Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    This guy on both counts.

And I'm sure there are others.

Kudos to Randomnity's comment. lol

Then I would guess you have an abusive background.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

ByMySword

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Then I would guess you have an abusive background.
    Well, you found me out. I was beaten with rods every day at a quarter till three. My meals consisted of salted parsley and stale urine. And I was forced to watch violent imagery while listening to Beethoven 8 hours a day.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Don't insult our intelligence, please.
    Right back atcha. When the data doesn't fit your theory, the theory should be discarded, not the data.
    -end of thread-

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Right back atcha. When the data doesn't fit your theory, the theory should be discarded, not the data.
    Who said the data didn't fit the theory?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

This guy on both counts.
    Lol. And for those of Christian persuasion and accept the Bible, just read it. Full of lots of examples of bad parenting and good parenting, and kids who turn out good in bad families, and kids who turn out bad in good families. And while we're thinking of that, God is credited as being the "perfect parent," but according to that religion, many of us have "turned out bad" and even are going to hell.

Good parenting is a good thing, but it certainly doesn't mean you won't have a kid who veers off the line.

But it doesn't have to be the Bible, when real life itself contains such examples.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Who said the data didn't fit the theory?
    Um....you just insinuated that @ByMySword was lying when he said that he is antisocial but didn't grow up in an abusive household, purely because that data point didn't fit your theory that abusive parents cause antisocial kids. Not sure what is unclear about that?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My meals consisted of salted parsley and stale urine. And I was forced to watch violent imagery while listening to Beethoven 8 hours a day.
    no good droogs, I'd bet pretty polly on that, and now gone baddiwad 'n all!

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Malcolm McDowell says hi.

ByMySword

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Time to go to the Red Red Kroovy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hey @ByMySword, thanks so much for that link to the liberal gun owner's essay.

The opening part involving the shooting statistics is actually something I've mulled over independently since this incident occurred. Statistically, this incident seems to be negligible, and I had already been considering it in the same light as plane crashes; emotionally, it's HUGE because of the needlessness of the shooting, the age of the victims, feelings of helplessness, and the speed at which large quantities of information can blaze across the country, providing a sense of intimacy to the event regardless of locale. Still, a decision based solely on strength of emotion does not guarantee (and might undermine) a long-term solution for preventing such incidents in the future.

I've also felt a lot of social pressure to not even bring up such points (statistical comparison to other data) because it sounds impersonal enough for some to view it as offensive, although it should be clear that as a parent and human being I feel shock and outrage over incidents such as this one. I just find it difficult to discuss data when people are still grieving or experiencing overwhelming fear.

The main issue of concern to me -- the "semi-automatic / assault rifle" -- was ambiguous, and I raised it with the caveat that I better wanted to understand it, so I should say that this article was very informative for me. I honestly don't think many people understand the nomenclature or concerns here; I also expect when "assault" weapons are imagined, people think of Jesse Ventura's minigun from "Predator" with its endless supply of rounds.