User Tag List

First 37454647484957 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    The widest path? So....secure the borders, ban new sales of semi-auto weapons, legalize drugs, take the cops, federal agents and money that was being used on the drug war and secure the schools with armed guards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, that's exactly it.

Thank you for reading my mind.
    Jennifer/LEGERdeMAIN 2016
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    LEGERdeMAIN/Jennifer 2016
    At least we have a clear platform, posted public on the Internet four years before the election.
    That's more than Romney did. ROFL.

(I do think you got the order of the names reversed though)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

Stepping back into strategic thinking here:

I attend to approach solutions in a circular pattern -- "Happy Path" reasoning. IOW, shut down the largest obvious avenues of violence that have the easier solutions, to lock those down as we can. Shut down the broadest, most obvious roads first.

It certainly doesn't get them all, but you've knocked off the largest options with the least amount of energy.

Then you proceed to analyze more carefully the avenues of violence that are left, and decide how to dedicate your remaining resources for maximum impact.

For example, I'd guess it's far easier / likely for someone to buy an assault rifle (even through legal means) than it is for someone to buy enough fertilizer (and have the know-how and inclination) to make a nitrate-based bomb such as the one that took out the gov building in Oklahoma City... and especially easier than building a nuclear weapon. Meanwhile, assault weapons seem to have the potential for far more havoc than single-shot revolvers, so leave the revolvers for later.

There's never a silver bullet that will take every thing out in one shot, it's just strategic use of resources to stop the maximum number of potential destructive avenus.

That's pretty high-level thinking, and one needs to dig into the details in order to build a concrete plan, but... that's the way we could approach it.
    Yeah, I get what you are saying here, and it makes a lot of sense. I think my main issue is just the fact that I am incredibly pessimistic about this getting enacted period... much less efficiently. But you and @Nicodemus gave me much extra to think about that I hadn't yet considered.

I don't really have a pony in this race being that I don't own guns and don't plan to either regardless of their legal status.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

At least we have a clear platform, posted public on the Internet four years before the election.
    That's more than Romney did. ROFL.

(I do think you got the order of the names reversed though)
    Hehe. Fixed.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I think my main issue is just the fact that I am incredibly pessimistic about this getting enacted period... much less efficiently.
    I am pessimistic too, honestly. Haven't we already all seen this same song and dance before, numerous times? And yet things still are just what they still are.

I don't really have a pony in this race being that I don't own guns and don't plan to either regardless of their legal status.
    I don't own guns either. Nothing against them, they're just not a priority to me and I haven't needed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Hehe. Fixed.
    "THIS IS FOR YOU HILLARY!!!!"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

I am pessimistic too, honestly. Haven't we already all seen this same song and dance before, numerous times? And yet things still are just what they still are.

I don't own guns either. Nothing against them, they're just not a priority to me and I haven't needed one.

Yes. Way too many times. It would be nice if more people could just govern themselves.

I was sort of considering earlier that this kind of culture is almost its own ecosystem, and I wonder what the potential outcomes would be if actions started getting taken. And that's where Ne takes over and my mind goes everywhere but an actual solution that could be helpful.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    We're not "getting away" with anything.
    I disagree. It's circumventing in the chance that any laws actually come down. In the hopes that there will be a clause that exempts items owned before a certain date.

I'm not saying that it isn't the smart thing to do, but it is what it is.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Well, Barry's put Biden on the case. If there's anyone who could get the job done, it's that guy.

"THIS IS FOR YOU HILLARY!!!!"
    AND NARNIA!!! BUT MOSTLY YOU HILLARY... (but also Narnia)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Take the guns away.

Apparently what I said above is a controversial topic in the US.

When mentally disturbed or highly stressed and if one has direct access to firearms it is most likely that people are going to get hurt.

That kid wouldn't have killed a single person if he only had knife.
    He probably would have killed at least his mother with less than a knife by the looks of it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well, they were just examples, but I still imagine it would be easier to buy a weapon and fire it without training than it would be to purchase materials for and assemble explosive material in private without blowing yourself up, without training.
    I'm sure you're right about that.

(sorry about being a damp towel, not trying to go after you [which I'm sure you already know] )

EDIT - when my buddies and I tried to make an exploding target out of it (we were on my buddies family land that has a decommissioned lime mine on it and took safety precautions) we couldn't get it to blow up for the life of us. With explosives made of stable compounds the trick is usually trying to get it to go boom, not keeping yourself out of harms way when it does so accidentally.