User Tag List

12 Last

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Default man invokes stand your ground law willy-nilly with another customer at little ceasers

pizzapizzasyg.jpg
    An argument that started over bad service at a Little Caesar's Pizza shop has lead to a shooting and a man claiming his innocence under Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law.

Randall White, who is 49 years old, got angry when his vegetable thin crust pizza took longer than 10 minutes to prepare. A 51-year-old named Michael Jock was also in line and started arguing with White about his complaining.

The two exchanged harsh words and eventually got in a shoving match.

According to The Tampa Bay Times, Jock has a concealed carry weapons permit and pulled out his .38 Taurus Ultralight Special Revolver when White raised his fist. He fired once and hit White in the lower torso. The two continued to struggle, and another bullet fired, hitting White again in the lower torso.

The two men eventually cooled off and waited outside for police to arrive. When they did, Jock claimed that the shooting had been justified under the "Stand Your Ground" law. He claimed he thought White might have had an object in his hand and feared for his life.

Deputies didn't agree. White was arrested on charges of aggravated battery with a weapon and shooting inside a building.

"There are arguments every day, but how many people pull out a gun? When you pull a gun out and shoot somebody, your life better be in danger," White told the Times. "His life was not being threatened."

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...ney_costum.php

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Idiots... We need a few highly publicized cases where someone invokes stand your ground and is convicted anyways because he wasn't using it as intended. A couple of those, and these incidents should stop.

MBTI
    INFJ

Deputies didn't agree. White was arrested on charges of aggravated battery with a weapon and shooting inside a building.
    Either that's a big editing mistake or they arrested the wrong man. It was Jock who had the gun wasn't it?

Anyway. At least they didn't put up with this shit this time.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Long Island Man Arrested For Defending Home With AK-47

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.

He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said.

Grier was later arrested. John Lewis is Grier’s attorney.

“What he’s initially charged with – A D felony reckless endangerment — requires a depraved indifference to human life, creating a risk that someone’s going to die. Shooting into a lawn doesn’t create a risk of anybody dying,” Lewis said.

Grier said he knew Nassau County Police employ the hi-tech “ShotSpotter” technology in his area and that the shooting would bring police in minutes. Cops told Guzman he was very cooperative.

Grier also said he was afraid the gang outside his house was the dreaded MS-13. And Nassau County Police Lt. Andrew Mulraine, head of the gang unit, said MS-13 has 2,000 members in the county.

“They’re probably the most organized. They almost have a military hierarchy within the gang, so they are the most organized gang we encounter on a daily basis,” Mulraine said.

You may think a person has the right to defend their home. But the law says you can only use physical force to deter physical force. Grier said he never saw anyone pull out a gun, so a court would have to decide on firing the gun.

Police determined Grier had the gun legally. He has no criminal record. And so he was not charged for the weapon.

That ShotSpotter technology pinpoints where a gun has been fired within 35 feet. Police said it also detected two other shootings in nearby Roosevelt that night.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I was wondering when that shot detection technology would be used on civilians. Surprised to see that it's already in place there.

Edit:
    Wow. They've been being used since the 90's. That's a surprising new one on me.

garbage

So here's an example where the spirit of such a law is invoked as it ought to have been. I hope all goes well for Grier in this one.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So glad I live in Texas sometimes...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

ah, checkmate. good game.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    So glad I live in Texas sometimes...
    I think Texas is awesome, although its possible to get in a fist fight without assholes pulling guns still isnt it?

Is that a bull crap calibre of weapon or was that guy just hard as nails that he took two shots to the lower torso but was able to batter that guy and wait for the cops?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think Texas is awesome, although its possible to get in a fist fight without assholes pulling guns still isnt it?

Is that a bull crap calibre of weapon or was that guy just hard as nails that he took two shots to the lower torso but was able to batter that guy and wait for the cops?
    'Likely' is a better term for Texas in particular, but the comment was more in reference to the second article posted.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge