User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Aspie NASA Hacker gets off Scot Free

Gary McKinnon is now unlikely to face any legal action over his "hacking" exploits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-no-uk-charges

Extradition to the US would be a "breach of his human rights".
    Which doesn't say much for our view of US Justice system...

Well done Theresa, you got one right!

Should there really be no further consequences though? Is Aspergers a "serious mental illness"? Is risk of suicide an adequate reason to renege on extradition treaties?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

I have asperger's and I think he should face some consequences. Risk of suicide shouldn't affect that. It's quite a stretch to say that a person with asperger's wouldn't know that hacking is wrong, it really only affects social areas.

Asperger's itself isn't a serious mental illness, but it is nearly always comorbid with things like depression and anxiety, and some others I can't remember, and those can be serious enough to be dangerous to the person. Regardless of any of that, they could always just assign someone to stay with him if he is really that suicidal.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Gary McKinnon is now unlikely to face any legal action over his "hacking" exploits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-no-uk-charges

Extradition to the US would be a "breach of his human rights".
    Which doesn't say much for our view of US Justice system...

Well done Theresa, you got one right!

Should there really be no further consequences though? Is Aspergers a "serious mental illness"? Is risk of suicide an adequate reason to renege on extradition treaties?
    It is so rare to have good news! I am happy Theresa did not fawn .. in face of American pressure.
    Yes, that is the spirit. Do not give in to Uncle Sam.
    Too many other innocent people languish in prison there already. They do not have a human judicial system.
    There should not be further consequences. This is quite enough, thank you.
    Asperger's is another mental condition. McKinnon had a good motive.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    It is so rare to have good news! I am happy Theresa did not fawn .. in face of American pressure.
    Yes, that is the spirit. Do not give in to Uncle Sam.
    Too many other innocent people languish in prison there already. They do not have a human judicial system.
    There should not be further consequences. This is quite enough, thank you.
    Asperger's is another mental condition. McKinnon had a good motive.
    I think if he hadn't been facing a 70 yr prison sentence, it might have gone a different way.
    Seems absurdly punitive. Especially given that all he did was locate desktop machines with default admin passwords...

That said, I don't think Aspergers should exempt someone from standing trial. Nor should depression. I mean - who wouldn't be depressed at the prospect of a 70 yr jail term? It's not the best precedent to set...

Speaking of American prisons, I found this kind of shocking...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It sounds more like our gov just wanted to make an example out of him, based on what systems he got into, although it sounds like he didn't go there to create any havoc nor did he.

There was an incident with one of my kids' best friends two years ago -- he was an ENTP kid bored with school, and he's got wicked computer skills. He ended using a common downloadable maintenance utility to read the ID file on the school system -- no passwords, it was just a list of IDs and the associated names. It wasn't even really a hack, nor did he do anything with the names... He was just your typical computer-savvy kid screwing around. But they found a printout of the numbers on him, and the superintendent expelled him from school and he was actually on probation for 9 months (he couldn't stay overnight anywhere, he had to be home by 7pm every night or something ridiculous), to make an example out of him. It just seemed very ridiculous to me; we should be directing the education of such kids, to mold their skills to positive use and especially if they haven't been doing actual harm, since it was obviously just him trying to understand how the systems work and building his competence, and he had no other disciplinary issues. This is the kind of treatment that MAKES criminals, rather than breaks them.

Anyway, you never know what kind of crap you'll run into here in the States, there's variation based on who is in charge of the case.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

He had a story about uncovering evidence of UFOs and "anti-gravity" technology... I don't know if he sincerely believed this, or whether it was a ruse to make himself look insane...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by _eric_ View Post
    I have asperger's and I think he should face some consequences. Risk of suicide shouldn't affect that. It's quite a stretch to say that a person with asperger's wouldn't know that hacking is wrong, it really only affects social areas.

Asperger's itself isn't a serious mental illness, but it is nearly always comorbid with things like depression and anxiety, and some others I can't remember, and those can be serious enough to be dangerous to the person. Regardless of any of that, they could always just assign someone to stay with him if he is really that suicidal.
    I have Asperger's as well and I disagree. Eventually McKinnon saved money for them. He uncovered a serious flaw in that security system. If he could get in, other people with more malicious motives would have got in. It could have cost a lot more.
    Hacking is wrong, but American judicial system is all right? He should not face further consequences.
    McKinnon is a hero who saved your ass.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

He had a story about uncovering evidence of UFOs and "anti-gravity" technology... I don't know if he sincerely believed this, or whether it was a ruse to make himself look insane...
    It's possible. I have two sons with autism. Both are at least average intelligence, but the younger one who loves to learn and loves science is terribly gullible.

He can do logic, but he has a hard time distinguishing between what is actually probable and likely in real life. He was very angry with me for days when he was little because I refused to trade the family minivan in for a hovercraft and several years ago we had to make him stop watching History Channel because he was waiting for the Mother Ship.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

I think if he hadn't been facing a 70 yr prison sentence, it might have gone a different way.
    Seems absurdly punitive. Especially given that all he did was locate desktop machines with default admin passwords...

That said, I don't think Aspergers should exempt someone from standing trial. Nor should depression. I mean - who wouldn't be depressed at the prospect of a 70 yr jail term? It's not the best precedent to set...

Speaking of American prisons, I found this kind of shocking...
    Thank you. Stephen Fry is a brave man who speaks the truth.
    I don't think Asperger's should exempt someone from standing trial. That said, I think it should be taken into consideration during the process.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Thank you. Stephen Fry is a brave man who speaks the truth.
    I don't think Asperger's should exempt someone from standing trial. That said, I think it should be taken into consideration during the process.
    This. Also I never said the judicial system is perfect and above reproach.