.

However, my question is then as follows: IF the president and the cabinet actually do have that much power - is that a good thing? - then I wonder why no positive change has ever truly taken place, even when other presidents were in power?

Perhaps you can enlighten me!

MBTI
    xNFP

[QUOTE=Samuel De Mazarin;232841]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm probably going to vote for the Constitutional Party again, as I did in 2004. Basically the choice between Republican and Democrat is exactly the same as between Coke and Pepsi. The only real significant difference between them is rhetoric over abortion: One is pro-abortion, the other claims to be anti-abortion.

Concerning Obama, I already discussed much of this at the INFP forum.

Face it; other than being mulatto, there's no real difference between Obama and the establishment.

He likes throwing around the word "change", as if it's some abstract concept. He never seems to explain what change it is he wants. Change for the worse is still change, yet that's not the kind of change we need.

Seems to validate GK Chesterton's remark: [b]
    To be honest, I have only a vague understanding of his political platform based upon news sources like CNN and Fox, so I know I am not an expert. However, I would REALLY like to know what kind of change he wants to implement.

Since the Congress has A LOT of influence over the distribution of capital and earmarks, I REALLY wonder if the executive has as much influence as the whole matter suggests. After all, no money, no action!

(Or am I mistaken?)