User Tag List

First 4445253545556 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

ffs, civilians aren't supposed to own rifles.

thread: tl;dr, discussion got way too intangible. some people need to get laid.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    ffs, civilians aren't supposed to own rifles.
    Aren't you in Brazil?

What's the deal there? You just made me think of something that is quite relevant, but I think it would be in poor taste to bring it up unless necessary.

I find it interesting that the non-Americans here didn't pile up on Norway and its gun control laws when they were dealing with a tragic mass killing.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...attacks-6.html
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ unsurprising.

ByMySword

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Were they raised by a pack of rabid wolves?
    Have you ever heard of autism?

I've dealt with several children with this condition as well as others and I can tell you that their problems have nothing to do with the parenting.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post

I've dealt with several children with this condition as well as others and I can tell you that their problems have nothing to do with the parenting.
    You said that it was nature. I don't see autistic kids being mass murderers, unless it's a co-morbid condition, and not the main problem.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post

It's not entirely accurate to say that their condition and behavior has NOTHING do to with parenting. I have an autistic cousin who is violent. He's 18. His mother can't deal with a strong, violent 18 year old, in other words, she can't physically restrain him when he's having a fit of violence. His father could, but refuses to take him in to his home. The only other option was to institutionalize him, where he's becoming more violent, less responsive to therapy and they're basically locking him in his room most of the time. There was a clear connection between moving into a strange place and the increasingly violent behavior. I'm not saying I'm an expert on autism, but parenting is definitely a factor. Although I would say that a great majority of autistic people are not violent and are not a threat to others. The cousin's father, former-uncle?, was also diagnosed as autistic and was raised normally by both parents, when you meet him he seems a little bit aloof and shy, but otherwise normal. He never tried stabbing his mother or raping his sister.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Cheese and rice. Autism doesn't make people mass murderers!

ByMySword

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    You said that it was nature. I don't see autistic kids being mass murderers, unless it's a co-morbid condition, and not the main problem.
    You don't believe that children are born with any mental illness? That to me falls within the category of nature.

Autistic children do have the potential to become violent. I've seen it. But I NEVER said that the condition directly correlated to mass murders. I mentioned it because it is an example of a condition where common social cues are not always accurately read by the individual.

You not "seeing" mentally disabled children doing anything is not enough evidence to rule anything out.

There are obviously other conditions. In any case, my main point is that these conditions do not correlate to parenting, but fall under the category of nature when exploring the nature vs. nurture argument.

Of course parenting takes a role in these situations, but it should not be relied upon solely. Too many of you are taking what I said out of context and as the end all. This was not my intention.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    It's not entirely accurate to say that their condition and behavior has NOTHING do to with parenting. I have an autistic cousin who is violent. He's 18. His mother can't deal with a strong, violent 18 year old, in other words, she can't physically restrain him when he's having a fit of violence. His father could, but refuses to take him in to his home. The only other option was to institutionalize him, where he's becoming more violent, less responsive to therapy and they're basically locking him in his room most of the time. There was a clear connection between moving into a strange place and the increasingly violent behavior. I'm not saying I'm an expert on autism, but parenting is definitely a factor. Although I would say that a great majority of autistic people are not violent and are not a threat to others. The cousin's father, former-uncle?, was also diagnosed as autistic and was raised normally by both parents, when you meet him he seems a little bit aloof and shy, but otherwise normal. He never tried stabbing his mother or raping his sister.
    Autism is a spectrum disorder. Your cousin is likely much further on the lower-functioning end of the spectrum than his father. And it's entirely likely that there are other things going on with him besides autism. In any case, I suspect he would not have the wherewithal or the motive to plan and execute a mass murder. When autistic people are violent, it's usually with their family members or caretakers and a result of having a lower frustration threshold and/or not so great coping mechanisms (which can often be taught, but on the lower functioning end of the spectrum it's much harder or sometimes impossible to teach them).