MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Not my fault.

It is better to keep their mouth shut than to relieve all doubt sometimes. I do not have a problem with people owning guns. I have problems with people like the NRA head who decided to use someone, anybody as a scapegoat without realizing how much they (and the military) are to do to these so called violent games.
    Scapegoats annoy me as well, but it's not just the NRA using them. I just wished this thread had died because it gets me so worked up. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Scapegoats annoy me as well, but it's not just the NRA using them. I just wished this thread had died because it gets me so worked up. Sorry.
    Lol, I was thinking of creating another thread, but felt it was too related to this thread, anyways.

It has been used to ad nauseum to have to go from guns to games.

Finding have been inconclusive. And the people benefiting from advertisements on video games are the military and the firearms companies themselves. So they have basically shot themselves in the foot if they are going to blame the media.

They have the privilege to revoke usage of their IP and could revoke privilege to similar looking or similar naming items, they just choose not to.

MBTI
    INFJ

Think of GTA. Think of the in-game billboards. Notice any significance?
    I noticed that GTA is satire and makes fun of everyone, NRA included. I also noticed that every ad in the game has some kind of dark or juvenile humor to it.

Is that the significance?

Edit: my favorite ad which displays the attitude of GTA in general is the Ammu-Nation ad from San Andreas.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I noticed that GTA is satire and makes fun of everyone, NRA included. I also noticed that every ad in the game has some kind of dark or juvenile humor to it.

Is that the significance?

Edit: my favorite ad which displays the attitude of GTA in general is the Ammu-Nation ad from San Andreas.

GTA might not be the best example when it comes to the ads. I mean Weazel News and all

But yes.

But even then, a person that didn't play GTA would immediately think of a certain real life insurance company even though they are ripping them.

MBTI
    INFJ

GTA might not be the best example when it comes to the ads. I mean Weazel News and all

But yes.

But even then, a person that didn't play GTA would immediately think of a certain real life insurance company even though they are ripping them.
    Haha yeah. I see what you mean with America's Army and stuff though.

AA is totally a propaganda and recruitment tool. I used to play that. I don't know much about others though since I'm not keen on the super real war games.

Haha yeah. I see what you mean with America's Army and stuff though.

AA is totally a propaganda and recruitment tool. I used to play that. I don't know much about others though since I'm not keen on the super real war games.
    Remember the thread I created about Spec Ops? That game that is so different from your conventional shooters when it comes to story.

That is basically how it goes. The big difference between Spec Ops and Call of Duty/Medal of Honor/Battlefield/etc, is that

games like CoD glorifies the military, Spec Ops makes you look a bit inhumane by the end of the game (sorry for anybody who has not played it.)
    In games like CoD you are seen as a hero, in Spec Ops you look like anything but a hero.

The fact that the military would rather use Call of Duty instead of Spec Ops for recruitment purposes says lots of things, or really, what they have been doing for ages, propaganda for recruitment. It is a win-win situation because these games want to look as "real" as possible while the military want to recruit.

The other issue mentioned in the link about the NRA blaming games is that many of the firearms companies also support many of these shooting games. YET,
    They have the IP to revoke their brands from appearing in games.
    They also have the leverage to not give a damn about putting any of their firearms into games or advertising in game or in a game website.
    So it is a bit of a double-speak when they blame the media, and even video games, for there ill.

MBTI
    INFJ

Remember the thread I created about Spec Ops? That game that is so different from your conventional shooters when it comes to story.

That is basically how it goes. The big difference between Spec Ops and Call of Duty/Medal of Honor/Battlefield/etc, is that

games like CoD glorifies the military, Spec Ops makes you look a bit inhumane by the end of the game (sorry for anybody who has not played it.)
    In games like CoD you are seen as a hero, in Spec Ops you look like anything but a hero.

The fact that the military would rather use Call of Duty instead of Spec Ops for recruitment purposes says lots of things, or really, what they have been doing for ages, propaganda for recruitment. It is a win-win situation because these games want to look as "real" as possible while the military want to recruit.

The other issue mentioned in the link about the NRA blaming games is that many of the firearms companies also support many of these shooting games. YET,
    They have the IP to revoke their brands from appearing in games.
    They also have the leverage to not give a damn about putting any of their firearms into games or advertising in game or in a game website.
    So it is a bit of a double-speak when they blame the media, and even video games, for there ill.
    Yeah I remember that thread, it was one of the first things that came to mind actually.

I have nothing against realistic military sims per se (I like flight sims) but this whole glorifying battle thing isn't for me. War is shit.

As far as copyright goes, there have been some questions about that with certain games, and they get around it by either using weapons that are in the public domain (such as AKs) or by just changing the name slightly.

Since it's all virtual stuff there's no patent to be had since game guns don't physically exist. They don't have the real world construction or performance so there's nothing to patent, and I don't think you can just copyright what a gun looks like. So a gun model might be called "Lock" instead of "Glock" or "Beta" instead of "Beretta" but everyone knows what it is. Dead Frontier does this with all its guns.

As far as copyright goes, there have been some questions about that with certain games, and they get around it by either using weapons that are in the public domain (such as AKs) or by just changing the name slightly.

Since it's all virtual stuff there's no patent to be had since game guns don't physically exist. They don't have the real world construction or performance so there's nothing to patent, and I don't think you can just copyright what a gun looks like. So a gun model might be called "Lock" instead of "Glock" or "Beta" instead of "Beretta" but everyone knows what it is. Dead Frontier does this with all its guns.
    Yes, but most game companies knows that they are liable for lawsuits even if they slightly change the name of something or slightly alter how a gun looks in the game. The only ones that don't is if they are related to another company or it is beneficial to the other company (free advertisement.)

Think of Gran Turismo, lots of race cars comparable to real life, many of them are named like their physical counterparts because they are "real."

Most companies will not want to get into lawsuits with other companies. Many of them will either ask the companies for permission, use general names that are open, or create their own versions/variation.

MBTI
    INFJ

Yes, but most game companies knows that they are liable for lawsuits even if they slightly change the name of something or slightly alter how a gun looks in the game. The only ones that don't is if they are related to another company or it is beneficial to the other company (free advertisement.)

Think of Gran Turismo, lots of race cars comparable to real life, many of them are named like their physical counterparts because they are "real."

Most companies will not want to get into lawsuits with other companies. Many of them will either ask the companies for permission, use general names that are open, or create their own versions/variation.
    Yeah, I still don't get the connection though. Hypocrisy about a thing does not make the thing untrue.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx