User Tag List

First 38464748495058 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I disagree. It's circumventing in the chance that any laws actually come down. In the hopes that there will be a clause that exempts items owned before a certain date.
    Ex Post Facto Laws are unconstitutional:

In the United States, the Congress is prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 3 of Article I, Section 9 of the United States Constitution. The states are prohibited from passing ex post facto laws by clause 1 of Article I, Section 10.
    How can you circumvent something not yet in existence?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    I actually like this libertarian solution, aside from one thing.

Semi-auto weapons includes a very wide range of firearms, including .22 LR firearms, which are not being used for these mass shootings. Also, they include many different types of hunting weapons which cannot be classified as assault weapons. Of course, technically speaking a civilian AR-15 cannot be classified as such if you take into account the US Army's definition of an assault weapon.

But I digress. Semi-auto weapons also include handguns. And for the record, there is such a thing as hunting with a handgun. Despite what Hollywood shows, the infamous Desert Eagle was actually intended for sportsmen in this nature.

Looking at it that way, though, if you take the funding from the drug war and put it into securing our schools, then the ban on semi-auto would kind of be overkill, no pun intended. There would be no need to make such a ban on all semi-auto weapons. But if you had to start with some sort of measure, why not focus simply on high capacity magazines?
    Yeah. Speaking of the drug war, this is interesting.

Did the drug war stop drugs? No, because the US is a central haven and a corridor. It's also a central customer. We've got channels from South America, and channels from Asia through Hawaii. Drugs and guns come to the US, and through the US to other countries, and US guns are stolen/traded and shipped south or elsewhere.

It's just kind of different here I think. In older societies it's kind of like "well the law says we have to do this, so I guess we better listen." Here it's more like "Are you kidding? Let's see you try it!"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Ex Post Facto Laws are unconstitutional:

How can you circumvent something not yet in existence?
    It uses a technical limitation so that if a law comes it will have no practical effect.

My opinion is that such a law is a stupid law to begin with, but none the less people are doing this with intent so that the law will effectively be circumvented upon its arrival, if/when it does.

This is because the law has a purpose, and an underlying intent which is the spirit of the law.

For example if for some hypothetical reason a law came that said there will be no more googob hunting in 2014 in order to preserve the googob population, but there is a clamor to hunt googobs while people still can and they end up wiping them out by the end of 2013, then the spirit of the law was circumvented as it came down making it a token law that had no effect.

Maybe some times we want that to be the case but like I said, it is what it is.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It uses a technical limitation so that if a law comes it will have no practical effect.

My opinion is that such a law is a stupid law to begin with, but none the less people are doing this with intent so that the law will effectively be circumvented upon its arrival, if/when it does.

This is because the law has a purpose, and an underlying intent which is the spirit of the law.

For example if for some hypothetical reason a law came that said there will be no more googob hunting in 2014 in order to preserve the googob population, but there is a clamor to hunt googobs while people still can and they end up wiping them out by the end of 2013, then the spirit of the law was circumvented as it came down making it a token law that had no effect.

Maybe some times we want that to be the case but like I said, it is what it is.
    Until it's in existence, there is nothing to circumvent, be it law or spirit.

Positioning oneself advantageously prior to an expected result is nothing but smart.

That's (very) basically how the stock markets work. If you find out (before the rest of the investing class) that a company is about to come out with a revolutionary product, the smart move is to pick up stock in that company before everyone else gets hip to it. For instance buying apple shares prior to the Ipod/phone dropping.

guess who just bought his first assault weapon.

model95.jpg
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post

model95.jpg
    A buddy of mine has one of those.

Make sure your scope mounts are tight enough not to loosen under recoil (of which there is a lot).

MBTI
    INFJ

model95.jpg
    Is that even an assault weapon? That's bolt action isn't it? M95?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

model95.jpg
    You have one of those? wow. How come?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

ByMySword

Is that even an assault weapon? That's bolt action isn't it? M95?
    Its semi-auto.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Its semi-auto.
    Is it the right pic then? That's the M95. Anti materiel .50 rifle in bullpup configuration. The weapon in that pic is a bolty even though there are automatic .50s which look similar.