User Tag List

First 345671555 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I see this all tied into the cultural milleau which celebrates Ayn Rand, pop-Neitzsche philosophising and just doing whatever you damn feel like, when you damn feel like it, regardless of the consequences for your self and just as importantly, or even more importantly, totally innocent others and calls it freedom.

Although there's eruptions of all kinds of violence all over the world lately, its good to read that statistically its meant to be declining because based purely upon media attention and day to day experience I wouldnt think so.
    It is. A masterful book on the topic is 'the better angels of our nature' by Steven Pinker
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1455883115
    spread the word

and its written by an entp
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Oh, trust me. They are.
    Why should we trust you ? : /
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Why should we trust you ? : /
    A fair question. Maybe you shouldn't, but I see little I could gain from lying in this situation.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    A fair question. Maybe you shouldn't, but I see little I could gain from lying in this situation.
    In the grand scheme of things, True. Lets say I trust your intentions, should I trust your judgment ?

... In theory.

“Saruman believes that it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I’ve found. I found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay – simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.”
    -Gandalf the Grey

The bad news is there is nothing the president, governor or chief of police can do about these sorts of things. The good news is that there are many things that ordinary folk can do to hold darkness at bay.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

In the grand scheme of things, True. Lets say I trust your intentions, should I trust your judgment ?
    Were I in your place, I wouldn't. I would simply do my own research to confirm or deny what was said. Too much trust in what other people say will lead you down a dark road. Nothing more than symbols which represent a thought. They carry no inherent truth.

It is. A masterful book on the topic is 'the better angels of our nature' by Steven Pinker
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1455883115
    spread the word

and its written by an entp
    Yeah, I have that book and I have another which is more sociological and statistical perspective.

Its interesting in so far as its not considering there to be a golden age in the past or future but that we're living in the golden age right now, although I do think that there have been times in the past that have been more peaceful but which have been considered more violent by historians in the present than they were.

When I read about the atrocities or the lack there of carried out during or after the second world war I think there was definitely a different culture, despite all the ideological rationalisations for violence and hate that there were, than there is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    “Saruman believes that it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I’ve found. I found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay – simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.”
    -Gandalf the Grey

The bad news is there is nothing the president, governor or chief of police can do about these sorts of things. The good news is that there are many things that ordinary folk can do to hold darkness at bay.
    Tolkein was right when he put these words in the mouth of Gandalf, that's a profound insight and all too true.

This is fact, it's also little appreciated. If people could be moved to as great acts of goodness as they are acts of evil like this shooting today.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    -Gandalf the Grey

I agree. They can't stop this sort of thing. It's up to the people.

Over the years we've had more and more laws, security, metal detectors, surveillance cameras, lock downs, and so forth. Then this happens again and people are all the more surprised. Then the random clamor for additional security begins.

People will only continue to be more and more terrified by these events while their safety bubble continues to grow which makes these events more and more conspicuous.

It's no wonder people think the world is going to shit when these things are put out there with no context. They think that we've tried all this security and this sort of thing still happens so people must be turning really evil, but this doesn't mean that the security is or is not working. It doesn't examine all the crimes that may not be happening - not because of security preventing it, but maybe because some people are just good enough to not do them even if there were no security.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    The more attention the media pays to the shooter and not the victims ensures there will be more shootings.
    What aggravates me is that they focus on him as a mystery, a puzzle, an imposing figure. He needs to be portrayed as the desperate, ill, painstricken and disturbed person that he must have been to have committed this act. He's not someone to be intrigued by. He's someone to pity and prevent.