User Tag List

Default Propaganda Films in the US, specifically Rambo

What did propaganda films like Rambo 2 and 3 achieve in the US?

Did the second one result in any actions by the US state about POWs left in Vietnam, if that even happened, I'm sorry I dont know whether that's factually accurate or not, did the valourisation of the Mujahadin (spelling) in Afghanistan result in any change in US policy towards that part of world?

I've always thought those movies were great action flicks but watching them now I also think they're a bit fascistic too, the first and the final one are probably the best as apolitical stories about the warrior archetype, David Morrell, the author who created the character but who wrote him being killed by their paternal/mentor at the finish in the book, said that both of those films were the ones he felt any connection to, despite not being involved in the writing or even consulted about the final one, saying that the most important theme in either of the two was a search for family or father figures (even though the father isnt seen in the final film it does feature John Rambo going home, the war over, to his father).

The themes of both the second and third films seem to be about the government, and more especially the American public, betraying the good patriots who're out the fighting the evil commies, now Morrell did contrast the Korean war vet, the good war, with the Vietnam vet, the bad war, in the book and it didnt come out so much in the film, in the book the town sherif isnt as evil a guy as he was portrayed in the movie and I dont remember if he dies even but the jingoism does not seem to be there in anything like the way it was in the two sequels to first blood.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

with those kinds of films, you dont really have to think and there are lots of explosions. its not really centered around the plot as it is the action.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    with those kinds of films, you dont really have to think and there are lots of explosions. its not really centered around the plot as it is the action.
    Did policy at all change based on these movies? I actually very much enjoy the first one, mostly due to the acting and the situation, and it seems the most "realistic". The second and third movies came out in Stallone's heyday over here, about the same time the Rocky movies were sweeping the cinemas; and I'll say on the ticket buyer level no one really gave a darn about the political ramifications, they were just action movies. I don't really have much idea if the movies were seen differently by political figures, to inspire them to do more for Vietnam vets. I think the first movie, if any, was the most influential and clear in its presentation of how unfairly vets had been treated by our country. it's one reason why it still resonates with me, despite not being a top A-list movie; I felt real pathos that has stuck with me since I saw the movie as a teenager.

I'm a big fan of Morrell, although I haven't read his recent books. But I did read quite a number of his books from the first part of his career, and his Brotherhood of the Rose is probably my favorite, although Morrell's bio of his teenage son's death (back in the late 80's / early 90's?) is pretty harrowing and I still have my copy and reread it. Note that the Brotherhood of the Rose deals with two orphans who have a "father figure" who uses and betrays them; the latter is the story about a father who loses his son. (And from what I can see, whatever his dad issues might have been, Morrell was an excellent father to his son. It was just horrible to see what that family went through.)

I wasn't really aware of the quotes Lark mentioned about how he felt a connection to the second and third movies; I found them pretty much ignorable; it was all action hype, with gimmicks like shooting exploding arrows and stuff... your typical American revenge violence flick.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Our cop shows are terrible about this. Generally the hero is going around violating people's civil rights and endangering the public. I never noticed it until I had a negative experience with the police. Ever since then, I can't watch Law and Order without yelling "Shut up and get a lawyer!" at the TV.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What did propaganda films like Rambo 2 and 3 achieve in the US?

Did the second one result in any actions by the US state about POWs left in Vietnam, if that even happened, I'm sorry I dont know whether that's factually accurate or not, did the valourisation of the Mujahadin (spelling) in Afghanistan result in any change in US policy towards that part of world?

I've always thought those movies were great action flicks but watching them now I also think they're a bit fascistic too, the first and the final one are probably the best as apolitical stories about the warrior archetype, David Morrell, the author who created the character but who wrote him being killed by their paternal/mentor at the finish in the book, said that both of those films were the ones he felt any connection to, despite not being involved in the writing or even consulted about the final one, saying that the most important theme in either of the two was a search for family or father figures (even though the father isnt seen in the final film it does feature John Rambo going home, the war over, to his father).

The themes of both the second and third films seem to be about the government, and more especially the American public, betraying the good patriots who're out the fighting the evil commies, now Morrell did contrast the Korean war vet, the good war, with the Vietnam vet, the bad war, in the book and it didnt come out so much in the film, in the book the town sherif isnt as evil a guy as he was portrayed in the movie and I dont remember if he dies even but the jingoism does not seem to be there in anything like the way it was in the two sequels to first blood.
    Holden Caulfield had a brother.
    He bought a jag.

I think one big reason for the Rambo movies is that Sylvester Stallone was trying to find a non-Rocky-related way to make some more money.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

they create an character of warrior archetype that people admire and thus see them as something to strive for or at least accept/admire in others and the admiration and acceptance of others is what boosts this even further, since people want admiration and acceptance from others. mindless sheep i say, but on the positive side, its a great way to eliminate those retards by sending them to death -> population control cuts off the right people. yea yea, cry soldiers, especially you who contradict your belief in god by breaking the first commandment.

edit. and the acceptance isnt just about acceptance of someone being a soldier, but acceptance towards the things that soldiers do, killing. but the acceptance of killing is focused on the "others", be it vietnamese, russians or who ever is the current enemy. but even tho the focus is on the other people and not us, im fairly certain that the unconscious effect it has on people leads all over, but is more easily repressed, but causes inner tensions that might lead to all sorts of head fuck ups in those prone to that.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I do know that one of the Rambo films tried to make Myanmar look bad. They had crazy generals shooting at random people. I'm sure the idea was "there are innocent people dying in Myanmar", we must do something. Of course, none of us know whether it is true that Myanmese generals are killing anyone, but it is likely, the Myanmar government wasn't submitting to western political demands, and that's why black propaganda was made about Myanmar. A few years ago, "political prisoner", and a key western puppet, Aung San Su Kyi was released. Since then, she's been hard at work for the west, changing the Myanmar government to suit the needs of the western oligarchy. Many concesions have been granted for western corporations (ie sweat shops, or foreign control of key industries) in Myanmar. I don't think that Rambo alone achieved these goals, but it's a combination of things.