First 456781656 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    My heart goes out to the parents and families of these little kids. Nothing makes an act like this okay. It doesn't matter if it's with knives or guns, if it's in China or Conn. The fact is that one man's decision has changed the lives of many people, scarred the memories of children and broken the hearts of teachers and parents beyond comprehension. I don't blame guns and knives. They are only tools, A tool is inanimate. It takes a human being who has lost his/her sense of what it means to be humane to do something like this. For me, in my mind...nothing justifies a decision to kill or hurt innocent children...nothing.
    In general, yeah, those are the thoughts running through my head. I'm a parent, and stuff like this, my heart is broken for these families because I can imagine how I might feel if it had happened to me. And it's a reminder that you just don't know what's going to happen, it could have been anyone's school. Same kinds of feelings when 9/11 happened, you just don't know.

In general, I don't need to know anything about the guy enough to necessitate him being plastered all over the news. The story is always the same. In this case, he murdered kids and shot himself after; some guy who had repressed anger he needed to get out, or some other stupid emotion, because he felt like he had no control in real life, and then killed himself afterwards so the police/society could not take control back from him. Power fantasies by the inept and disconnected. it's an old story, and it is a pathetic story. I mean, really? Shooting children, because you feel like you're so pathetic and weak you can't even attack other adults?

That's all I need to know about him -- that and how he hurt all these families. He doesn't deserve national attention; the investigators can worry about all the details.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

this thread is depressing to me. how jaded people are. regardless of how often this kind of things happen, it's still a tragedy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    this thread is depressing to me. how jaded people are. regardless of how often this kind of things happen, it's still a tragedy.
    Not all of us are jaded. I'm mortified and sickened. Just thinking about parents for whom this year's Christmas is a complete horror story -- and the nightmare for them is just beginning, because time will continue forward without ending, and the absence will remain, and the hole will just get longer and deeper as time stretches into the future.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE

I don't know how we can possibly prevent this from happening again... and again and again and again....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    In general, yeah, those are the thoughts running through my head. I'm a parent, and stuff like this, my heart is broken for these families because I can imagine how I might feel if it had happened to me. And it's a reminder that you just don't know what's going to happen, it could have been anyone's school. Same kinds of feelings when 9/11 happened, you just don't know.

In general, I don't need to know anything about the guy enough to necessitate him being plastered all over the news. The story is always the same. In this case, he murdered kids and shot himself after; some guy who had repressed anger he needed to get out, or some other stupid emotion, because he felt like he had no control in real life, and then killed himself afterwards so the police/society could not take control back from him. Power fantasies by the inept and disconnected. it's an old story, and it is a pathetic story. I mean, really? Shooting children, because you feel like you're so pathetic and weak you can't even attack other adults?

That's all I need to know about him -- that and how he hurt all these families. He doesn't deserve national attention; the investigators can worry about all the details.
    As we say here in the south, Amen, Jennifer.

Chana, I'm not jaded. I'm a parent and a first grade teacher. This totally breaks my heart. I live a long way from Connecicut, but I've shed tears today for the families of these little kids, for those babies who must have been terrified. It IS a tragedy....a great tragedy and it's a sign of a sickness in the human race that this thing has happened more than once. In my eyes it's a sign of moral decay and if that earns me some kind of unpopular title, then so be it. I say this guy should not be plastered all over the news. He should not be made into a celebrity, but that teacher who died trying to save her students? She should be a celebrity. Make the dad who raced to embrace his child with tears in his eyes a celebrity. If it were up to me, the guy's name would never be mentioned again. But those children....their names should never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Agree, but as far as I'm concerned, once the facts of what happened are announced, there shouldn't be any media coverage of any of it - including the exposes/interviews of the survivors and victims' families.
    $$$.

Things like this are what the media call emotional events. They drag viewers to their networks. They are money magnets for them. A news network that isn't reporting extensively on this is losing easy money.

With that said...

While on vacation... I started reading about the knifing of school children in China... and now this? What a horrid day for children.

MBTI
    FREE

Using data on rampage killings from wikipedia and population totals from here I created the following graphs to give some perspective.

Note that for the casualty and mortality rates by year, the average for 2010- is taken as the average of the three years 2010, 2011, and 2012. For all graphs, 2012 death and injury counts were increased by 27 each, to reflect the current counts of today's shooting. I used 27 for the number injured as well, going off of the phrase "dozens injured".

and...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    It's not about being jaded. We can grieve this for being the tragedy that it is.

Rather what's going on here is that we are taking away the soap box from pessimistic opportunists who would latch on to this opportunity to deliver their commentaries about the state of the world and how many more gun laws and metal detectors we need to have and start going into all the things that are wrong with this country.

That's not happening here, not on my watch. There will be no disgracing these dead children by scapegoating them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp
    Socionics
    ILI

thismodernwordcomic.jpg

This comic pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't consider myself "jaded", just frustrated and heartbroken. Children died today because of ignorance, and a gun lobby that has its hand so far up America's ass its messing with their heads.

Gun Culture

The American gun culture shows its fangs by slaughtering 27 very small children at an American Elementary School.

Click on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZx2L7Lm9G4