User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled1 View Post
    It wouldn't have to be a decked out armed guard. Something like a air marshall mostly in schools with high crime rates. Just a thought
    Well yeah. Guard against what you can where you must.

Violence and crime is going to happen. This doesn't mean we ignore it, but it is a tough balance because you can't go overboard either.

It's a difficult decision when people can die. I'm not going to pretend that it isn't. It's always going to be arbitrary and people are always going to disagree on how safe we need to be. But the fact is that nothing is ever totally safe. It's always going to be a tradeoff for something else.

Accept, but don't neglect. Even an impregnable fortress needs a sally port.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Well yeah. Guard against what you can where you must.

Violence and crime is going to happen. This doesn't mean we ignore it, but it is a tough balance because you can't go overboard either.

It's a difficult decision when people can die. I'm not going to pretend that it isn't. It's always going to be arbitrary and people are always going to disagree on how safe we need to be. But the fact is that nothing is ever totally safe. It's always going to be a tradeoff for something else.

Accept, but don't neglect. Even an impregnable fortress needs a sally port.
    There is no kind of immediate deterent for this. If they thought " hey I might get my head blown off. Maybe I shuold find an easier target"
    "May you live all the days of your life"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled1 View Post
    There is no kind of immediate deterent for this. If they thought " hey I might get my head blown off. Maybe I shuold find an easier target"
    I don't think that is too effective when murders are often followed by suicide. Someone in that place has already lost sense of consequences. Almost nobody gets away unscathed with this sort of thing in modern times so they're already to the point where they aren't sane when they start seriously considering assaulting a school.

Also it is said that in close battle, action beats reaction every time. You have to be careful who you put in that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That is funny in one superficial way and stupid in many others.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Good thing he exists in churches to prevent all those child molesta - Oh. Oh shit.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Good thing he exists in churches to prevent all those child molesta - Oh. Oh shit.
    Going to have to perform an exorcism here Patches, you've been possessed by Victor.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Going to have to perform an exorcism here Patches, you've been possessed by Victor.
    I just get really, really agitated by seeing that statement come up after every school shooting. It's obnoxious. I really don't dislike Christianity despite being nonreligious myself, but that argument sets me off.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFJ

How often do people just stop and take in the world? I mean the world. Not what you hear about indirectly, or see on the internet or television. What's happening where you are at, right now.

Do you see it? What does it look like to you? Does your real world when you just walk down the street honestly evoke fear for you and your children?

For some people in some places the answer will undeniably be 'yes'. But the point of the question is have you actually looked?

MBTI
    ISTP

I believe that in Israel teachers are generally armed, and they have only had 8 people killed in school shootings in the last 10 years. As opposed to the US, where guns are typically banned from school property and if I'm not mistaken the body count is over 300 in the same span of time.

For me personally the only thing that evokes fear when I look at my daily life is the traffic.