User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Of death and children and American culture... What's the reason?

With the recent school shooting, the media has been abuzz with the tragedy, the horrible horrible act that took those children's lives. Brian Suits is a local radio host, formerly in the military. I think the perspective he gives on this situation is spot on, and I just wanted to share it. At least listen to the first 15 minutes.

http://www.kfiam640.com/player/?stat...l&mid=22717218

Honestly, it's true that this shit happens almost every day around the world, and many times in much more horrible ways. This is the kind of crap our men in service have to witness, the kinds of horrors that the average policeman can't cope with, as when the first officers witnessed the aftermath of the shooting. And truly, this phenomena of well to do Caucasian families producing the kinds of children who grow up to be so sheltered that they have no ability to cope with the real world, and for a myriad of reasons have no regard for life. No feeling responsibility for society as young men. Obama says WE need to change? Well I agree, something there needs to change. Obviously, something has gone wrong in a certain subset of the culture.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I think it's a flawed (entirely contrived) theory.

People in previous times/cultures still murdered people, still tortured people.

Do I think a society with a more open attitude towards death would be healthier? Yes. But I don't think it would end murders or terrorism.

What is his reasoning for the 1927 bombing? or the Russian murders?

I think just making up "wild eyed theories" does nothing but detract from people's attempts to fine actual solutions. He's just saying random crap.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I find this guy actually very offensive. He admits that these people are mentally disturbed and then tries to warp it into some kind of cultural problem with white people where we should have more guns, more soldiers and more men controlling schools (because apparently women teachers are incapable). He's just exploiting this tragedy to try and push his own agenda.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I think it's a flawed (entirely contrived) theory.

People in previous times/cultures still murdered people, still tortured people.

Do I think a society with a more open attitude towards death would be healthier? Yes. But I don't think it would end murders or terrorism.

What is his reasoning for the 1927 bombing? or the Russian murders?

I think just making up "wild eyed theories" does nothing but detract from people's attempts to fine actual solutions. He's just saying random crap.
    He's not talking about ending it, because you can't end it.

If anything I disagree with his sexist views.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

A good solution requires a good understanding of where the problem comes from. However, I do agree that there's a lot of finger pointing abut this subject. However, this has been the same sentiment I've had for quite some time about the nature of these sorts of shootings in this country. Not saying the failings of the well to do white middle class are the cause of all shootings, or characteristic of similar shootings the world over, but I think it's something characteristic of this country over the past decade or so, and it needs to be looked at. The black community has a problem with crime in general, it's true. Others have a problem with occasionally shooting up masses of people at schools. It's true.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I find this guy actually very offensive. He admits that these people are mentally disturbed and then tries to warp it into some kind of cultural problem with white people where we should have more guns, more soldiers and more men controlling schools (because apparently women teachers are incapable). He's just exploiting this tragedy to try and push his own agenda.
    But again, you don't see mentally disturbed people like this, doing these kinds of shootings/mass killings, in other cultural subsets in this country.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    But again, you don't see mentally disturbed people like this, doing these kinds of shootings/mass killings, in other cultural subsets in this country.

Virginia Tech shooter was non-white.

I would guess that rampage killers would be in proportion to the overall demographics of the country. Same conditions lead us to believe that most serial killers are white, though the FBI apparently refutes that.

MBTI
    INFJ

The guy's main point is that society is pulling away from empathy and becoming disconnected from the real world, and that media sells tragedy as a product like potato chips.

I don't think the guy is super smart about men being protectors and all this, but fundamentally he does have a pretty big point. And I think a lot of people are not going to see it because they are blinded by the very thing he speaks of.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    The guy's main point is that society is pulling away from empathy and becoming disconnected from the real world, and that media sells tragedy as a product like potato chips.

I don't think the guy is super smart about men being protectors and all this, but fundamentally he does have a pretty big point. And I think a lot of people are not going to see it because they are blinded by the very thing he speaks of.

But HE is the "media selling tragedy" that's exactly what he's doing. He's dedicate a large part of the show to dissecting the event (just based on personal biases and random jumbles of things that sound plausible).

Does he have a point about empathy in society? Yes. But it becomes totally void

A.) when we all take into account that the crimes aren't being perpetrated by the average citizen or overlooked by society. The are clearly uncharacteristic and unacceptable to us. The actions of people who are mentally disturbed. Is there a problem with the lack of empathy in society. I think, Yes. Is it the cause of this particular Issue. I would say no. In this case the problem was an unmanaged mental disorder combined with extremely powerful weaponry. The idea that having this person join the army would have solved this issue I think just seems stupid to me.

B.) If the core of the issue empathy, why is he not trying to promote empathy? When he starts trying to sell militarism and guns and male authority figures as the answer he loses all credibility. He just pursuing another vehicle to promote his particular set of ideas whether they are related or not. It's not about the victims or future victims. It's about using this as an additional entry on his list of why liberal society will destroy the world.

MBTI
    INFJ

@Pseudo

I think you decided that he was wrong before you even pushed play.