User Tag List

1231151 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Another shooting...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14...ool/?hpt=hp_t1

These seem to be getting more frequent. Is this correct? Or is my view a result of some combination of selective memory and ignorance?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTx

God fucking dammit. No words.

MBTI
    INFJ

More frequent as opposed to what?

We've had about the same number of these events every year since 2006.

There was a spike around 2002, so if you're referring to that as the point of reference, then yes they have increased.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    More frequent as opposed to what?

We've had about the same number of these events every year since 2006.

There was a spike around 2002, so if you're referring to that as the point of reference, then yes they have increased.
    Can you point me to your reference?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Yep, pretty crazy.

22 children were injured in a knife attack in China today as well.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Can you point me to your reference?
    There's been a relative lot of them in the past decade. Is it just a coincidence that there are more shootings after Columbine got such widespread media attention?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_...#North_America

Makes me feel sick. Something is wrong wrong wrong when something like this happens.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    There's been a relative lot of them in the past decade. Is it just a coincidence that there are more shootings after Columbine got such widespread media attention?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_...#North_America
    I don't know if it is coincidence. I'm not even certain there was an increase in shootings after Columbine (1999). According to your list, there doesn't seem to be. 1997 and 1998 had the same number of shootings as 2000, 2002, and 2006. 2003 and 2004 have fewer shootings than years before Columbine.

That said, that list is incomplete. It does not include the Portland Mall shooting earlier this week. I wonder how many other shootings it is missing. Also, I don't think it's a good idea to include other nations when you're trying to analyze trends of violence in the US.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

guns are bad mmkay
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't know if it is coincidence. I'm not even certain there was an increase in shootings after Columbine (1999). According to your list, there doesn't seem to be. 1997 and 1998 had the same number of shootings as 2000, 2002, and 2006. 2003 and 2004 have fewer shootings than years before Columbine.

That said, that list is incomplete. It does not include the Portland Mall shooting earlier this week. I wonder how many other shootings it is missing. Also, I don't think it's a good idea to include other nations when you're trying to analyze trends of violence in the US.
    I just realized that you're referring to shootings in general. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that they have increased though.

If you're talking about just violence in general, it's leveled off and has actually decreased. The problem with this is that official statistics lag behind the times because of the work to compile them.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/homicide/weapons.cfm

Yeah, there seems to be more high profile shootings. The 'big massacres'. But less people are being killed in general in all the cases we never hear about.

It would seem that there's even less violence in general if it's all happening in these big clumps.