First 6789101858 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Americans elide their responsibility for horror by blaming the individual. For instance, you keep telling us, it is not guns that kill people it is people that kill people. When it is obvious to everyone else in the world that it is your gun culture that is killing children, women and men.

The proof is that a country very similar to the USA has banned guns and since then there has been not one gun massacre.

You are not fooling the rest of the world, you are only fooling yourselves, and in the meantime your children are slaughtered and all you have to offer is your sympathy. It is not enough.
    Gun control is one issue involved in this tragedy.

But if you bother to read anything associated with this case, the culprit was a disturbed 20-year-old who lived with a rigid mother. It's pretty obvious there was emotional trauma in that relationship, because what he did first was shoot his mother in the face; then he armed up, shot a bunch of kids, and then killed himself.

The guns didn't drive it, the crappy relationship with his mother drove it. The guns were just a tool he used to empower himself. Guns are a problem, it apparently was too easy for him to get access to both guns and body armor.

I think what bothers me is that you didn't bother to read anything in this thread or take into account the tone of the thread. You did not bother to address anything already brought up in the thread. You did not even make a case, or express condolences, or show that you understood any of the multiple issues involved. No, it was just one more excuse for you to piss on my country, generalize, and label people because you happen to hold a particular political stance on one of many many issues (i.e., gun control). You contributed nothing new, nothing insightful, and nothing useful. It was just yet another "drive by."

When it's all boiled down, what you've done online is pretty much the equivalent of what Westboro Baptist does when it shows up at the funeral of someone it doesn't know and uses it to once more foist their opinion of "fags" on the national discourse. That's not the greatest company for you to be in bed with.

I'm fine with discussing gun control, but don't pretend for a moment that you actually give a shit for people in my country; you're just here to vent because you dislike the US and take every opportunity you get to diss any policies you don't like.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

These killers should face a more tragic destiny... Government could give their corpses to necrophiles or something.

If they survive, death by brazen bull method.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Australia does have a lower homicide rate than the U.S., but their assault rate is twice as high as ours, and the rape rate is over twice as high. I suppose that means Australia just has kinder, gentler criminals.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    These killers should face a more tragic destiny... Government could give their corpses to necrophiles or something.

If they survive, death by brazen bull method.
    Some news articles mentioned the shooter had a medical issue that rendered him unable to sense physical pain, along with a host of other problems.. so.. the bull method would likely be lost on him.

None of that brings back the dead, anyway.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Some news articles mentioned the shooter had a medical issue that rendered him unable to sense physical pain, along with a host of other problems.. so.. the bull method would likely be lost on him.
    Interesting. Didn't know that.

None of that brings back the dead, anyway.
    The disgrace would serve as a way to nullify the appeal of becoming a celebrity, with long term effects.

Human rights movement would never allow that though.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Interesting. Didn't know that.

The disgrace would serve as a way to nullify the appeal of becoming a celebrity, with long term effects.

Human rights movement would never allow that though.
    Correction: PETA would never allow that.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

^That works.

Most of these folks tend to be very egocentric. Measures should take that into consideration. Gotta hit them where it hurts more.

Can't think of a politically correct measure though.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

heard that there was a school shooting and thought "gee... that takes me back to high school... why the fuck is this happening now?"

then heard that it was an elementary school... disgusting... what have these kids even had a chance to do to anyone yet? it's not like they bullied the shooter or anything of that sort, not that it's a good reason to shoot someone if they DID, but still... NOT expected

and I'm both surprised and revolted by the idea that a thread of this sort would serve as a podium from which to preach anti-americanism... I don't always approve of what my country does, but sometimes it's best to butt out and leave a fucked up tragedy alone
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Americans elide their responsibility for horror by blaming the individual. For instance, you keep telling us, it is not guns that kill people it is people that kill people. When it is obvious to everyone else in the world that it is your gun culture that is killing children, women and men.

The proof is that a country very similar to the USA has banned guns and since then there has been not one gun massacre.

You are not fooling the rest of the world, you are only fooling yourselves, and in the meantime your children are slaughtered and all you have to offer is your sympathy. It is not enough.
    Less guns = less massacres only makes sense. The 'well DUH' type of sense. I won't be impressed until you have more guns and less massacres.

We have 20 times more shootings per capita.
    14 times more people.
    But 90 times more guns.

Frankly, I think being good at not shooting people when there's a lot of guns is better than simply having no guns to shoot people with.

I'd say we're just better at guns, considering.

I don't get why you can't understand a problem that people have is different than the tools and circumstance that carry it out. You may as well claim a lack of polar bear attacks.

Edit:
    This is our perspective: "The house is burning! Put out the fire!"
    Victor's perspective: "The burning has a house in it! Un-house the fire!"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Using data on rampage killings from wikipedia and population totals from here I created the following graphs to give some perspective.

Note that for the casualty and mortality rates by year, the average for 2010- is taken as the average of the three years 2010, 2011, and 2012. For all graphs, 2012 death and injury counts were increased by 27 each, to reflect the current counts of today's shooting. I used 27 for the number injured as well, going off of the phrase "dozens injured".

and...
    So it looks like the number of mass killings follows the general violence trend until the 1990s. Despite the fact that murder rates have gone since the 80s (when the bulk of baby boomers passed the age of 30), mass killings have stayed steady. I wonder what it is about Generation X and Millennials where, despite the fact that they're less violent than baby boomers in general, they're just as likely to commit a mass shooting. The media explanation is seductive, but I'm not yet convinced that it's true or complete.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."