User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 197

  1. #101
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Moved some of the racism definition stuff here.

  2. #102
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    McCain even admits that he doesn't understand the economy.
    This isn't exactly a criticism. Alan Greenspan has said himself he doesn't understand the economy and he's spent an entire lifetime trying to figure it out. The fact is there's so many variables to consider that any economist claiming they fully understand the economy and can accurately predict things is actually a seer.

  3. #103
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    This isn't exactly a criticism. Alan Greenspan has said himself he doesn't understand the economy and he's spent an entire lifetime trying to figure it out. The fact is there's so many variables to consider that any economist claiming they fully understand the economy and can accurately predict things is actually a seer.
    Economists are great at analyzing things that have already happened. There are very few things that are predictable (increase in demand + same supply = increase in price, etc.).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #104
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Economists are useless when the economy is rigged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  5. #105
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    This isn't exactly a criticism. Alan Greenspan has said himself he doesn't understand the economy and he's spent an entire lifetime trying to figure it out. The fact is there's so many variables to consider that any economist claiming they fully understand the economy and can accurately predict things is actually a seer.
    True, but the context in which Greenspan was speaking was not the same as the context in which McCain was speaking. McCain said something like, "I really need to be educated, because I don't understand the economy. My knowledge is mainly in military and foreign policy."

    An astronomer can say they don't know much about the universe, and a third grader can say they don't know much about the universe, but they mean two totally different things.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  6. #106
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    True, but the context in which Greenspan was speaking was not the same as the context in which McCain was speaking. McCain said something like, "I really need to be educated, because I don't understand the economy. My knowledge is mainly in military and foreign policy."
    And even with that, Wesley Clark says that McCain doesn't know a damn thing about it outside of his first-hand military service.

    So who do we trust? The Clark or the Mac?
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 06-18-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: typo
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #107
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    And even with that, Wesley Clark says that McCain doesn't no a damn thing about it outside of his first-hand military service.

    So who do we trust? The Clark or the Mac?
    Whichever one is part of the political party you prefer, obviously.

  8. #108
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Whichever one is part of the political party you prefer, obviously.
    It's pretty simple, really. Don't trust politicians farther than you can throw them. And don't trust military men to be better politicians than anyone else.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #109
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It's pretty simple, really. Don't trust politicians farther than you can throw them. And don't trust military men to be better politicians than anyone else.
    George Washington, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and (arguably) Andrew Jackson were all good presidents. I'm not voting for McCain, but being in the military in no way exempts someone from being a good politician. I'd be fine with Colin Powell as President.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  10. #110
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    George Washington, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and (arguably) Andrew Jackson were all good presidents. I'm not voting for McCain, but being in the military in no way exempts someone from being a good politician. I'd be fine with Colin Powell as President.
    So were Ulysses S. Grant, Harry Truman, Jimmy Carter, and George H.W. Bush. It doesn't really tell you much one way or the other. And I'm not big on Eisenhower or Jackson, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. Racism (split from "I'm voting Republican" thread.)
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM
  2. Should I vote?
    By Evan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 12:58 PM
  3. Vote Match quiz (american presidential election)
    By tovlo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 06:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO