User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

@sprinkles

How/why would I do that? I've never even heard of him before.

I happen to be personally opposed to people getting on the radio and spouting off completely improvised bullshit about how to solve the worlds problems, especially when it's related to child murder. If anything he was saying was at all thought out, researched, logical and would prevent child death I'd be all for it. But it isn't. It's just a massive us/them, fire fanning, empty rhetoric free jazz solo.

Please explain to me how his position makes sense in reference to these events.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    @sprinkles

How/why would I do that? I've never even heard of him before.

I happen to be personally opposed to people getting on the radio and spouting off completely improvised bullshit about how to solve the worlds problems, especially when it's related to child murder. If anything he was saying was at all thought out, researched, logical and would prevent child death I'd be all for it. But it isn't. It's just a massive us/them, fire fanning, empty rhetoric free jazz solo.

Please explain to me how his position makes sense in reference to these events.
    You're expecting the wrong thing out of it because he wasn't trying to do any of those things.

He thinks it was better when young men joined the military. Ok, I disagree with that too. But he wasn't saying that would solve all our problems either.

When he spoke about the Bath bombing, it was a comparison to how it was handled. That fact seems obvious enough to me.

When he spoke about armed teachers in Isreal, he was actually debunking the comparison that other people are making. That fact also seems obvious enough to me.

When he was talking about the military, he was talking about having a core value system of some kind, not that people necessarily had to join the military. He even said as much. This also seems obvious to me.

None of this would have helped in the recent school shooting either but that doesn't make it completely invalid.

It's not 'us vs. them'. It's not going to prevent child death. The guy is not a scientist. Probably not an INTP either. He clearly wasn't out to "make sense in reference to these events." If you think somebody actually can (I don't) then good luck with that - you'll need it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    A good solution requires a good understanding of where the problem comes from. However, I do agree that there's a lot of finger pointing abut this subject. However, this has been the same sentiment I've had for quite some time about the nature of these sorts of shootings in this country. Not saying the failings of the well to do white middle class are the cause of all shootings, or characteristic of similar shootings the world over, but I think it's something characteristic of this country over the past decade or so, and it needs to be looked at. The black community has a problem with crime in general, it's true. Others have a problem with occasionally shooting up masses of people at schools. It's true.

Jiverly Wong in 2009. Ethnic chinese immigrant from vietnam. Whenon a rampage shooting. Killed 13 people. Not a middle class white man.

James Edward Pough 1990. Black. Commited the "worst single day massacre by a lone gunman in Florida history". Killed nine, injured four, and killed two the day before. Not white.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    You're expecting the wrong thing out of it because he wasn't trying to do any of those things.

He thinks it was better when young men joined the military. Ok, I disagree with that too. But he wasn't saying that would solve all our problems either.

When he spoke about the Bath bombing, it was a comparison to how it was handled. That fact seems obvious enough to me.

When he spoke about armed teachers in Isreal, he was actually debunking the comparison that other people are making. That fact also seems obvious enough to me.

When he was talking about the military, he was talking about having a core value system of some kind, not that people necessarily had to join the military. He even said as much. This also seems obvious to me.

None of this would have helped in the recent school shooting either but that doesn't make it completely invalid.

It's not 'us vs. them'. It's not going to prevent child death. The guy is not a scientist. Probably not an INTP either. He clearly wasn't out to "make sense in reference to these events." If you think somebody actually can (I don't) then good luck with that - you'll need it.

"I think these things are predictable because I think we have produced a generation of young males who don't feel any responsibility to their society. And they are allowed to shut off, where they will sit there and play a first person shooter game like [games] I garuntee you this kid did. They get to wire themselves incorrectly growing up playing these games where they are rewarded for pulling the trigger instead of not pulling the trigger. And they we're surprised when they get off their drugs or whatever happened, when some event in their life tht they can't handle happens, because they are not emotionally equipped, and they lack empathy, the only emotion they can muster is anger and frustration and greif in others. They have no emotions, so they go and trigger those emotions by doing something horrible. "

^^^ This is not A tentative statement. This is not an "I wonder". He's making direct statements on the causes and implying solutions and it's all speculative.

He takes very clear stances on things like

differences between boys and girls " we've allowed to creep into our conventional wisdom that boys and girls are exactly the same
    military participation = social responsibility "there is no more investment in society"
    gun control rights
    The whole section on gun control advocates and Bloomberg not even waiting till the bodies were cold
    "Incorrect wiring of children".

If he's not looking to make sense he shouldn't be commenting and especially not broadcasting his comments. It's just misinformation and possible misdirection from the real solution.

MBTI
    INFJ

@Pseudo

Fine. You're not happy with it. Write him a letter then if you think it's that bad.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    With the recent school shooting, the media has been abuzz with the tragedy, the horrible horrible act that took those children's lives. Brian Suits is a local radio host, formerly in the military. I think the perspective he gives on this situation is spot on, and I just wanted to share it. At least listen to the first 15 minutes.

http://www.kfiam640.com/player/?stat...l&mid=22717218

Honestly, it's true that this shit happens almost every day around the world, and many times in much more horrible ways. This is the kind of crap our men in service have to witness, the kinds of horrors that the average policeman can't cope with, as when the first officers witnessed the aftermath of the shooting. And truly, this phenomena of well to do Caucasian families producing the kinds of children who grow up to be so sheltered that they have no ability to cope with the real world, and for a myriad of reasons have no regard for life. No feeling responsibility for society as young men. Obama says WE need to change? Well I agree, something there needs to change. Obviously, something has gone wrong in a certain subset of the culture.
    Attachment 8623