User Tag List

First 40484950515260 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Can a mod please move the gun-nut portion of this thread to the gun-nut thread? thx.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Or an undersized cannon.
    Meh.

20mm... now that's an undersized cannon.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Meh.

I'm pretty sure if that were mounted it would be a cannon.

But then again so would a .50, technically.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's bizarre that people are willing to speak of guns as just one of the ways to kill people. Sure, it's true. But you've had guns in citizens' hands for all of your country's history. Along with all the other things you had happen, how has this ubiquity of weapons not changed the direction of your culture's ideas? How have you not developed been forced to develop some really quite extreme notions of right and wrong?

And why would you think your notions of right and normal are objectively adequate in general? You guys for instance appear to think mass killings are normal. You believe that killers would use other weapons if they didn't have guns. You appear unaware that killers operate in society too. They don't channel their demons through cultural concepts like you do? They are mysterious animals who stopped being "normal"?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    It's bizarre that people are willing to speak of guns as just one of the ways to kill people. Sure, it's true. But you've had guns in citizens' hands for all of your country's history. Along with all the other things you had happen, how has this ubiquity of weapons not changed the direction of your culture's ideas? How have you not developed been forced to develop some really quite extreme notions of right and wrong?

And why would you think your notions of right and normal are objectively adequate in general? You guys for instance appear to think mass killings are normal. You believe that killers would use other weapons if they didn't have guns. You appear unaware that killers operate in society too. They don't channel their demons through cultural concepts like you do? They are mysterious animals who stopped being "normal"?
    We have notions of right and wrong but the fact is that there are still by far more people who are not doing wrong.

Mass killings are not normal. They aren't even usual.

You can't call it normal until it stops being reported as significant.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yet another hijack....

I think there's a small point there, in that if men had been on staff, yes, perhaps things would have ended with less loss of life. It's something to consider.

But I think it's the last sentence where it's obvious the dialogue is being hijacked for someone else's agenda, with the wording of, "male aggression has been forced out of elementary school..."

Thoughts?

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/19/nati...nized_setting/
    I can't believe even the National Review let that thing go to print. She managed to get almost everything in it wrong. Number one, the school was K-4, not K-5 so there were no "husky 12-year-old boys" there. Number two, there WAS a male janitor there who ran up and down the halls warning kids to get to a safe place. The story has been widely reported.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Meh.

omg, that is so sexy. are those illegal?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    omg, that is so sexy. are those illegal?
    Unless you have a Destructive Device License, because it has a bore over .50 [and isn't a shotgun], no.

I don't know much about how hard it is to get that license though.

Or you could always get a semi-auto like this Solothurn S18-1000:

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah. Speaking of the drug war, this is interesting.

Did the drug war stop drugs? No, because the US is a central haven and a corridor. It's also a central customer. We've got channels from South America, and channels from Asia through Hawaii. Drugs and guns come to the US, and through the US to other countries, and US guns are stolen/traded and shipped south or elsewhere.
    Drugs are prevalent around the world and no government has really successfully stopped their circulation. Not the case with guns.

I think it's not too hard to think why it's much harder to detect drugs than guns.

It's just kind of different here I think. In older societies it's kind of like "well the law says we have to do this, so I guess we better listen." Here it's more like "Are you kidding? Let's see you try it!"
    You've never been to Italy I take it.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Drugs are prevalent around the world and no government has really successfully stopped their circulation. Not the case with guns.

I think it's not too hard to think why it's much harder to detect drugs than guns.
    A lot of significant employment opportunities require a drug test. The police can't even look at your house unless they announce themselves and produce a warrant.

The other parts of the world stopped their guns because people placated to it. Australia did a buyback and got almost 700,000 guns out of it I think because people were willing to obey the law and sell back their guns.

Not so here. Guns can't be seized from homes without breaking the Constitution in such a way that it would likely provoke a civil war.