User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I've just got to say I seriously admire this guy. Well played sir, well played
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

He admits to trawling through Nasa and other US defence sites, but insists he was only looking for evidence of UFOs; he occasionally left messages in the system, such as "your security is crap".
    Point 1: ufos
    Point 2: "your security is crap:

lulz at at Point 2.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

garbage

From personal experience back in the days where I supported NASA, I can totally believe that their security is crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Is risk of suicide an adequate reason to renege on extradition treaties?
    This is the question I'm mulling over.

The direct outcome of a trial might be, say, that a person spends 10 years in prison for some crime--that is, 10 years in prison is what the court has assigned as a consequence for the crime. But there are loads of unintended, secondary consequences that can't be foreseen.

Alternatively--for a hypothetical, what if it's guaranteed that that the person will commit suicide if they get into prison? What if the court knows that this will be the outcome? Are the courts responsible for all of the consequences?

I'm personally of the mind that laws ought to be somewhat strictly enforced, but that they ought to be constantly examined and rewritten where necessary. Because a lot of them are complete bullshit.

From what little I know of his case, it indicates that some law along the way should be changed in such a way that
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It just seemed very ridiculous to me; we should be directing the education of such kids, to mold their skills to positive use and especially if they haven't been doing actual harm, since it was obviously just him trying to understand how the systems work and building his competence, and he had no other disciplinary issues. This is the kind of treatment that MAKES criminals, rather than breaks them.
    this happens. This is what we should foster--channeling others' talents and energy toward good, meaningful purpose.

But I'm adaptable and willing to learn about this one, because I don't know much about McKinnon's specific case.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by _eric_ View Post
    I have asperger's and I think he should face some consequences. Risk of suicide shouldn't affect that. It's quite a stretch to say that a person with asperger's wouldn't know that hacking is wrong, it really only affects social areas.
    This.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Alternatively--for a hypothetical, what if it's guaranteed that that the person will commit suicide if they get into prison?
    Surely you know that's impossible.

MBTI
    INTP

It is not always suicide.

garbage

Yes, I do know it's impossible. As stated, it's a hypothetical, a "what-if," intended to spur thinking about our own logic in a way that might be useful for cases that are possible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    This is the question I'm mulling over.

The direct outcome of a trial might be, say, that a person spends 10 years in prison for some crime--that is, 10 years in prison is what the court has assigned as a consequence for the crime. But there are loads of unintended, secondary consequences that can't be foreseen.
    Courts routinely sentence to prison people who are the sole support for dependent children or even ailing parents, knowing that this will cause significant hardship not only for the convicted criminal but for others uninvolved in their crime. As such, courts seem to think any indirect consequences or "collateral damage" are not their responsibility, and blame it on the offender: as in, if they hadn't committed the crime, it would not be a problem.

A good example of the courts' complete disregard of obvious cause and effect relationships is when they suspend someone's driver's license, especially for something unrelated to reckless driving (e.g. failure to pay child support). Not being permitted to drive, at least in the U.S., often interferes with someone's ability to hold down a job, making it hard to keep that income that should be used for the payments. Put another way, the courts sanction faillure to be responsible in one area of life by making it harder to discharge one's other responsibilities.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...