User Tag List

123 Last

Default SECURITY AT SCHOOLS

Do you think security(armed guards, metal detectors...) such as something like airports have is a viable option for our schools?
    "May you live all the days of your life"

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Lot's of schools already have metal detectors. Highschools, anyway. Mine did, and that was 8 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if schools in bad neighborhoods and such already have armed guards, too.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled1 View Post
    Do you think security(armed guards, metal detectors...) such as something like airports have is a viable option for our schools?
    It is already in some schools, I've seen it in documentaries and clips used in training for agencies I work in.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My kids' schools are already practically locked down like prisons, but I don't think it's practical to put a guard/metal detector at every exit and still have the building escapable in case of fire. If you have a door that locks from the outside but can be exited without a pass card, a student or anyone with semi-legitimate business there can still let someone else in those doors.

I'd really rather my kids' schools spent money on teachers and field trips and feeding the kids halfway tasteful and nutritious food than on beefing up security even more. You are not going to stop these things from happening if the bad guy is determined, but you can sure make life hell for the people who are just trying to do their jobs and live their lives.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My kids' schools are already practically locked down like prisons, but I don't think it's practical to put a guard/metal detector at every exit and still have the building escapable in case of fire. If you have a door that locks from the outside but can be exited without a pass card, a student or anyone with semi-legitimate business there can still let someone else in those doors.

I'd really rather my kids' schools spent money on teachers and field trips and feeding the kids halfway tasteful and nutritious food than on beefing up security even more. You are not going to stop these things from happening if the bad guy is determined, but you can sure make life hell for the people who are just trying to do their jobs and live their lives.
    This is not bad guys in my opinion . This is way worse than a bad guy. Right up there with child molesters. Speaking of making life hell, that's too good for these people(?) Making death hell, that sounds more like it. Slow. Painful. Public...

And your probably right about the guards and such

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled1 View Post
    This is not bad guys in my opinion . This is way worse than a bad guy. Right up there with child molesters. Speaking of making life hell, that's too good for these people(?) Making death hell, that sounds more like it. Slow. Painful. Public...

And your probably right about the guards and such
    Whatever you want to call them. I understand the impulse to make people like that suffer. I think, however, that the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment was a very wise move made by our founding fathers and, despite my impulses to the contrary, I support it. Torturing a twisted person really doesn't do much besides twisting us, IMO.

As often as not, we don't get a chance to punish them anyway, because they kill themselves or commit suicide by cop.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Now, now. Make up your mind.lol
    Everybodys entitled to their opinion.

MBTI
    INFJ

Ugh what has the media done?

School violence is not typical, so no, not as a rule. People need to stop watching TV and go outside.

I could see doing it in areas that see regular violence but not in every school. That would be absurd and ham fisted, and do you really want to teach the children that they must grow up in fear? We have too much fear already.

Airports are different because they connect to travel corridors and consist of large assets that are highly relevant to national security. A lot of crimes go through airports. Schools are not typically crime corridors and I don't care what anyone says about it.

garbage

They could go the same route as the airports: crank up the security hardcore when something happens, then relax the standards over time as everyone figures out how impractical they are.

"No liquids are allowed through security."

"Okay, we're going to allow liquids on planes now. But only if you're a female above the age of 65, and only if you have no traffic violations on your record."

"Okay.. ... you can have liquids.. if you're a male or female and above the age of 50. .. but only if you don't store them in your shoes or jacket."

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Ugh what has the media done?

School violence is not typical, so no, not as a rule. People need to stop watching TV and go outside.

I could see doing it in areas that see regular violence but not in every school. That would be absurd and ham fisted, and do you really want to teach the children that they must grow up in fear? We have too much fear already.

Airports are different because they connect to travel corridors and consist of large assets that are highly relevant to national security. A lot of crimes go through airports. Schools are not typically crime corridors and I don't care what anyone says about it.

It wouldn't have to be a decked out armed guard. Something like a air marshall mostly in schools with high crime rates. Just a thought